1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Would there be interest in a cable lock for the front axle?

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by dispatch55126, Mar 28, 2014.

?

Would you buy a Posi-Lok to replace your vacuum actuator

Poll closed Jun 26, 2014.
  1. Yes

5 vote(s)
    71.4%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Maybe, but I'd need to see the finished product and price first

2 vote(s)
    28.6%
  4. Don't care. Just show me the results

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Mar 28, 2014 at 6:25 AM
    dispatch55126

dispatch55126 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    MN
    Vehicle:
    2004 Xtracab SR5
    Complete OME kit w/ 881's and dakars. All-Pro Sliders, CB, HAM Radio and various other minor stuff.
    I'm currently starting a conversation with a company called 4x4 Posi-Lok to try and get a cable lock to the market and replace the vacuum actuator for the ADD system. Truthfully, by conversation I mean I asked a question, their response was there is nothing on the market but they'd forward it to R&D and my response was that I'd look to see if there was interest.

I know this will have little interest with the mall-crawlers but for those who go off-road, I see several benefits. Maybe I'm showing my age, but I like the tactile feel "knowing" that everything is engaged. I'm new to the Tacoma but I've had vacuum actuators fail on me in other trucks. Flip a switch or pull a level and the dash says I'm in 4WD but I find out the hard way that I'm not. The last time this happened to me, I was stuck in a snow drift in the middle of a frozen lake with temps dropping to -30's.

*Disclaimer* I am not employed by the company but I do think that there is a market for something like this. Check out the company and hit the poll. I'm a little hesitant in telling everyone to start an email campaign only because I'd hate to start spamming them. However, if you think you have a story that may sway them to putting something on the market, then go for it.

Thanks

2. Mar 28, 2014 at 9:26 AM
    vssman

vssman Rocket Engineer

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Naugatuck, CT
    Vehicle:
    2013 SR5 double cab
    Absolutely! I had one on my former Cummins. It worked great and allowed me to run in 2lo easily as well as making sure the front axle was fully engaged.

3. Mar 28, 2014 at 10:19 AM
    dispatch55126

dispatch55126 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    MN
    Vehicle:
    2004 Xtracab SR5
    Complete OME kit w/ 881's and dakars. All-Pro Sliders, CB, HAM Radio and various other minor stuff.
    This is what I'm thinking. I definitely see a market for it. Hoping to drum up support on this thread to show them they need to develop it.

4. Mar 31, 2014 at 9:44 AM
    vssman

vssman Rocket Engineer

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Naugatuck, CT
    Vehicle:
    2013 SR5 double cab
    I'm a little surprised there isn't more interest in this. I'm guessing not too many people know what this is.

Posi-Lok is a heavy duty cable (think PTO cable) that runs from a knob in the cab down to the front axle to engage it instead of relying on vacuum or electric solenoids. Pull the knob and the front end is absolutely engaged. Push it in and you've unlocked it. They're a popular upgrade on Jeeps and Dodge's POS front vacuum (CAD) central axle disconnect system.

If these guys could also come up with a system to eliminate the electric motor for the transfer case, then that would be pretty sweet.

Products Discussed in

To Top