1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Worthwhile Mountain bike Setup?

Discussion in 'Sports, Hobbies & Interests' started by C17Guy, Oct 27, 2010.

1. Oct 27, 2010 at 4:15 AM
    C17Guy

C17Guy [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    Charleston, SC/ Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 Access Cab 5 Lugger
    Readylift Kit, 245/75/16, HID's, Debadged, Kenwood DNX9960 Double Din Navigation, Image Dynamics Door Components, Pioneer Amp, Dynomax Super Turbo Muffler, Grillcraft Uppers and Lowers
    Hey guys,

Looking to buy a bike and came across this. How's this for a setup? And what kind of price would you think it would get? Thanks!

2002 Gary Fisher Sugar 1
    Size - Large
    Brand new aluminum Rear triangle and bushings.
    Cane Creek Cloud 9 shock
    Rear disc brake adapter
    Carbon seatpost
    Shimano XT disc only wheels
    Shimano XT 8-spd brake lever/shifter combo
    Shimano Deore V-Brakes
    Shimano LX crankset - square taper + bottom bracket
    SRAM 3.0 front derailluer
    Easton EA70 130mm stem 25.4 clamp
    Truvativ XC riser bars 25.4 clamp
    SHimano LX rear derailluer

The only thing I would need to pick up are a decent set of disc brakes, any recommendations? Thanks!

~Dennis

[​IMG]

2. Nov 3, 2010 at 3:12 AM
    satmanski

satmanski 12yrs 170k

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Santa Fe, NM
    Vehicle:
    2011 4dr TRD
    Avid Offroad Light Bar, Rigid 10" E2 and SRQ backup lights, Weathertech Floor mats, GrillCraft Insert, tinted windows, DebadgeD, Yakima Bike carrier inserts, afe pro dry air filter, Seat belt chime defeat
    how much are they asking for it? I wouldnt spend more than 500 on it. You can get a brand new full suspension for 1500 that will kill it. The parts on that are pretty good (xt) if they are in good shape. Make sure the fork and shock are working and adjustable. Disc brakes...shimano or avid.

3. Nov 3, 2010 at 3:44 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    How the fuck are those disc only wheels when it has V-brakes on it? You can has rim brake hoops laced to disc hubs and use either type of brakes but a disc specific hoop does not allow for use of vbrakes, it has no machined braking surface. If wheelset is vbrake capable it cannot also be "disc only wheels". I don't know if I'd pay 250 for that bike even if everything is in good shape. It says rear triangle replaced which = crash or bunch of wear. If it's from wear then I'd be guessing the rest of the parts have similar wear. It looks like single chainring up front and see no front derailleur. What fork is it? Looks like maybe Manitou Mars or RockShock Indy...doubt it's in pristine working order. So on and so forth.......I would buy a new full suspension bike before spending the coin on this. Around 200 would be a deal IF the fork isn't toast and whatever's there is in good working order IMO.

4. Nov 3, 2010 at 4:18 AM
    FASTK

FASTK Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gregg
    Columbus
    Vehicle:
    2010 4dr 4x4 long bed
    Know why the rear triangle and pivots are new? Because they break... often. I ride with many people who have broken Sugar, Cake and HiFi Gary Fisher bikes. Ask the seller how many times he has had to warranty that rear triangle.

The life time warranty follows the original buyer, not you. I would pay $250 and not one cent more and consider it a interim bike until you can find something else.

5. Nov 3, 2010 at 4:47 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    There you have it.......150 tops.

Products Discussed in

To Top