1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Worth the wait for the 2016's?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by The Welsh Rarebit, Jul 29, 2015.

1. Jul 29, 2015 at 4:31 AM
    The Welsh Rarebit

The Welsh Rarebit [OP] New Member

Member:
    DEFCON 1!, ok, 2... ok, these are 1st world problems, but still...

I test drove a 2015 V6 4x4 manual this week and I really enjoyed it. That dealership is giving me a little extra on my trade-in but wouldn't take anything off of MSRP. So I started looking at other inventory and emailing other dealerships and am getting some offers that are like $2,000 off MSRP for the exact configuration I want.

As of now (end of July), all dealerships I spoke to said they have no idea when the 2016's will be in, which in my mind means at least 2-3 months. And once they do come start coming in, I think initially they will be very difficult to get and I'd probably have to settle for not exactly what I want (especially the manual tranny).

So I guess I'm just wondering what everyone thinks of this situation. Do I really want to wait potentially until the holidays or later to get a truck that might not even be the configuration that I want? Or should I just get exactly what I want in a 2015 and be happy with it? The thing is -- I need to do something vehicle-wise by the end of August even if that means buying an AWD car or something because I can't keep driving what I have now.

What does everyone think? I'm not an expert on Tacomas so you guys will know much better than me if the new features in the 2016 are worth waiting for. I just know that I liked the feel of the powertrain with the manual but I'm a little worried about the MPG (not even breaking 20?) and the interior seemed a little "Tonka-truck" to me. 2016 interior is supposed to be much better, right? And better gas mileage?

Please help me through this decision! TIA.

2. Jul 29, 2015 at 4:33 AM
    Large

Large Red

Member:
    If they won't come off MSRP and are charging you MSRP I would walk away, there are a lot better deals (you could even get a really nice used on here on the forums) out there.

3. Jul 29, 2015 at 4:54 AM
    BORNWILDGUY

BORNWILDGUY Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2020 TACOMA TRD SPORT DCLB LIFTED W KDMAX-PRO XT TUNE
    FULLY LOADED WITH THE TECH PACKAGE, LEATHER, JBL, LED HEADLIGHTS, MOONROOF, EXTANG FULL TILT COVER, NFAB SIDE STEPS, OEM ROOF RACK, TRD PRO TAILS, WHITE RAPTOR LIGHTS, 15% TINT ALL THE WAY AROUND, BILSTEIN 6112'S W 650# SPRINGS AND 1/4 SPACER, ICON LEAF SPRINGS W 5125 REAR SHOCKS, 18 x 9 -12 Weld Racing Ledge 6 wheels w 275/65r18 Toyo AT III tires
    They are probably not coming off mrsp because of his trade. Its all a numbers game so they can take it off the vehicle you are buying or give you more for your trade.

4. Jul 29, 2015 at 5:10 AM
    TacomaMike37

TacomaMike37 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    13' DCLB MGM
    Agree, all a numbers game for sure.

To the OP. Try other dealers and dont drop that you have a trade in till the last minute, that way you will be able to get the best deal off the Tacoma. Also, you shouldnt have to pay msrp, zero chance I would or any other members on the forum. You CAN get close to invoice, especially with 2016's right around the corner.

I like the 2016, think its going to be a runaway success, but I'm happy with my 2013. The thing is, unless you really love the 2016 then get the 15. But if you think you might like the 2016 then I would wait it out and see when the 2016 releases. If you can wait 6 months which it seems you cant, then I would get a 15. Email a bunch of dealers asking what specific vehicle you want and see what they come back with.

5. Jul 29, 2015 at 5:32 AM
    The Welsh Rarebit

Member:
    Thanks.

I couldn't find invoice price for my exact config but it seems to be roughly 5% off the sticker. Is that a good rule of thumb?

What's the best tactic to get the price I want? Should start out by I asking for their best price or should I flat out tell them what I'm willing to pay and say "take it or leave it"?

6. Jul 29, 2015 at 5:40 AM
    TacomaMike37

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    13' DCLB MGM
    5% seems really low, I wouldn't use that as a rule of thumb. There are sites out there that will give you the invoice site for a specific auto. Checkout truecar.com, and look through the What did you pay for your truck 2015 thread on this site. That should help you out.

Create a blanket email. Say something like this. Interested in purchasing a 2015 Tacoma ( OR, TRD, whatever it is) in whatever color in the next week. Please let me know what price you are willing to offer the truck at including all fees etc. I want to act fast so your cooperation is appreciated.

Just a heads up, the manual is going to make things a bit more difficult as many dealers dont stock them.

7. Jul 29, 2015 at 5:51 AM
    Pigpen

Pigpen My truck is never clean

Member:
    Northwest Montana
    Vehicle:
    2012 AC Manual 4.0 4x4 Base Model
    Access cab toolbox/ dog bed with seats and headrests deleted, waterproof TRD seat covers, yellow wire mod, diff breather relocated to tail light, engine block heater, Leer topper with Yakima tracks and rack, Yakima rack on cab, Ride Rite with Daystar cradles, CBI hidden front hitch, wired for winch front and rear Warn quick connect, Warn x8000i on external carrier, sway bar delete, trailer plug relocated to bumper, Pelfreybilt IFS and Mid skids, ECGS front diff bushing, ARB CKMA12 compressor, 255/85/16 Backcountrry MT 3 load E tires on stock steel rims, Up2NoGood heated mirror kit, Husky X-act Contour front floor liners, Northstar AGM 24F battery, Pelfreybilt bolt on sliders with kickout and top plates, TRD Pro headlights, Depo smoked tail lights, Energy suspension body mount bushing kit, OME Dakar leaf packs with AAL, Billstein B110 rear shocks, OME 90021 front shocks with 885 coils, SPC LR UCAs, Up2NoGood 2wd low range mod, 4 Wheel Campers Grandby slide in camper
    They want to sell you the truck. Walk in with a price and be prepared for them to not want to match it - at first. If your price is reasonable (5% should be easy for them), then they'll end up matching it. It's their job to get as much money out of you as possible. If they're firm on MSRP because they know you have a trade, then ask for more on the trade. Do your research - not just asking on here. KBB is a good starting point. Know what your trade is worth for trade and private sale. Put your trade in vehicle on CL, you might sell it for more and come out ahead. Let the dealer know you're trying to sell it. Keep dealing with the same sales person (if they seem good) and walk out the door without making a deal several times. Work with more than one dealer, if there are multiple in your area. This can motivate them.

In the end, don't settle for a price you aren't happy with. Get the truck you want for the deal you want. Never settle on a vehicle purchase that you are not happy with. It's too much money and you'll be stuck with it for a long time.

Once you have your truck (love my 6 speed!), go out and :mudding:

8. Jul 29, 2015 at 10:26 AM
    The Welsh Rarebit

Member:
    I might still be confused, bear with me here...

TrueCar.com says that the Avg Price Paid is $30,162 and the Invoice is $29,489. It also says, "Your TrueCarEstimate is 4.33% below MSRP. This is a great price." Does that sound right to you?

Right now the deal I have going is for about $1,200 off ($800 extra for trade-in and $400 off MSRP). So technically I'm close to the Invoice price -- or am I missing something? Is this a good deal or am I a sucker?

Also, do you have a manual rated 15/19? What do you actually get? I'm hoping if I drive it nice n easy most of the time (to work, etc) I can beat 19. Of course on weekends I plan to tear s$$$ up!

9. Jul 29, 2015 at 10:37 AM
    TacomaMike37

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    13' DCLB MGM
    What about the thread I threw out there, anything in there, anyone buy a similiar vehicle and at what price ? That may help. You dont sound like a sucker. What is the msrp of the vehicle you are looking at? Sounds to me like maybe they bumped up the trade in. Sounds like 6 of one and half dozen of another. Wonder if you went to another dealer if they could get you closer to invoice then you haggle on the trade in.

MPG. I have a hard time getting the lower # ! Some guys on here can pull the mid and some can get the high end, but they are driving super slow and 60 mph on the highway. If you need 19+mpg or higher, the Tacoma might not be for you.

10. Jul 29, 2015 at 10:38 AM
    JimboAnz

JimboAnz #OldNorm

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimbo
    Charlotte (Cornelius) NC
    Vehicle:
    2020 Ford F'in Ranger
    End of month IS the best time to muscle a good deal.

11. Jul 29, 2015 at 4:07 PM
    The Welsh Rarebit

Member:
    Unfortunately, that deal I had going fell through BIG time. I was supposedly approved for 1.49% but then when it came time to sign, they tried to stick me with 5.5%. And that had nothing to do with my credit, it wasn't a mistake... They were playing games. So I GTFO-ed and now I'm back to square one.

I might be waiting for the 2016's but not by choice lol.

JimboAnz[QUOTED] likes this.
  12. Jul 29, 2015 at 4:49 PM
    nd4spdbh

nd4spdbh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB TRD OR v6 Auto
    Hell yeah id wait for the 2016's At least let the official HP/torque and mpg figures come out and go from there.

13. Jul 29, 2015 at 5:08 PM
    NMTrailRider

NMTrailRider Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Mexico
    lots of good advice here. don't forget the option of going into a dealer and ordering a '16 configured exactly the way you want it. you don't have to buy off the lot. also... whatever option you choose- they're all good ones assuming you get a decent price. the 15 is a great truck and the 16 will be too. personally, I like the idea of a 15 being tried and tested. I'd take that over a few mpg's.

14. Jul 29, 2015 at 5:40 PM
    djd1

djd1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Vehicle:
    15 DCLB 4x4
    OP, if that financing foul up is the only catch, and you otherwise feel like this 2015 is the truck you want and is a good deal as far as the actual price/ trade in goes, then simply go to your local bank/ credit union and get a loan. They may not do 1.49%, but I would bet they'd be under 3-4%. Again, it is dependent on your personal situation, income, down payment, and debt capacity, so I may be off base. It should be a quick conversation at the bank to find out. Credit unions here are at 1.69% for 5 years. Only requirement is auto-draft from your bank if you don't have a checking acct there.

If you are ok with the bank's terms, call or go back to the dealer, skip the sales guy, and go straight to the sales mgr. Tell him they lost the financing opportunity, and this is the last chance. You'll buy today at the price & trade you had. They get the trade, and you are bringing the difference. Hell, subtract $200 to make your point about the game-playing. Granted, this is tougher if you don't have much to put down, owe a lot on the trade, or have other circumstances - stuff you want thrown in, whatever. if you can make it simple, I bet they close the deal right then and there.

I wouldn't reward the dealer with your business for playing games, so only do this IF this is the truck you want AND at the price you want. That's the way I read your post, but if that's not the case, forget it. I know some folks have lots of dealer options and others not so many. I'm fortunate to have both a good honest local dealer with a good service dept and several other Toyota dealers reasonably close by. Good luck!

Products Discussed in

To Top