1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

worn out leaf packs? help me out

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by s2kvtak, Oct 2, 2009.

1. Oct 19, 2009 at 7:48 PM
    MotoXXX

MotoXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Jose
    Vehicle:
    02 Pre-Runner
    They all do it. Jump in anyones tacoma and it will be the same. There is a lot of "flex" from the two piece driveline

2. Oct 19, 2009 at 7:50 PM
    ETaco23

ETaco23 Marshall offroad Fabrication

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    13' Pyrite Mica TRD Offroad DCSB 4x4
    Color Match Grille, Bed mat, Kings with JBA UCA's, Dakars and 34" BFG KM3, Snugtop Canopy, and my "Marshall Fabrication" Rock Sliders.
    But I put in a Tom W. one piece and it still does it. But if its normal then I dont mind it. :)

3. Oct 20, 2009 at 5:38 PM
    s2kvtak

s2kvtak [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Tulsa, OK
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma 4x4 SR5
    Grillecraft grill w/ TRD badge, Bilstein 5100s on all 4 corners set at 2.5" and Toytec AAL in the rear. 285/75-17 Interco TRXUS M/T
    i plan on getting the toytec AAL with bilstein 5100 shocks soon to lift it. thats what i was thinking in the begining that it was a sympotom of the leaf springs, but someone mentioned the grease so i tryed that and it worked....for a little while.

EverTaco23: im guessing that this is the transmision mount. in my haynes manual it says that you can check to see if its fatigued by putting a long screw driver between it and the crossmember and prying up on it and if it lifts then its weakened. all it is is 2 rubber blocks connecting 2 plates. one that bolts to the trany and the other to the CM. its only about $60 so i think when i get my lift im going to jsut buy one of those as well and hope for the best. cant hurt either way

4. Oct 20, 2009 at 6:11 PM
    ETaco23

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    Color Match Grille, Bed mat, Kings with JBA UCA's, Dakars and 34" BFG KM3, Snugtop Canopy, and my "Marshall Fabrication" Rock Sliders.
    Im ganna have to check it out. I hope its not the problem and that its just a normal thing. :)
    But i'll check it out this weekend. thanks!

5. Oct 24, 2009 at 2:47 PM
    Drews Tacoma

Drews Tacoma Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    San Jose
    Vehicle:
    99 Gold TRD
    Flowmaster Exhaust, Wheelers/Alcan Leaf Springs, Bilstein 5100's, All Pro Shackles, K&M air filter, braided brakeline extension
    I bought my 99 toy taco from my brother in law 2 years ago and he had an AAL installed 2-3 years previously and when I recently replaced new shocks and tires I realized that the leafs are beyond shot and that they are actually bending up instead of arching downward! Now I want to buy new leaf springs!:rolleyes: I have a friend mechanic 20+ years that owns a Jeep fabrication shop and he highly recommends Alcan, and in fact they are they only place he can get a certain kind of quarter elliptical spring design and they happen to do it for his business. They will design any spring and according to your specific usage and demands! I also in addition to needing a strong leaf pack use my truck to haul rock and soil for gardening jobs and since All Pro which states that their springs are for support and flexibility while crawling/wheeling not carrying weight, I think I will buy a custom made set and that I will have Alcan build them!

6. Oct 30, 2009 at 11:11 PM
    MotoXXX

MotoXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Jose
    Vehicle:
    02 Pre-Runner
    Any news?

7. Oct 31, 2009 at 10:26 AM
    ETaco23

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    Sorry man! but no I haven't checked it out yet, been rainin and busy. But now that I just reminded myself, I will do it tomarrow, if its nicer. lol

8. Oct 31, 2009 at 3:42 PM
    kingston73

kingston73 Well-Known Member

Member:
    North eastern Ohio
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4.0L 4x4
    I just got my frame replaced, and the brand new leaf springs look exactly like the picture you have in the first post. Does this mean the stock Tacoma springs are just complete crap? Or is this just how they are supposed to be?

9. Nov 9, 2009 at 12:47 PM
    s2kvtak

s2kvtak [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Tulsa, OK
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma 4x4 SR5
    Grillecraft grill w/ TRD badge, Bilstein 5100s on all 4 corners set at 2.5" and Toytec AAL in the rear. 285/75-17 Interco TRXUS M/T
    i finally got my toytec lift and it fixed my thumping sond coming from the driveline. i still have the shifter moving a little, but like everyone else i figure some is normal. i still plan on ordering a mount just to be sure. it cant hurt

kingston73: as far as your reply goes if you got the frame replaced, probably due to the rust warranty, then i would bet they didnt give you new leaf springs. warranty usually only covers the absolute musts and those were probably not included in that. and as far as our leaf springs go, yes and no. they defenately are not the stoutest out there but you have to remember our trucks werent really meant to carry huge loads or tow alot so they do wear out quickly if thats something you do

10. Nov 15, 2009 at 1:03 PM
    kingston73

kingston73 Well-Known Member

Member:
    North eastern Ohio
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4.0L 4x4
    Took me a while to get back to you, but yeah, Toyota definitely gives you new rear springs when you get the frame replacement, they are 3 plus overload. I don't haul anything or tow anything, only have a fiberglass cap and thats it, so maybe 300 lbs total on the rear, and the springs look exactly like in the OP's first pictures.

Products Discussed in

To Top