1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Would i be able to?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by allisonguru, Jul 15, 2010.

1. Jul 15, 2010 at 4:27 PM
    allisonguru

allisonguru [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    California for now, Indiana here we come!!
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD Prerunner 4x2
    Would i be able to pull a fullsize u-haul flat car trailer with a 2008 BMW 335I on it cross country with my 2007 Tacoma V6 TRD? Anyone tried this and how did it work out?

2. Jul 15, 2010 at 4:37 PM
    DueNorth

DueNorth Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2014 BSP TRD Sport DCSB 6sp
    We need to know how much that car and trailer weigh before we can tell you if it'll work or not. I haven't towed that setup myself, but i'm sure ppl here have that'll chime in.

3. Jul 15, 2010 at 4:41 PM
    cummins6speed

cummins6speed Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '05 4Runner Limited Edition
    Custom extended travel 2.5" King RR coilovers, 1.25" Camburg uniball uppers, homebuilt tube bumper
    That trailer is about 2k lbs

4. Jul 15, 2010 at 4:45 PM
    bmgreene

bmgreene Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    L.A. Westside
    Vehicle:
    2010 PreRunner V6 SR5/OR
    Alcan Leaf Packs, OME884 Coils, 5100 shocks, U.S. Offroad Winch Mount w/Winch, Trail Gear Rear H/C Bumper, Prinsu Cabrack, DIY custom in-bed storage/sleeping deck, Sway bar delete, hidden "snorkel" intake mod, In-dash CB, Bestop Supertop, Undercover Swingbox, hood lifters, assorted lights and front spotting camera
    according to u-haul's web site the trailer weighs 2210 lb, so as long as the car (and everything in it) weighs under 4290 you should be OK to tow it on the class IV hitch.

When you say "cross-country", where's the start/end points? Some routes would be better than others depending on where you're going, especially if you're close to the max on the towing weight and plan on loading up the bed as well.

5. Jul 15, 2010 at 5:08 PM
    allisonguru

allisonguru [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    California for now, Indiana here we come!!
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD Prerunner 4x2
    Start is Southern California, end is Southern Indiana. Bed will be empty, maybe some clothes and small stuff in Car. I never had a owners manual that came with my truck, so not sure about tow capacities.

6. Jul 15, 2010 at 5:15 PM
    HBMurphy

HBMurphy Ban Pending

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    So California Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Off Road Delete Model
    None
    I say get someone to drive the truck - I would drive the twin turbo beast - Had one as a loaner. My brother's comment was, "That's not a loaner. That's a smart sales guy!" They are sooooo fun - almost eliminates the need for an M! :) :D

7. Jul 15, 2010 at 5:28 PM
    bmgreene

bmgreene Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    L.A. Westside
    Vehicle:
    2010 PreRunner V6 SR5/OR
    Alcan Leaf Packs, OME884 Coils, 5100 shocks, U.S. Offroad Winch Mount w/Winch, Trail Gear Rear H/C Bumper, Prinsu Cabrack, DIY custom in-bed storage/sleeping deck, Sway bar delete, hidden "snorkel" intake mod, In-dash CB, Bestop Supertop, Undercover Swingbox, hood lifters, assorted lights and front spotting camera
    Coming out of So-Cal, I'd definitely reccomend taking I-10 across to I-25 rather than going up 15 to 70. Less severe portion of the Rockies to get across that way so you're not pulling uphill quite as much.

If possible, crossing the desert at night would also keep the engine cooler, although the tow package probably has enough cooling to make that more optional. Might want to check the VIN with a dealer to see if you've got the towing package (came with virtually all the TRD 2010s I saw for sale in L.A., but I'm not sure if that's the case with earlier model years).

If you've got a factory hitch reciever (square socket under the bumper) as opposed to just the trailer ball mount on the bumper, you've probably got the Tow Pkg (which means a rated capacity of 6500 lb trailer weight). If not, you'll need to get a hitch reciever installed (I'd reccomend a tranny cooler as well if you've got an AT) since the capacity for the bumper-mount is only 3500 lb.

8. Jul 15, 2010 at 8:37 PM
    CtTaco

CtTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 Doublecab Sport Longbed Supercharged
    3" lift, Tundra wheels with BFG ATKO's, Viper Remote starter TRD Supercharger
    sure you can tow that much, just dont tell uhaul thats what you intend to tow or they wont give you a trailer...I've been down this road before. tell them you're towing a 92 civic or something rediculously light so they wont bitch about your total towed weight being over 5k regardless of the trucks 6500lb capacity...

9. Jul 15, 2010 at 8:45 PM
    1TUFFTRD

1TUFFTRD WTF

Member:
    out and about building powerlines
    Vehicle:
    06 AC with a skewp
    06 With a Skewp.
    335i. Very nice! My girl friend got the 330i I was pushing her towards the 335 oh well:D still a fun car to drive through the canyons!

10. Jul 15, 2010 at 9:09 PM
    BigRedZag

BigRedZag Member

Member:
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Sport LB
    Great minds think alike! I towed my SS Camaro vert from Norman, OK to Spokane, WA when I finished grad school. UHaul told me it was too much so I put in a Civic... Truck did just fine!

11. Jul 15, 2010 at 9:27 PM
    HBMurphy

HBMurphy Ban Pending

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    So California Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Off Road Delete Model
    None
    335 ~3,800 pounds - I have rented a trailer to tow a 3 series with no questions - but who the hell knows the guy could have just thought I was hot! ;) :eek:

12. Aug 2, 2010 at 8:43 AM
    Blue07Taco

Blue07Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Iowa
    Vehicle:
    Its blue
    TRD intake/ exhaust
    My wife wants to get a trailor to tow our cobra (3700lbs) to the track. I told her we should get an aluminum trailor. That should save on 500-800lbs in tow weight.

Products Discussed in

To Top