1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Wood Heat Thread ~ post pics

Discussion in 'Garage / Workshop' started by OZ-T, Sep 2, 2012.

1. Mar 22, 2013 at 6:23 PM
    kingston73

kingston73 Well-Known Member

Member:
    North eastern Ohio
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4.0L 4x4
    My wife makes fun of me for being such a scrounge, I'll stop at a persons house if I see they have a tree down and ask them if they want the wood and I'm constantly looking on Craigslist for free wood.

Oz, what kind of tree is madrone? I've never even heard of it here in Massachusetts.

2. Mar 22, 2013 at 6:28 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T [OP] You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    The name " madrone " is what's it's called in the States , up here we call it Arbutus

It only lives right along the coast

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arbutus_menziesii

3. Mar 22, 2013 at 6:32 PM
    kingston73

Member:
    North eastern Ohio
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4.0L 4x4
    I've only been on the west coast once, I think I remember seeing that but never knew the name. Is it a hard wood? How long does it take to season? Around here my best wood is locust but it takes a long time to get properly seasoned. It's mainly that and maple for me, but out here on the east coast a lot of people turn their noses up at pine so it's usually easier for me to find it.

4. Mar 22, 2013 at 6:42 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    It's a weird tree , yes hardwood , but it's a leafed evergreen , even in the middle of winter up here it has leaves

Where I am it takes at least 2 years to properly season it , 3 is better if there are rounds .

It twists like a mother when it grows and when it dries so you either have to split it right away when it is green , or wait till it is totally dry .

It burns like coal and gives off more BTU's per cord than any other firewood

http://thelograck.com/firewood_rating_chart.html

5. Mar 22, 2013 at 9:24 PM
    Airun

Airun Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Show Me State
    Vehicle:
    TRD sport, DCLB, 4wd
    Debadged, custom emblem, Husky liners, custom bedrail Yak Trak setup with load bars, , BakFlip Fibermax, OME 3" lift with LightRacing UCAs
    No it's some kind of oak. I've spent a lot of time on the interwebz trying to figure out the species and the best I can figure is Shumard oak.
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quercus_shumardii
    It's grain is gorgeous and its extremely heavy when cut green. This particular tree was diseased and dying and had a lot of spongy areas in it. There were some larvae in areas and some white powdery mildew or fungus in spots as well. They always grow along creeks, streams and washes and father in law calls them water oaks. Several on our land are dying and over the last 10 years it seems as if the rate is increasing.
    This tree was about 36" in diameter at trunk and I split it all by hand, but I had to slab around the outside first. Fun times. Made 2 loads. About 3 rick.
    :notsure:

Last edited: Mar 22, 2013
  6. Apr 28, 2013 at 12:11 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Picked up a load of smaller fir and alder logs destined for a burn pile at work

Cut them to 5' - 6' for easier transport

[​IMG]

7. Apr 29, 2013 at 12:03 PM
    motorcycle07

motorcycle07 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Middle of somewhere
    Vehicle:
    '13 Acc 4X4 V6 TRD Tow
    First year heating with wood. Moved out of the folk's to a place with a standalone cast fireplace (not sure what to call it). In the colder weather I am only able to use it as supplemental heat. It is not airtight so it is running wide open all the time. I know I'm sending a lot of heat right out of the chimney but I have plenty of trees on the farm to use. On the upside I don't worry much about a flue fire! I plan on getting a new stove this summer. Started out with about a cord and a half and thought that would do me for most of the winter and I went trough it it under a month. Then my 86' pickup was murdered and I had to use my grandpas dodge for a few months before I bit the bullet and bought a '13 tacoma. Attached is my truck a few days after I got it with a load of oak.

This winter I mainly cut up a cord or so at a time of dead wood. Mostly red oak and elm. Next year I will have a bunch of shittier wood that came from fence rows and is seasoning now. Mostly mulberry and wild cherry but some locust, hedge, and maple.

I enjoy the hell of of heating with wood.

DSC_0196.jpg

8. Apr 29, 2013 at 12:12 PM
    Mapcinq

Mapcinq Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Ontario, Canada
    Splitting some wood for the shed.

DSC_0439_zpsf9815a78_c6ddd8bd87d7d6af8ea3ee98822eb06c891a3356.jpg

Last edited: Apr 29, 2013
  9. Apr 29, 2013 at 12:28 PM
    tacobell007

tacobell007 Western Mass Automotive Coatings

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Western MA
    Vehicle:
    06 Regular Cab Lifted
    Eibach springs, OME Dakars, Walker Evans remote resi coilovers with adjustable dampening, Icon tubular uniball UCAs, Icon ext travel rear shocks, Kenwood in-dash nav receiver, Kicker 10 inch sub in a ported truck box, Alpine 250 watt amp, stickers, Rigid 32" gang box, LED tool box lights, 35% tint, Flowmaster Super 44 muffler, 35x12.5x17 Mastercraft Courser MXT's, Fuel Off-Road Trophy d551 in 17x8.5, Retros, white corner marker bulbs, color matched front grille, custom satoshi grille mod with matching Toyota badge, aFe Pro5R drop in filter, diff breather mod, new frame from recall, SOS concepts front plate, SOS concepts rear high clearance plate with swing out and full size spare, SOS bolt-on sliders with kickout, 22" LED bar, flush mount pods in rear plate bumper for aux reverse lights, Rigid Industries dually's on SOS ditch light brackets, 5.29 Nitro gears, ARB front air locker, Detroit locker in the rear
    Just helped my boss out at his house a couple weekends ago. Took down 3 huge maples, trunks at the base were probably 22 inches in diameter. I know one of the trees had been tapped about 7 or 8 times about 30 years ago. We are guesti-mating about 6 or 7 cords of wood. Pieces in the pictures need to be split at least one more time to fit in a wood stove.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We use a wood stove at my house for heat. We had a problem the first couple years with the upstairs not getting heat, but we solved that with a piece of PVC allowing cold air down the stairs and warm air to rise. Before you could literally feel the wall of cold air about 4 steps from the top.

10. May 21, 2013 at 7:30 AM
    Mapcinq

Mapcinq Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Ontario, Canada
    Finally got a pic of the stove at my cabin:

[​IMG]

And getting some wood on Saturday:

[​IMG]

11. Sep 11, 2013 at 5:29 PM
    cdikkers

cdikkers Minimum Wage!

Member:
    First Name:
    Casey
    New Berlin, IL
    Vehicle:
    Speedway Blue '05 PreRunner
    I made a curbside stop and decided to save the Department of Public Works a little effort. I figured Oz would approve...

[​IMG]

12. Sep 11, 2013 at 5:41 PM
    kingston73

Member:
    North eastern Ohio
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4.0L 4x4
    If you get a modern epa rated stove you'll be amazed how much less wood you use. Also locust is damn near the best wood you can burn, wicked dense and will burn nearly as long as seasoned oak.

13. Sep 11, 2013 at 8:31 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Madrone is the best firewood there is

14. Sep 11, 2013 at 8:32 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Damn , it's almost woodstove time of year again

15. Sep 14, 2013 at 10:53 PM
    Airun

Airun Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Show Me State
    Vehicle:
    TRD sport, DCLB, 4wd
    Debadged, custom emblem, Husky liners, custom bedrail Yak Trak setup with load bars, , BakFlip Fibermax, OME 3" lift with LightRacing UCAs
    Hmmmm, we need a hedge (osage orange) VS madrone showdown:)

16. Sep 14, 2013 at 10:54 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Shipping might cost a bit , lol

17. Sep 15, 2013 at 6:38 AM
    motorcycle07

motorcycle07 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Middle of somewhere
    Vehicle:
    '13 Acc 4X4 V6 TRD Tow
    Yes and hornbeam too. From what I read it is suppose to put out more heat/mass than hedge. My tree book says it is suppose to grow in my area but unfortunately I have never run across any.

My new stove was delivered the other day. Now I just need to finish up the floor remodel in the stove room so I can install the stove.

DSC_0010.jpg
    DSC_0009.jpg

18. Sep 15, 2013 at 7:57 AM
    Airun

Airun Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Show Me State
    Vehicle:
    TRD sport, DCLB, 4wd
    Meh, it's only a 3500 miles trip. I hear y'all got some decent bike trails up your way.

Edit: 3500 kilometers

19. Sep 19, 2013 at 7:49 AM
    Noelie84

Noelie84 What Could Possibly Go Wrong?

Member:
    First Name:
    Noel
    Wales, Maine
    Vehicle:
    '15 Ram 2500 Land Barge
    8.5 Fisher XV2, some switches, some lights.
    Lit the first fire of the season the other day. Haven't needed to since, but it was below freezing outside for the first time of the season.
    We've got two woodstove options; an old Elmira wood cookstove in the upstairs addition (complete with hot water reservoir!) that I restored over the summer, and a Hearthstone Mansfield in the cellar that I restored last fall that is our primary heat source once it gets good and cold out (can't even light it before it's at below freezing 24/7, or else it'll roast you out of the house)

Don't have a pic of the cookstove here, but here's the cellar monster.

[​IMG]

20. Sep 28, 2013 at 4:41 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Brought my wood forward from my storage area woodshed up to the one by the house today

Mixed alder , fir , madrone

[​IMG]

To Top