1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Working out

Discussion in 'Health' started by cmack, Apr 5, 2010.

1. Apr 5, 2010 at 3:45 PM
    cmack

cmack [OP] Impeach Chris4x4!

Member:
    Just got back from the gym. First time I've worked out in 9 months. Man it feels good to be back! For those of you who consistently go to a gym, what is your typical workout routine? I've mainly been doing weights, but that's because there isn't much cardio I can do due to my knees. Just looking for some ideas. Did 60 minutes of weights today working various muscle areas.

2. Apr 5, 2010 at 3:52 PM
    jodiddly33

jodiddly33 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonah
    DFW
    Vehicle:
    2010 Golf TDI
    i usually do back and biceps one day, skip two days, and then chest and triceps. i start with stretching and abs, and finish with lunges or other leg stuff. i do 20 reps of everything, at a weight where i can keep my form and don't risk injuring myself, or looking like a complete douche haha. sometimes i'll do a full body workout but only if i'm planning on not being able to work out again that week

3. Apr 5, 2010 at 3:53 PM
    JDMcompliant

JDMcompliant Professional Amateur

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma 4x4 4.0L V6
    I typically only work out one body part a day. Usually goes like this:

M - Chest
    T - Back
    W - Legs
    T - Arms
    F - Shoulders

This allows you to isolate the workload on one body part, working it (nearly) to failure. The days are also laid out in which the previous day's body part is not directly involved with the current day's lift, giving it some rest.

I don't do any cardio, really, and I work out for strength and mass, so I do 5-6 reps max with 4 heavy weight sets, 4-5 exercises per day. It usually goes with the exercise with most stabalizer muscles involved first, and progressively more isolated as the workout continues. (e.g. Dumbell press, bench press, cable fly, smith press). Reason for this is because earlier in the day, while you are fresh, you can push your stabilizer muscles more. As you tire, you can give your weaker stabilizers a break with an isolation excercise.

But, as with all workout advice, take it with a grain of salt...as what works for me may not work for you :thumbsup:

4. Apr 5, 2010 at 3:55 PM
    krisjw101

krisjw101 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kris
    Spokane,WA
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma 4x4
    Autobot in my rear window
    P90x....bring it!!

5. Apr 5, 2010 at 3:55 PM
    TREYR

TREYR Well-Known Member

Member:
    I enjoy circuit workouts more then anything...don't need to use much equipment either.

6. Apr 5, 2010 at 4:01 PM
    socal16

socal16 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Diego
    las vegas nv
    Vehicle:
    08 trd offroad black 4x4!!!
    wheels and tires, k&n cold air intake, limo tint,bhlm,TRD seatcovers, OME lift
    m- chest and tris and abs
    t- legs and shoulders
    w-off
    th- back and bis and abs
    fri- cardio and forearms
    sat-off
    sun off

7. Apr 5, 2010 at 4:02 PM
    ToucanV13

ToucanV13 You think I was rollin out here naked?

Member:
    San Diego and Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Infideled out TRD Sport 4X4
    285/70 Hankook AT-M, Window vents, TRD CAI, TRD Cat-back exhaust with WickedFlow can, AFE Throttle Body Spacer, Billy 5100 @ 2.5 and 1" block rear, RBP nerf bars, Halo HIDs, 20% tint up front
    Crossfit!

8. Apr 5, 2010 at 4:03 PM
    cmack

Member:
    I used to do something similar back in my hockey days. Only I'd rotate it out between strictly cardio and strictly weights. I liked doing it this way, but can't anymore. I'll be looking to try out your method for sure! Thanks for the replies guys!

9. Apr 5, 2010 at 4:04 PM
    JDMcompliant

JDMcompliant Professional Amateur

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma 4x4 4.0L V6
    ...I can vouch for crossfit as well. I've been working out with the regiment above for years, and I thought I was pretty fit...took up crossfit at the same time I started jiu-jitsu, and wow, i felt out of shape. crossfit is a true total body workout.

10. Apr 5, 2010 at 4:08 PM
    schiz94

schiz94 Thread Jacker

Member:
    First Name:
    Caleb
    Bellingham,WA
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Reg Cab
    Morimoto Projector Retrofit, alpine cda-105,Wheelskins leather wheel cover, wet okoles,5% tint on back and 24% on front two windows,Debadged tailgate,custom sockmonkey centercap decals, xr rims pced gloss black.
    what happened to your knees? and get to bench press haha. NOT everyone at my school is obsessed with bench. while im over in the corner doing clean haha. work out as many muscles as you can. use a medicine ball that shit works. seated russian twists in sets of 25. thats what we do for football. looks like this. but faster. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5uFIfesXZc

11. Apr 5, 2010 at 4:09 PM
    jdkeller

jdkeller How many words can be fit in this s

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Inland Empire, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma Prerunner TRD Offroad
    Dome light LED, 6000k HID Headlights and fogs, Grillcraft black mesh, rear 5100's, Total Chaos UCA's, 285/75/16 BFG KM2's, Spidertrax spacers, Blacked out emblems, cb,kenwood tm270 ham radio, All Pro 3" leaf pack, Fox 2.0 coilovers, Revenge Fab Sliders, u bolt flip kit, Pioneer avh4200, bed bar with light and antenna, Wet Okoles, Weathertech Mats, Wet Okole Armrests, Rear KR Fab bumper, bed mat, N-Fab spare tire carrier with full size spare on 16" TRD rim, Bedlinered flares and grille. Camburg Spindles, All Pro front fenders.
    Day 1: Chest, tri, abs - run a mile
    Day 2: Back, bi, forearm - run a mile
    Day 3: Legs, shoulder, abs - run a mile

Then start over. Thats if I stick to my routine.

12. Apr 5, 2010 at 4:10 PM
    cmack

Member:
    Definitely will look into it. I used to be really into all of this shit back when I was playing hockey and baseball. I just forgot most of it haha. Appreciate it dudes.

13. Apr 5, 2010 at 7:24 PM
    Jason'sLawnCare

Jason'sLawnCare Prepared for Bambi

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Jacksonville Florida
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 Double Cab TRD Rugged Trail
    CBI Moab 2.0, CBI Trail Rider 2.0, CBI sliders w/kickout, Superwinch EPi9.0S, OME sport shocks w/886 coils, OME n182, 1.5" aal, JasonBuilt 3/16th full belly skid, BuiltRight uca, Body Mount Chop, 285/75/16 km2's, Rear cat delete, exhaust crossover rerouted, Fog light anytime, Locker mod, Rear leaf tsb, Debadged, Uws Tool Box, Electric Exhaust Cutout, AFE Pro Dry S, Kiwi Wifi, Diff Breather Relocated, Grom Ipod Adapter, Dual Diehard platinum batteries isolated by BlueSea marine switch
    Trying to look good for Panda?

14. Apr 22, 2010 at 10:30 PM
    cmack

Member:
    I used to do the elliptical. Then for whatever reason it started buggin my knees. I need only low impact stuff. Since I started working out again, the gym gave me a complimentary 50 minute session with a personal trainer. So hopefully I can get some tips and info from them as well to help find the right balance for me.

15. Apr 22, 2010 at 10:40 PM
    HPaap72

HPaap72 Well-Known Member

Member:
    NWest - PDX
    Vehicle:
    01 Tacoma
    KING 2.5 coil overs, deck plate, k/n, gray wire, driver, blue toothed kenwood
    run from the cops fri and saturday that gets my cardio,
    m - shoulders
    t - back
    w - bi's
    t - chest
    f - tri's

thats my two cents psh

16. Apr 23, 2010 at 2:48 AM
    ToucanV13

Member:
    San Diego and Colorado
    Vehicle:
    285/70 Hankook AT-M, Window vents, TRD CAI, TRD Cat-back exhaust with WickedFlow can, AFE Throttle Body Spacer, Billy 5100 @ 2.5 and 1" block rear, RBP nerf bars, Halo HIDs, 20% tint up front
    :eek: I hope they're not telling you squats are bad! Whoever is the overall authority on sports (can't remember) actually said you can increase your knee flexibility as well as strength in the surrounding muscles. If you perform a squat the right way, you actually improve your knees to be able to handle loads again. Lots of people give up on squats "because they have bad knees." Well, they have bad knees due to poor form, squats are GOOD for you, when done correctly. It might be a good idea to do a 400m run warmup or a 500m row then stretch your legs/hips real well. Could be your IT Band pulling on your knee cap causing the discomfort. Happened to me, now I just stretch 10min after row or run and continue with a good warmup. Try to roll that bad boy too, it'll hurt quite a bit, just don't rely on foam rolling all the time.

http://stronglifts.com/how-to-squat-with-proper-technique-fix-common-problems/

Also don't forget deadlifts. They actually used to be called healthlift surprisingly.

17. Apr 23, 2010 at 3:54 AM
    FirstCohort

FirstCohort Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern Virginia
    Vehicle:
    10 SR5 DC LB 4x4 BSP
    WeatherTech Vent visors, access soft roll-up bed cover, factory side steps, factory bed mat, weathertech floorliner fore and aft, tinted front windows- State legal 50% : (
    In taekwondo 6 days a week for my workouts. Great balance of strength, flexibility, and conditioning. My knee will ache sometimes if I have improper form with all the twisting. The horse stance and back stance really strengthen my knees due to the strengthening of my quads and hamstrings. The stretching helps limber up my IT band which is most of my problem, pulling on the knee cap which has very little cartilage left after my surgery.

18. Apr 23, 2010 at 4:01 AM
    ToucanV13

Member:
    San Diego and Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Dude that shit sucks! As stupid as it sounds, there's a lot of yoga poses that can help

19. Apr 23, 2010 at 4:04 PM
    cmack

Member:
    I know that if you do the squat right, it'll strengthen the quads and help relieve the pain. I started doing them when I was playing hockey, but then for whatever reason I stopped due to other pains. It'd be a good idea to pick up on it though. My old coach was a personal trainer by living, so he did show me the proper technique for them. Here's a vid of my knees. Both of them are like that. You can see my big ass hockey legs :laugh:

I just got home form a workout. Did 35mins of lifting and managed to do a 1.5 miles on the elliptical.

[​IMG]

20. Apr 23, 2010 at 4:30 PM
    ToucanV13

Member:
    San Diego and Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Big ass hockey legs x2 bro :cool:

To Top