1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Workers at Amazon Warehouse don't get paid for Screening when they leave. thoughts?

Discussion in 'Jobs & Careers' started by Ghost., Oct 3, 2014.

1. Oct 8, 2014 at 5:59 AM

1980 Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Dust Bowl
    After spending a couple of decades as an Army medic and civilian paramedic and actually seeing what damage bullets do, I am much less inclined to want to shoot someone unless they are threatening to harm me or someone else. Nothing I own or any inconvenience to me is worth inflicting the pain and suffering of a gunshot wound.

2. Oct 8, 2014 at 6:06 AM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius
    I have to drive an hour each way to work.... how do sue someone so I can get paid for that? :laugh:

Man up people. Just be glad to have employment. Sound like a bunch of stuck up snobs to me. I have to work an additional 2-1/2hrs per week standing in line for security...wahhh wahhh.

I'm salaried and have been for over a decade. Do I complain to my boss when I have to work 70hrs a week because it's not in my contract? HELL NO!

20 years ago this conversation would never take place.

Sue everyone! The new modo of the oppressed :rofl:

So sad what this world is coming to. And people wonder why America no longer is the #1 manufacturing country in the world and no one has jobs... hmmm lets think about it.

3. Oct 8, 2014 at 6:15 AM
    Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    Everyone wants $20+ an hour to do minimal skill jobs. Thats why. companies can go overseas or south of the border and pay a fraction of that.

The gov. is the same way though (thats one of the reasons it is broke). I'm way overpaid for what I do (gov. contractor) but Im not gonna complain about it:D

4. Oct 8, 2014 at 6:18 AM
    Roundarc

Roundarc Former Tacoma Owner

Member:
    First Name:
    Allan
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2019 Ford F150 XLT
    Just because it's in the company handbook doesn't mean that it is right or just. If I was writing the handbook, I'd be sure to include the clause: " From time to time a supervisor may come by your station and physically kick you in the ass if you are not performing your duties as prescribed." I can't tell you how much I'd like to put that in there.

My point of contention is that the security process is a condition of employment and is therefore integral to the performance of my job because they are not mutually exclusive. These are hourly non-union workers and are not classified as exempted employees.

5. Oct 8, 2014 at 6:50 AM
    GEORGE STRAIT

GEORGE STRAIT (Not the real George Strait)

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Da Magic City, AL
    Vehicle:
    Smart Fortwo '10 Hybrid
    excellent post. hit the nail on the head

[​IMG]

6. Oct 8, 2014 at 10:03 AM
    T4RFTMFW

T4RFTMFW Well-Known Member

Member:
    Gotcha. I figured as much, but I've heard a few with similar comments here who meant it and my assumption machine is now no longer calibrated. :)

7. Oct 8, 2014 at 10:04 AM
    T4RFTMFW

T4RFTMFW Well-Known Member

Member:
    Can you change the "Prime Membership" to "Tacoma Owners Only?"

8. Oct 8, 2014 at 10:29 AM
    Fifthwind

Fifthwind Master of None

Member:
    First Name:
    Murph
    Lehigh Valley, PA
    Vehicle:
    Scully
    Barcelona Red 09 DCOR- Icon 2.5" ECOs w/CDC - 14" 700lb, ICON 2.0 RR Ext rears, AP EXPO pack, Diff Wedge, Diff and Skid Drop, Discoverer S/T 255/85/16, Ride-Rite Bags w/ Daystars, ARB Bull/winch Bumper, Warn 8k, ARB CMK12, Budbuilt skids, BAMF bolt on sliders BAMF diff diaper, bedlights, hoodlights, BAMF CB, etc.
    I wonder how many of you have actually been in any of these distribution facilities, know any of the affected people, or actually had to go through one of these lines.
    From previous threads, I have reason to believe that most comments are made by those who only have the mainstream media version of the truth.
    I can tell you that the thefts are not small quantities of items, or small dollar values.
    I can also tell you that it takes several people in collusion to make the theft occur, and that many others are in the know of the crime before it takes place.
    I would not be surprised that the biggest complaints come from those who were stealing the most, and are unhappy that the security measures interfere with their criminal activities.

9. Oct 8, 2014 at 10:44 AM
    Roundarc

Member:
    First Name:
    Allan
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2019 Ford F150 XLT
    Maybe if they mandated speedo's and bikini's as the new work uniform it would speed up the lines and cut down on concealment. They could even brand them with the Amazon logo on the back side. Of course the security guys would need hazard pay. :D

10. Oct 8, 2014 at 11:16 AM
    SH7mi

SH7mi YotaWerx Pro Tune PA MD DE NJ

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    West Grove, Pa.
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tacoma DCLB OR Black YotaWerx Tune
    AE manifold spacer Bed lights Seat Jackers Blackvue Dashcam YotaWerx Tuned Fumoto Oil Pan Valve
    Of the posters in this thread who are paid salary and often work more than 8 hrs per day do you receive some kind of bonus end of year? My son has a salary job and receives one, it has been my understanding during my career ( all hourly) the bonus is compensation for some of the OT salary workers provide.
    An hourly workers bonus is more defined as in time and a half and double time. If I am requested for a drug test off hours I am paid for my time. If I have a 'false positive' result and denied the work, when the results return from the main lab negative I am paid for all the time lost.
    Amazon should definitely be doing this on the clock unless, as others have speculated, it was covered in preemployment.

11. Oct 8, 2014 at 11:37 AM
    Ghost.

Ghost. [OP] TW 1%er

Member:
    First Name:
    Raymond
    Anchorage, AK
    Vehicle:
    2014 4runner Limited
    Works for drug dealers :notsure:

12. Oct 8, 2014 at 7:25 PM
    Joe D

Joe D .

Member:
    Where you live is your choice, do you not see the difference?

13. Oct 8, 2014 at 7:49 PM
    Idaholandho

Idaholandho The other white meat

Member:
    Vehicle:
    3 Now - 2022 Trail Edition, 2015 TRD 4x4 and a 2006 SR5 4x4
    2015 Tacoma, Magnuson Supercharger, Bully Dog Flash and GT, Safari Snorkel, Toytec BOSS 2.5 Coil Over Front, Toytec BOSS Aluma 2.5 Rear, Toytec 10 Leaf Pack, Stainless Brake Lines, Icon UCA's, CBI Reverse Adj Shackle Mounts, CBI Ubolt Flip Kit, Timbren Bump Stops, CBI Bushmaster 2.0 Front Bumper w/ Warn M8000S Winch and SR2 Rigid Flood Lights, CBI Bushmaster 2.0 Rear Swingout Bumper, Rigid SR2 backup lights and Dual RotopaX / Fuel/First Aid Pack, CBI Rock Sliders, CBI Full Skids and CBI Rear Diff Armor, BAMF LCA Skids, FrontRunner Outfitters Slimline II Roof Rack w/ Rigid SR2 40" Combo Light Bar, Rock lights, Rigid pods in Bed Rack, Intelligent Battery System w/ Dual NorthStar batteries, Spod Power Distribution, illuminated switch panel in sunglasses holder, Viar Extreme Duty On-Board Air w/ 2.5 Gallon Tank under bed, Air 2 Air Sys, Magnaflow Exhaust, Fuel Off Road Trophy Wheels, 285/75/17 Toyo Open Country R/T, Diff breather mod, FX-R BHLM Demon Eye headlights, Esuse LED Fog Kit, Pelfreybilt Camera Relocation mount, Pelfreybilt ax/shovel bed mount, Debadged, tint, a 2006 Tacoma SR5 and a 2022 Trail Edition
    So is your job.

14. Oct 8, 2014 at 8:37 PM
    Joe D

Joe D .

Member:
    It's really simple. Is it required by the employer and is it what they control. If so, then paying the employee is fair.

I don't understand why people default to siding AGAINST the employees. I've been an employee and I've owned and servived for years from my own company. I would have NEVER asked any of my employees to do something that was required without paying them. It's morally wrong for any "for profit" business to do so IMO.

15. Oct 8, 2014 at 9:07 PM

1980 Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Dust Bowl
    The only large organization that I've worked for was the US Army. Well, I did work for a couple of colleges too but nobody ever told me what to do, not that I would have listened anyway. I can't imagine myself working for some place like Amazon.

This article mentions some of the rules their workers must abide by, it is a bit old so some of them may have changed. Some, like don't come to work sick and don't show up late are reasonable but some are less so.

Can't wear lipstick.
    Can't drink anything but water in a clear plastic bottle.
    Can't wear a watch.
    No talking.
    Can't use too much tape to seal packages.
    You have exactly seven minutes to clock in and out.

http://www.businessinsider.com/crazy-rules-that-could-get-you-fired-from-amazon-2010-12?op=1

16. Oct 9, 2014 at 6:08 AM
    Roundarc

Member:
    First Name:
    Allan
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2019 Ford F150 XLT
    I don't see any of those as being unreasonable. Most of those rules are designed to protect the product.

17. Oct 9, 2014 at 6:15 AM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius

Who you work for is your choice.

Just man up already.

You don't like it go work somewhere else.

No where else to work then shut your mouth, put your head down, and do your job.

Why does everyone feel they are so entitled these days? I want everything but don't want to do anything. No sense of pride or accomplishment for a hard days work.

Thank god for immigrants who know how to put in a good days work.

No wonder we are importing engineers and people to do manual labor by the literal boat load.

18. Oct 9, 2014 at 6:50 AM
    Bellis

Bellis friggin rad

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    mass southshore
    Vehicle:
    pyrite 6-speed 2012 offroad
    driver mod
    I've been through these check points and similar ones at other distribution warehouses when i used to wire conveyor systems. Honestly i don't get were the whining comes from, it doesn't always take forever often less than 10 minutes and these places are filled with small valuables so security screenings just make sense. i was never bothered by these security checks and i don't see why anyone would consider going through security something they should get paid for. if the company's security is really that slow they need more security guards not to pay everyone OT

19. Oct 9, 2014 at 6:53 AM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius

x2....

I used to do work at PHL all the time when they were adding new terminals. I had security clearance to drive on the tarmac with the planes. Now that's a "real" security checkpoint and it wouldn't even take 30 minutes to search my truck and myself.

20. Oct 9, 2014 at 7:37 AM
    Roundarc

Member:
    First Name:
    Allan
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2019 Ford F150 XLT

Bitter much? How can we expect people to rise above if we don't pay livable wages and treat them fairly and with respect? They build these fulfillment centers in economically depressed areas because they don't require skilled labor and wages are minimum. Sometimes the plantation comes to you.

To Top