1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Word to the wise - Lug nut torque

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by korny351, Oct 9, 2010.

1. Jan 13, 2011 at 6:09 AM
    Blkturbo!

Blkturbo! Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Henderson, NV
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma; 05 Seadoo RXP; 94 Turbo Supra
    Icon Coilovers, Downsouth UCAs, rear Icon "2.5" shocks and Toytec single AAL. Still gotta do exhaust, dark headlights and re-gear the rear diff.
    I'll need more than your post to stop using it on threads after about 15yrs of use.
    Anti seiz lubricant:
    "to prevent galling, corrosion and seizing and to assure easier disassembly."

WD40 is nothing more than crap left over from decades ago. Its worthless. Yes, PB Blaster kicks ass for breaking rusted/corroded threads free - that have never seen anti seize.

2. Jan 13, 2011 at 6:15 AM
    Cr250jumper

Cr250jumper Señor member

Member:
    The moon
    Vehicle:
    50 shades of tan©
    Tacoma with some stuff melted to it

Or your wheel falls off. Years ago my mom had picked up her truck from getting new brakes and the tech forgot to tighten the lugnuts. Her wheel fell off a few miles don the road! Having them too tight is just a pain but thats not the only thing that can go wrong. NEVER trust anybody with something that could threaten your life.

3. Jan 13, 2011 at 7:09 AM
    BCTacoma2010

BCTacoma2010 Michigan Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Southwest Michigan
    Vehicle:
    2017 Ford Platinum F150
  4. Jan 15, 2011 at 6:07 PM
    Archangel

Archangel Insurance Agent

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    '13 IS250
    If you walked into my store with anti-sieze on your studs, I'd take all that crap off. The torque that you're referring to is measured by the friction required to exert 90lb/ft of force onto the lug to hold the wheel in place. Anti-sieze alters the friction point significantly higher than what it is without lubricant. I've worked on everything from 67 Camaros to 2010 Bentley Continental without so much as an issue. I always use a pre-torque stick and pre-torque them to 65lb/ft of torque, and hand tighten them down to factory specs.

5. Jan 16, 2011 at 5:47 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Nothing wrong with using anti-seize. I use it and have never had a problem in the many many years of vehicle ownership. I use the stuff at work too.

6. Jan 16, 2011 at 10:20 AM
    Blkturbo!

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Henderson, NV
    Vehicle:
    Icon Coilovers, Downsouth UCAs, rear Icon "2.5" shocks and Toytec single AAL. Still gotta do exhaust, dark headlights and re-gear the rear diff.
    For sake of conversation only (and not some biggest dick competition), because of this so-called torque/friction alteration, what would be your best guess at what my actual torque is with anti seize and a wrench set at 75lbs?

7. Jan 16, 2011 at 10:37 AM
    Blkturbo!

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Henderson, NV
    Vehicle:
    I have to agree 100% based on my earlier experience:

Before i ever used anti seize, i would frequently find sheared thread particles on studs and in the lugs. Threads actually being ruined and rounded from such dry abuse. Dry threads that squeak BAD from having no lube at all on them. You shouldnt have to kick the shit out of your lug wrench to get a lug off....talk about heat on a thread.
    Ever since I started using anti seize, i have never seen another shaved/sheared thread particle. That means a lot to me... that im know im not ruining threads anymore. Now, if this means my wrench is applying something like 85lbs instead of 75, oh well, no harm done.

I also use this on my targa top (supra) because so many guys in the forums were getting stripped threads and couldnt get their roof completely off or back on - major headache! My roof is perfectly fine and its a 16yr old car now.

I also use it on spark plugs. The last damn thing I ever want to do is ruin a f*cking head!

I'll never have to buy a tap and die set :)

8. Jan 16, 2011 at 10:57 AM
    Mod

Mod Well-Known Member

Member:
    CR, WA
    Vehicle:
    1999 8 port 3RZ 4WD SR5
    stock
    A slight/tiny dot of anti seize on a new stud, but nothing on a used stud, dont get any on the tapered seat of the lug nut were it touches the wheel. Run the lug nut down with a gun until the lug nut just touches the seat, then hand tighten with a calibrated torque wrench. Just took mine down to the industrial tool shop to have it checked and it was right on the money.

Using one of these wrenches,,and yes, you can back off the lug nut or any nut to see where it has been torqued to with this one. A beam style torque wrench can also be used to see the un-torque. Can be set to both inch pound and foot pound on this one,;)
    http://www.amazon.com/GearWrench-85071-Foot-Pound-Inch-Pound-Electronic/dp/B000NICGXS

9. Jan 16, 2011 at 1:56 PM
    Taco4x4NC

Taco4x4NC Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Western North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 DC/LB "Pytrite Mica/Katzkin leather
    3m clear bra or Venture, stant locking gas cap, Shield, front windows tinted, weathertechs, ARE "Z" topper. Sockmonkey decal, Billy 5100's x 4 corners, Eibach coils, Toytec 1.5 AAL. Michelin 265/75/16 MS2's, Grillcraft MX series/TOYOTA badging. FJ/SE TRD Anthracite gray wheels. Katzkin leather/heated seats.
    Discount tire hand torques the lugs on my Taco......never an issue. Sorry to hear about your lugs.

10. Jan 16, 2011 at 1:58 PM
    04LTtacoma

04LTtacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oregon
    Yeah use the torque wrench to loosen them lug nuts.:D

11. Jan 16, 2011 at 2:05 PM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    You can use a beam torque wrench to loosen.

12. Jan 16, 2011 at 2:14 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    Make sure that your jack and lug wrench in your truck actually will lift your truck and fit the lug nuts also.

My factory lug wrench is one mm too small for the factory lug nuts. And the jack under the front frame rail will lift my front tire only about an inch off the ground. Had I not figured this out and got some more tools in the truck, there is no way I could change a tire on my own. And anyone who has a lift is in danger of not having enough jack height to do the job also.

13. Jan 16, 2011 at 2:30 PM
    southpier

southpier Well-Known Member

Member:
    [joe] is there a specific brand & type of jack you use?

[blkturbo] is there a brand of antiseize you have used with success?

thanks

14. Jan 16, 2011 at 2:39 PM
    TexasTacoma37

TexasTacoma37 Well-Known Member

Member:
    I just keep two wood blocks with the jack. That solves the height problem.

15. Dec 26, 2013 at 1:07 PM
    LadTacoma

LadTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ray
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    Prime Mover

with a flat tire, you should have more clearance. :D

16. Dec 26, 2013 at 9:50 PM
    Wishbone Runner

Wishbone Runner Because 4R

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    CO
    Vehicle:
    04 SR5 4Runner
    King/Dirt King
    You still need to put the spare on though . . .

17. Dec 26, 2013 at 11:40 PM
    Mod

Mod Well-Known Member

Member:
    CR, WA
    Vehicle:
    1999 8 port 3RZ 4WD SR5
    stock
    I go for the Safety Seal plug kit and compressor if it applies first,,then think about the spare if needed.

If you received one of these for Christmas, toss the slime bottle and keep the compressor. Once you put this CRAP in your tire to plug a VERY VERY small puncture, the slime plug will start leaking again after just a few miles and then no repair patch will hold on the inside of the tire. You will be buying a tube to fix it more permanently.
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Slime-Roa...bucket_id=irsbucketdefault&findingMethod=p13n

Next year, ask for a Safety Seal plug kit.
    http://www.safetyseal.com/

18. Dec 29, 2013 at 2:16 PM
    wingspar

wingspar Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma 4x4 Access Cab
    I’ve never used or owned an impact wrench, but I’m considering one because I am considering adding another set of wheels and tires for the summer, and would like to be able to change them myself, but wonder if impact wrenches can be set to a certain ft/lb torque? I only have an inch/lb torque wrench. Sold my ft/lb torque wrench a few years ago.

A horror story for over torqued lug nuts. A few years ago I got a flat tire up in the hills. Due to time of day, I knew I would not see anyone else on that road. I keep a socket set in the truck to change tires with, but nothing I could do could ever loosen a single lug nut. All I managed to do was round the nuts off. I was forced to drive to the nearest house on a gravel road. Some 15 miles. Needless to say, the tire and rim were shot. Got a ride home from the house I had to leave the truck at, and had to pay for a tow truck the next day. A time consuming expensive learning lesson. I talked to the guys that put the tires on and even rotated them every 5k miles, and they just said they didn’t over torque them. I don’t think I’ve seen them use a torque wrench, but next time I’ll watch them and make sure they don’t over torque them. That was a miserable experience.

I’ve always heard 80 ft/lbs for lug nuts. Is that correct for the Tacomas?

19. Dec 29, 2013 at 6:59 PM
    Rmodel65

Rmodel65 Yukon Cornelius

Member:
    Jawja
    Vehicle:
    1996 Yota 4x4
    Viper Red paint
    impacts are for removing stuff and not putting it on...

20. Dec 29, 2013 at 7:15 PM
    01 dhrracer

01 dhrracer Well-Known Member

Member:
    Palm Desert/Bermuda Dunes
    Vehicle:
    Still Shopping
    I don't believe you understand what the torque or twisting force is doing. When torqueing a fastener what you are doing is putting a pulling force on the stud and in return the stud is trying to pull back or return to its natural or relaxed length. Friction weather its on the threads or from the taper faces will actually give a false reading. For more on this do some research on the process of torque to yield ie. lots of head bolts use this process.

Products Discussed in

To Top