1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Workout questions? Ask a Bodybuilder/Personal Trainer

Discussion in 'Health' started by Morrison, Apr 5, 2011.

1. Apr 5, 2011 at 11:47 AM
    luk8272

luk8272 Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Southern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    07 Silver4dr. 4x4, V6 Shortbed
    5% Tint, Bug flector, vent Visors, Removed secondary air filter, Rear Spring TSB w/ Wheeler's Add A Leaf HD Pack, Icon 2.0 rear shocks, Toytec 3" lift up front with Total Chaos UCA's, Debadged, Billet Grille,TRD Offroad rims/17x9 Pro comp 6001 rims, Duratracs 265/75/16 or 285/70/17, Fog light anytime mod, Tailgate hose clamp mod, Pro-dry AFE filter. Extended Differential Breather, ABS on/off, 6000k LEDs from CSJumper, heads/fogs, ScanguageII, Devil horns, Devil horns on third brake light, Mounted 60" Highlift, Mounted Tool Box, Wet Okole Front/Rear Seat Covers, TW sticker, Midland Handheld CB,Painted engine cover, Revenge Fab Sliders, ARE Topper, Weather tech Floorliners, Camper shell, ultimate headlight upgrade. URD -3° exhaust cam gears, .5" XTP Intake spacer. Custom dents.
    If its possible I think it would be a great idea if you could outline a very basic workout for general all around well being. Including number of meals consumed and what to do when. ie: 5 smaller meals a day, morning work out on empty stomach to burn fat, protein 30 mins after a workout. 5 min jog to warm up 30min of working out 10 min of walking to cool down. What supplements you recommend. Just trying to touch on a few things here your the expert. Get us all lined out.

Maybe even break it up say a fat burning regimen, Muscle building section, lean and fast section.
    I and a few others here do martial arts and leaner faster muscles are what I need more than size. I'm just brain storming here, when I have a passion for something I can get out of hand sometimes.

2. Apr 5, 2011 at 12:17 PM
    FISH08

FISH08 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Christian
    Fuquay NC
    Vehicle:
    2010TACO DCLB
    Volant CAI TRD catback exhaust 5100's set @ .85 and eibach coils up front 1.5" Toytec TSB AAL rear Firestone Ride right air bags Wet Okole seat covers Redline hood supports HID Xenon head and fog lights Full Memphis Audio Sound system N-Fab bars
    Wow! this is some great info, I've been working out for about two years now when form 160 to 195 now. I will have to give ur workout a try.

3. Apr 5, 2011 at 12:19 PM
    Morrison

Morrison [OP] BIG RED

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Hickory, NC
    Vehicle:
    '08 PreRunner 6" lift on 35" BFG Mud-Terrains
    Well any workout that's different from you're doing now will be a good one because it's something your body is not used to, which is always good for continuing to see result, but if I had to pick one that I think everyone could benefit from and see the most results from, I would say:

*20-30 minutes of cardio first thing in the morning on an empty stomach (good for tapping into fat stores)
    *first meal should consist of a source of protein (eggs or protein shake) and complex carbs (oatmeal, grits)
    *5-10 minute cardio warm-up to warm up the muscles prior to weights
    *weight training 5-6 days a week, isolating a different muscle group every day (chest, legs, back, shoulders, arms)
    *Pyramid your weight & reps for adequate fatigue of the muscles to ensure growth & strength gains
    *20-30+ minutes of cardio after weights
    *stretch post-workout
    *post-workout protein shake that includes creatine, glutamine, and a complete amino acid profile
    *the rest of your meals should include a combination of protein, carbs, fats (chicken/turkey/fish, brown rice/sweet potatos, green vegetables for fiber)
    *drink as much water as you can
    *at least 8 hours of sleep for adequate muscle growth and repair

those guidelines include supplements like protein which is vital, creatine for muscular energy, strength & endurance, glutamine for repair, and a complete amino acid profile for proper absorption and use of protein and other nutrients consumed, a good multi-vitamin is also good

as far as separating fat burning from muscle building from lean and fast, there's no need, because all of the above guidelines will help you build some muscle, which in turn helps you burn more calories, which helps get you leaner, and bigger/stronger muscles mean faster muscles as well

there ARE sport-specific workouts but generally, working all of your muscles and working them hard and giving them plenty of rest (a full week) will mean an increase in muscular size, strength & endurance, which is why boxers, martial artists, basketball players and even some golfers are trained by bodybuilders, because "big" does not mean slow and it doesn't decrease your flexibility, and "big" is not easily achieved either, so being into martial arts, don't think that training like a bodybuilder will make you "too big" because that kind of size takes years and years of hard training with a strict diet and specific supplementation, so continue doing what you're doing for your martial arts training and incorporate the diet & exercise guidelines I recommended and I'm sure you'll be happy with the results ;)

4. Apr 5, 2011 at 12:34 PM
    woodygg

woodygg Well-Known Member

Member:
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    04 DC Tacoma 4x4
    Something not being mentioned here... IF you're implementing cardio into your workouts, do yourself a favor and research interval training. Much more effective, in a shorter amount of time - at least mix it into your training.

Good article...

http://www.mensjournal.com/cardio-is-bunk

5. Apr 5, 2011 at 12:44 PM
    Morrison

Morrison [OP] BIG RED

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Hickory, NC
    Vehicle:
    yes sir, I use intervals in nearly all of my cardio sessions when training for competitions

6. Apr 5, 2011 at 12:51 PM
    ThreeMan

ThreeMan Opinions Vary...

Member:
    Oswego, NY
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 V6 TRD DCLB
    King Remote Resi Suspension - Total Chaos UCAs - Full Katzkin Leather - Leer Camper Shell - Custom Projector Halo Headlights - HID Fogs - Eagle Eye LED tail lights - Rigid Industries LED Light Bar Mounted in Bumper - Wade In-channel Vent Visors - K&N Filter - 20% on the fronts - Dakar Progressive Leafs - Fuel Beast Wheels wrapped in Hankook Dynapro ATMs - 4 Tie Down Mod - Pop N Lock - Billet Grille - Weathertech Mats - LED Map and Dome Lights - Optima Yellow Top - Redline Elite Hood Struts - Tunes: Eclipse 7100 HU - Eclipse IPC-106 Interface - Audison LRX 5.1K - Hertz Mille MLK2 Components - JL 13TW5 - JL cables and wires - Fully Deadened with SDS products - Metra dash kit - Custom Sub Box and Amp Rack - Still Under Construction.

Thank you. :yay:

+1

7. Apr 5, 2011 at 3:31 PM
    FISH08

FISH08 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Christian
    Fuquay NC
    Vehicle:
    2010TACO DCLB
    Volant CAI TRD catback exhaust 5100's set @ .85 and eibach coils up front 1.5" Toytec TSB AAL rear Firestone Ride right air bags Wet Okole seat covers Redline hood supports HID Xenon head and fog lights Full Memphis Audio Sound system N-Fab bars
    do you do cardio every day? I'm trying to put on size........my goal is 210 to 215 them cutting down to 200 to 205

8. Apr 5, 2011 at 3:35 PM
    crf69

crf69 scraping my emblems off my plasti-dip

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD OR BSP cab'n 1/2
    ummm yeah
    tony horton for the win...

body building?.....sorry dont know

9. Apr 5, 2011 at 5:16 PM
    Morrison

Morrison [OP] BIG RED

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Hickory, NC
    Vehicle:
    thank you sir I appreciate it :)

I don't usually do cardio at all in the off-season because I stay pretty lean all year round anyway because I keep my diet fairly clean and I've got the lean gene anyway I started out a bean pole so I don't naturally carry a lot of fat, but some light cardio like 20ish minutes 3 times a week can actually help with size gains, and you don't have to put on fat to build muscle so I would do enough cardio to keep from gaining fat, and keep the protein high enough and workouts intense enough to build muscle and you'll see cleaner gains than you would otherwise because the gains will be all lean muscle instead of muscle AND fat, that you plan on taking off later anyway, so why gain fat just to lose it later?

lol the reason why P90X is so successful is because of the basic bodybuilding fundamentals behind it, CHANGE...the program gradually changes and increases in difficulty to keep the body responding, to keep seeing results, and that's what we do in bodybuilding, "progressive resistance" is what makes a muscle bigger and stronger, not the same weight and same reps all the time, so finally there's a program out now that brings bodybuilding principles into the living rooms of average people trying to lose weight and get in shape without spending money on gym memberships and personal trainers or expensive home gym equipment

10. Apr 5, 2011 at 5:33 PM
    97yota4wd

97yota4wd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Mesa, AZ
    Vehicle:
    alot of metal, small engine, decent travel.
    caged, camburg long travel, 50t leafpack (soon to be installed) light rack over cab, 5pt harnesses etc
    still in the process of reading all of this great info! +1 rep!

11. Apr 5, 2011 at 5:44 PM
    97yota4wd

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Mesa, AZ
    Vehicle:
    caged, camburg long travel, 50t leafpack (soon to be installed) light rack over cab, 5pt harnesses etc
    okay i have been going to the gym off and on because im very busy with school, work and all that crap. i race dirtbikes and i am finding myself getting really tired almost to the point to where im throwing up after or during. so obviously i need cardio. i usually have races on saturday and sunday. on sunday i wake up so sore i can barely do anything so this sucks for the sunday race ya know? i dont want to get big... im 5'10+ right now and weigh about 170. i would like to get cut and get good cardio. i recently cut candy and soda from my life. its really hard haha. what do you suggest i can do to achieve my goal of not being tired and sore? what would be a good workout?

12. Apr 5, 2011 at 6:00 PM
    Morrison

Morrison [OP] BIG RED

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Hickory, NC
    Vehicle:
    thanks bro I appreciate the reps! :yay:

well you say you don't want to get "big" but in order to get "cut" you have to gain muscle, and you're tired because your body isn't getting enough regular exercise, so I would start doing cardio at least 20 minutes 3 times a week starting out, you'll want to increase it little by little later on, and start a light weight training circuit on the machines to start with, one exercise for each muscle group, 2-3 sets of each exercise, something for chest, back, shoulders, arms, legs and core, and hit that full body circuit 3 times a week with at least a day or two in between, to get your body used to the weights and to minimize that initial soreness you'll get, you also need to add some good clean complex carbs to your diet like oats, brown rice, sweet potatos, etc because carbs = energy and you need energy for your workouts and for your races, and PROTEIN is a must for the growth and repair of your muscles so throw in a couple protein shakes a day as well, and all this will give you the muscular strength and endurance you'll need to be able to perform in the races without extreme fatigue

13. Apr 5, 2011 at 6:06 PM
    97yota4wd

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Mesa, AZ
    Vehicle:

okay thanks!!
    i drink a post workout drink almost every time but i buy it from a nutrition shop by gym. should i try any suppliments? should i make my own shakes? what should i put in it?

should i always do circut workouts? or should i do a week on a week off? on just for like 2 weeks then start on 1 muscle per day?

14. Apr 5, 2011 at 6:27 PM
    Morrison

Morrison [OP] BIG RED

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Hickory, NC
    Vehicle:
    you can save a lot of money by just getting a good protein powder like Optimum Nutrition's 100% Whey Gold Standard and just mixing two scoops with a little water or skim milk, only enough to mix it up, if you put too much water or milk it dilutes the taste and it won't taste good, but that protein has a complete amino acid profile so you don't have to worry about supplementing with extra amino acids, but I would get creatine monohydrate powder as well, and toss 5 grams or 1 tablespoon into your post-workout protein shake, creatine is great for giving muscles extra energy which leads to more endurance in the gym which will help with strength gains as well, and glutamine powder is great too, glutamine is an amino acid that helps with recovery so you don't stay sore for as long and be ready to go for the next workout sooner

I'd start with the circuit for a few weeks, maybe even a month before you start breaking it down into one muscle group a day, you want to make sure you're body is ready for that before you start it because in order to have enough strength and energy to do enough exercises and sets and reps to make the one muscle group a day workout worth it, you need to get used to doing weights first and the circuit is a great way to start out, but no need to cycle your circuit, hit it 3 days a week for a couple weeks, then gradually work your way up to one muscle group a day, and moving more towards free weights instead of all machines, and if you want a good list of exercises for when you decide to switch it up, let me know ;)

15. Apr 5, 2011 at 6:49 PM
    jodiddly33

jodiddly33 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonah
    DFW
    Vehicle:
    2010 Golf TDI
    This thread is awesome :D just a question or two from me if you don't mind: I've been working out pretty consistently 2-3 times a week for the past 4 years or so, mostly higher rep stuff. I've definitely noticed strength and size gains, but I'm not getting where I want to be as fast as I want to. I'm starting to switch to the lower rep/higher weight routine and it's kicking my ass haha. My question is this; I'd like to gain size and become more cut as fast as possible without having to workout everyday (at least not until summer), should I switch completely over to the low rep/high weight? Is it still ok if I do back/biceps and chest/triceps together? Thanks in advance!

16. Apr 6, 2011 at 1:01 PM
    especk

especk Nothin' Special

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    Redding, CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Reg Cab 4x4
    3" OME lift with 885 coils on nitrocharger 90000 shocks with 5mm trim packer on driver's side, TC UCAs, Rear OME Dakar leafs with nitrocharger shocks, All-pro U-bolt flip kit and 3* Toytec shims, extended rear brakelines, 16" Raceline Rockcrusher 887 wheels with 3.6" backspacking, BFG KM2 305/70/16 tires, Doug Thorley header, Doug Thorley catback exhaust, Volant CAI with ram air, Weathertech floor mats, Kicker 12" sub, Kenwood 500W RMS amp, Relentless Fab front and rear bumpers, 4.88 gears, custom flatbed with swing out tire carrier
    Alex, I got 2 questions for you:

1: I've been doing a lot more shrug exercises to build up my traps more, but I notice I feel it a lot in my neck too. I feel like I isolate my traps pretty well during the workout and I don't think I should be feeling it in my neck as much. Any ideas if I'm doing something wrong or is this ok?

2: After doing a hard workout with bicep curls, I notice that I feel a lot of soreness near the tendens betweeen my forearms and bicep (around my elbow area). I have noticed this more since I have been doing a lot of preacher curls (but I do them backwards on the 'bench' so I am using the verticle side, not the slanted side like most people do. I feel like doing them this way makes it more difficult and works the biceps better). I generally extend to about 90% of full extension after each rep. Any ideas of why I feel a lot of soreness/tightness in my elbow region after these workouts? Is this ok? Am I extending too far? :confused:

Thanks!

17. Apr 6, 2011 at 10:12 PM
    Morrison

Morrison [OP] BIG RED

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Hickory, NC
    Vehicle:
    well first of all, 2-3 days a week is not that much, which means you have to stack your muscle groups up each day, which means you can't pay as much attention to each muscle group, and my philosophy is, the more attention you can give a muscle, the more it responds to the training, so try to get at least 4 days a week in, so you can do something like chest, legs, back, shoulders/arms, and there are no "fast as possible" gains when you've already been training 4 years and have seen some noticeable strength and size gains, so from now on your gains will be slower, but should be steady as long as you can train a little more often, train a little harder, not necessarily heavier, but incorporate heavier weights, and keep some reps thrown in too, the best way to exhaust a muscle is with weight AND reps which is why I believe in the pyramid style of training, but do whatever works best for you, experiment with a few diff types of training methods to see what you like best and to see what gets you the most results, but the first step should always be to switch things up and try something new because by now, your body is used to what you've been doing

1. How exactly are you shrugging? Head kinda leaning down, shoulders straight up, straight down? or are you rolling your shoulders back? (which should never be done) I don't ever really feel much in my upper neck, it's always traps, but if you feel too much strain in your neck, maybe try lowering the weight and shrugging a little slower, I've never used a lot of weight for traps and they grow just fine, isolation is often better than weight when it comes to certain muscle groups

2. I get a lot of tendon pain in my forearms as well when working biceps, and that's not something you can really do anything about, you can always try to work around that pain and find exercises that don't hurt, but you're going to give up a lot of good exercises to the pain if you do that, I've always been told that it's just a little bit of tendonitis that comes and goes, so I just put up with it, I mostly feel it on straight bar curls, the easy bar curl is fine and I don't ever feel it much at all on dumbbells but like I said I don't think there's much you can really do about it, try working forearms really hard every week, I've heard of people getting rid of the forearm pain by hitting the forearms really hard and strengthening those muscles, so try some straight bar wrist curls and extensions until failure for your last few exercises on arm day and see how that effects the pain when doing biceps

18. Apr 6, 2011 at 10:26 PM
    jr114

jr114 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    Truck
    Icon Ext travel CO, Icon tubular uniball UCAs, Maxtrac Spindles, Icon RR rear w 2"aal.
    Got a supp. question for you guys. Hopefully someone may know. I'll be honest and say that I cycled gear for a long time. Most of the time without doing a proper pct and without the proper time off between cycles. Ever since then...a little over a year...whenever i cut, i can't seem to cut my obliques. Everywhere else dries out and leans up, except those damn obliques. Any supps that you guys take or can think of that will help restore and balance out normal hormone levels, and something that'll help me out? Thanks

19. Apr 6, 2011 at 10:37 PM
    Morrison

Morrison [OP] BIG RED

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Hickory, NC
    Vehicle:
    already answered that one for you in the other thread bro

20. Apr 6, 2011 at 10:46 PM
    jr114

jr114 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    Truck
    Icon Ext travel CO, Icon tubular uniball UCAs, Maxtrac Spindles, Icon RR rear w 2"aal.
    didnt see it. ill check. thanks

Products Discussed in

To Top