1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Wood Heat Thread ~ post pics

Discussion in 'Garage / Workshop' started by OZ-T, Sep 2, 2012.

1. Aug 3, 2015 at 11:54 AM
    OZ-T

OZ-T [OP] You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Yes , we got a weekend of rain a couple weeks ago which helped a bit but it's since been dry and hot again so there are more new fires . My area is still in Drought Level 4 ( highest ) and the Wildfire Danger Level is Extreme ( no saws in the bush )

2. Aug 3, 2015 at 12:57 PM
    Noelie84

Noelie84 What Could Possibly Go Wrong?

Member:
    First Name:
    Noel
    Wales, Maine
    Vehicle:
    '15 Ram 2500 Land Barge
    8.5 Fisher XV2, some switches, some lights.
    Are you allowed to go 'old school' and use an old crosscut saw and an axe? Or is it because they're concerned about branches/sticks being left behind as additional tinder?

3. Aug 5, 2015 at 7:10 AM
    ivoryaddict

ivoryaddict Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Northern California
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD offroad MGM DCSB
    Custom Headache Rack, BAMF Kick-out sliders with fill plate Level Kit, ARB bumper, Warn Winch Ruff Tuff Digital Camo Seat Covers Fuel 16" Boost Wheels Duratrac 285/75/16 X-tra D-Rings in Bed
    Ouch! :) It's worth reporting on. I've been repairing the foundation of an old homestead with a friend; as we left the site last Thursday, the lighting cut loose all over. Fortunately, the fire was stopped within 30 yards of the house. We have so many fires in close proximity they are beginning to merge. Long story short, it is a mess here in Trinity County, CA.

4. Aug 5, 2015 at 10:20 AM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Yeah , you can do that . I'm not super concerned , I think I can cobble together enough wood for this year with what I have around but I usually like to be 2 years ahead so that streak is definitely going to end

5. Aug 10, 2015 at 5:41 AM
    Noelie84

Member:
    First Name:
    Noel
    Wales, Maine
    Vehicle:
    '15 Ram 2500 Land Barge
    Nice to have reserves, that's for sure. My firewood guy actually dropped off my supply for next year on Saturday:

Annoyingly, I'd already dropped 5 cord for next year on another supplier's land, lol. I called my firewood guy a few times starting two weeks ago and hadn't heard back from him, so I found another local guy (who doesn't deliver) and bought 5 cord from him. I'd already worked up and hauled out around 2 cord. Then at 6AM on Saturday I got a call back from my regular firewood guy saying that he had my order loaded up and was on his way :rolleyes:
    So I took delivery, and now I'll just keep a 3-year rotating stockpile instead. :notsure:
    I'll probably play lazy, though, and only work up the 3rd year's supply into 4-foot lengths, stack it in a cribwork grid, and tarp it for now. :D

I also am jumping ship (kind of) to pellets. :anonymous:
    We have a propane stove in the living room that we never use because it'll burn through 40lbs of propane in about 10 hours of burn time. So I'm ripping that out and installing a pellet stove in the same place. I picked up a pellet stove in Craigslist on Friday. It's only a couple of years old, but they used it as their primary heat source and had put about 10 tons of pellets through it. The fan motor on it had a wicked loud whine/resonance that vibrated through the whole stove, and it leaked smoke at startup. A replacement fan motor is $350, which is why the previous owners were selling the stove (they were buying a new one with a warranty instead :rolleyes: )
    I got it home Friday night and Saturday morning I took the fan motor out and tore it apart. My hunch turned out to be correct; I'd say they had never cleaned it/oiled it. I stripped the motor down, blew it out with the air gun, took a wire wheel to the impeller to remove the caked on scale/fly ash, and repacked the bearings with some high-temp wheel bearing grease. Put it back together and reinstalled it with some red gasketmaker to help seal up the (cracked) factory ceramic gasket (the source of the smoke leak) and fired it up. Works perfectly. No smoke and it's almost completely silent. :woot:

So now I've got a nearly new pellet stove that cost over $2500 three years ago, and I only spent $500! :bananadance:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 11, 2015
  6. Aug 16, 2015 at 2:20 PM
    Noelie84

Member:
    First Name:
    Noel
    Wales, Maine
    Vehicle:
    '15 Ram 2500 Land Barge
  7. Aug 16, 2015 at 2:25 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Damn be careful

8. Aug 16, 2015 at 2:46 PM
    Explor

Explor Don’t take the trip ... let the trip take you

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Northampton County Pa.
    Vehicle:
    FUN
    TRD valve stem caps , A Chimney & Back up camera. , Cooper STMaxx 255/80/17, SCS Dark Bronze wheels, , bed matt, weathertech floor liners and bug deflector , flyzeyez dash and glove box light , Best Top supertop, Brute Force Sliders , Bumpers ,KC back up lights, vent shades, tinting, superwinch 9.5 , Factor 55 winch thimble , KC ditch lights , BAMF IFS skid plates , Tepui Ruggedized RTT , Awning , Bed light kit , Hood Struts , Camburg UCAs ,Bud built gas skid , all pro differential skid , cbi jerry can holder , 15lb CO2 Tank , URD short shift , Defined engineering shackle bolt crossmember, Clazzio seat covers , 4:56 Nitro gears , ARB rear locker, CMKA12 compressor. Super Bump Stops, Bushwacker Flares , CBI bed rack , king resi front 700# , OME Dakar, Bilstein 6100's 10" light bar diode dynamics , AV monster fogs , TC bed reinforcement brackets , TC spindle gussets w swaybar Yeasue Ham , cb
    image.jpg I use Wood and Coal. About 1 1/2 cord a year and a little over a ton of coal. This stove has saved me lots of money over the years.
    Bought it back in 1983 for $450 bucks New !!
    Changed door gaskets a couple times , fire brick once , glass once.image.jpg

9. Aug 16, 2015 at 3:34 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Damn , coal , I thought that went out about the same time as the introduction of the horseless carriage

10. Aug 16, 2015 at 6:46 PM
    Noelie84

Member:
    First Name:
    Noel
    Wales, Maine
    Vehicle:
    '15 Ram 2500 Land Barge
    Depends on where you live. They still mine it in Appalachia, so it's still pretty cheap there. And there's nothing like it for heat. But man oh man, the dust...
    My gram used to burn a few tons of coal a year, and nothing warmed you up faster when you came in from hunting than sitting in front of that stove. Especially because she kept the house in the low 80's.
    :bananadead:

11. Aug 16, 2015 at 8:35 PM
    Maticuno

Maticuno Resident Pine Swine

Member:
    California High Deserts
    Vehicle:
    2011 Suburban 2500
    JBA Shorty Headers, Flowmaster FlowFX Sing/Dual Exhaust
    Took me a second, then my sphincter clinched.

12. Aug 17, 2015 at 4:43 AM
    Noelie84

Member:
    First Name:
    Noel
    Wales, Maine
    Vehicle:
    '15 Ram 2500 Land Barge
    Yeah...
    I was cutting a piece and stuck my boot under it to lift it off the ground to keep the chain out of the dirt. I've been cutting there for a couple of weekends now, so the sawdust is pretty deep, and my foot was a little further left than I thought it was. As soon as I felt it tickle the boot tip I pulled the saw back, but it was still unnerving. I always wear steel toes when I'm cutting, but I've never kissed the boot with the chain before now.
    I took it as an indicator that it was time to be done for the day.

13. Aug 17, 2015 at 5:14 AM
    KB Voodoo

KB Voodoo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Glenwood, NY
    www.kbvoodoo.com
    Wood isn't my primary source of heat, but I love cutting it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There was an Avalon gas stove here when I bought the place. Putting this Regency in was one of the first things I did.

[​IMG]

jmaack likes this.
  14. Aug 17, 2015 at 9:38 AM
    Maticuno

Maticuno Resident Pine Swine

Member:
    California High Deserts
    Vehicle:
    2011 Suburban 2500
    JBA Shorty Headers, Flowmaster FlowFX Sing/Dual Exhaust
    Loving that setup! :thumbsup:

15. Aug 17, 2015 at 9:53 AM
    Noelie84

Member:
    First Name:
    Noel
    Wales, Maine
    Vehicle:
    '15 Ram 2500 Land Barge
    Me too, but that forced perspective is hurting my brain.

16. Aug 17, 2015 at 10:02 AM
    KB Voodoo

KB Voodoo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Glenwood, NY
    www.kbvoodoo.com
    That little stove heats the ground floor and loft really well. I cut all my wood pretty small to make it easier to load.

17. Aug 17, 2015 at 10:10 AM
    beachingtaco

beachingtaco "We have assumed control"

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Long Island, new york
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCLB trd sport
    westin nerf bars, ARE in-channel visors, Wet Okole's, mobtown tailgate skin, Tail Gate theft mod
  18. Aug 18, 2015 at 4:46 PM
    CorrosiveTendency

CorrosiveTendency When up to your nose in shit, keep your mouth shut

Member:
    First Name:
    Nathan S.
    Schuylkill Co, Pa
    Vehicle:
    05' DblCab SB Speedway Blue
    OME 885's, Locker Mod. Bilstein 5100's on 4 corners
    I live in coal country Pennsylvania. Small mines all over.

19. Aug 18, 2015 at 4:57 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    I didn't mean I thought coal was no longer mined , I know you guys use a lot of coal fired powerplants still , I meant I didn't realize it was still used residentially

20. Aug 18, 2015 at 5:03 PM
    Explor

Explor Don’t take the trip ... let the trip take you

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Northampton County Pa.
    Vehicle:
    FUN
    TRD valve stem caps , A Chimney & Back up camera. , Cooper STMaxx 255/80/17, SCS Dark Bronze wheels, , bed matt, weathertech floor liners and bug deflector , flyzeyez dash and glove box light , Best Top supertop, Brute Force Sliders , Bumpers ,KC back up lights, vent shades, tinting, superwinch 9.5 , Factor 55 winch thimble , KC ditch lights , BAMF IFS skid plates , Tepui Ruggedized RTT , Awning , Bed light kit , Hood Struts , Camburg UCAs ,Bud built gas skid , all pro differential skid , cbi jerry can holder , 15lb CO2 Tank , URD short shift , Defined engineering shackle bolt crossmember, Clazzio seat covers , 4:56 Nitro gears , ARB rear locker, CMKA12 compressor. Super Bump Stops, Bushwacker Flares , CBI bed rack , king resi front 700# , OME Dakar, Bilstein 6100's 10" light bar diode dynamics , AV monster fogs , TC bed reinforcement brackets , TC spindle gussets w swaybar Yeasue Ham , cb
    Haha ! It's cheap, gives great heat , less work than wood , beautiful dancing blue flames , very cozy.

We keep the house @ 75*
    Yes the dust .... Only drawback
    Not far from Schukill county and carbon county

To Top