1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Would you be a stay at home Dad?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by DEEVON911, Dec 29, 2011.

1. Dec 29, 2011 at 12:59 PM
    MountainEarth

MountainEarth Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OR Access
    Leer 100XR Shell, BedRug mat - comfy sleeping, GT Covers microfiber seat covers, BFG All Terrains 265/70r16, Dashmat, Antennax 13" shorty antenna, Weathertech liners, Ultra Gauge, Avid Light Bar, PIAA 520 ATPs, one old dog
    Being a stay at home Dad is great. But there are a few things to watch out for. For one ... keep the brain active. Don't let your hobbies, interests and personal education atrophy. Because it's very easy to quickly feel sidelined and grow disconnected and intellectually sedentary. And if you can, find others in your community who do the same so you can maintain some semblance of contact with peers. Designate a "guy night" too where you can get out of the house with your buddies. Very important to do.

2. Dec 29, 2011 at 3:42 PM
    Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    Lol you're only 24... I'm pretty sure I thought I still wanted to be either a paleontologist or a space man until my wife got pregnant :D

3. Dec 29, 2011 at 3:52 PM
    MQQSE

MQQSE Bannable Galloot

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob III
    Palmer, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    "Stitch" Still Stock Concept Truck
    Shtuff
    LMAO :rofl::rofl::rofl: That's just funny! ;)

4. Dec 30, 2011 at 4:23 AM
    DEEVON911

DEEVON911 [OP] Semi-Pro

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Bethel Park, PA. Burb of da Burgh.
    Vehicle:
    2010 MGM Mostly Stock Off-Road 4x4
    TRD Cat-back Exhaust. Semi-Debadged. Trimmed down stock Antenna. Weathertech vent visors. TRD FJ Cruiser Center Cap Wheel Mod. 265/75/16 Firestone Destination A/T,s . Inverter tapped into for outlet in cab. Tacomaworld sticker which adds 5 hp.
    Good advice, thanks!

:laugh:

5. Dec 30, 2011 at 4:39 AM
    TACOMA TRD

TACOMA TRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    PA
    Vehicle:
    2011 MGM SPORT DC 4x4
    Alpine HU, Apline 6.5 3 way Speakers, Access Cover.
    I didnt read through the last 6 pages, so sorry if re-post. Can you go to a different shift? I work grave shift and my wife works dayshift, always somebody home to watch the kids. Every now and the if we have a overlap her mom can watch.

6. Dec 30, 2011 at 4:46 AM
    DEEVON911

DEEVON911 [OP] Semi-Pro

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Vehicle:
    TRD Cat-back Exhaust. Semi-Debadged. Trimmed down stock Antenna. Weathertech vent visors. TRD FJ Cruiser Center Cap Wheel Mod. 265/75/16 Firestone Destination A/T,s . Inverter tapped into for outlet in cab. Tacomaworld sticker which adds 5 hp.
    I hear what your saying, but I don't know if I would mind it if I didn't have to got to work, if she had to get up then she would be dead for work too. I don't know, still thinking..
    I thought about this too, but I did steady night turn for about 6 years, and towards the end of it, I was having a hard time getting any sleep during the day and was falling asleep at work, which to me was a no no! So I don't think I could go back to that. Plus my wife likes me at home at night, she would rather me not work at all. Also There is no way I could come home and stay awake. That also for me would not be worth it, if I came home and stayed awake, I would say hi to my wife and sleep and say by when leaving. I'd rather take the little bit of money loss then hardly ever see my wife.

7. Dec 30, 2011 at 4:56 AM
    DEEVON911

DEEVON911 [OP] Semi-Pro

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Vehicle:
    Hell, I'm used to dealing with adults that do this. LOL

AT work that is.

8. Dec 30, 2011 at 5:06 AM
    HomerTaco

HomerTaco also HomerTaco Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco ...................................................................................................................................................... Core-Hurst short throw shifter & T-handle / Carbon Fiber Interior / custom console light / De-badged / leather interior / Heated Front seats / Red Line Hood Struts / Painted speaker grills /one-off TRD Satoshi Grill with 12-15 front-end swap/ Pioneer AVIC-X920BT HU / Scangauge II / Black LED Tails / Dash Mount for iPad mini / Safari Snorkel / Auto-pilot mode / Leer 100XQ Cap / 4x Innovations sliders / Rear Diff Breather Mod / front windows tinted to 35% / Brute Force Fab Hybrid Front Bumper / BAMF Rear Diff Skid / Budbuilt Skids / CBI Trail Master 2.0 rear hybrid bumper / Fox rr coils/ TC UCA's/ TC spindle gussets/ TC Cam Tab gussets / Dakar leafs / Defined Engineering shackles / All pro U bolt flip / Timbren Rear Bumpstops / BAMF LCA skids / Exhaust re-route / Fog Light anytime Mod / LowRange Off Road extended rear brake lines / ATO Shackle Flip / sectioned Bushwhacker flares / re-geared to 4.56 / ARB Front & Rear Locking Diff / ARB CKMA12 compressor / PrInSu full rack system / 1" body lift / Inchworm 4.7 crawlbox / twin stick FJ t-case / Davez off-road triple-stick kit/
    To answer the title question:
    I personally could not do it. I love both my kids. I do not have the patience their mother does. That's why I work and she's the stay-at-home mommy.
    It is a sacrifice to only have a single income but it is well worth it to have my wife raise them.
    Good luck with your decision, I'm sure you'll make a good one.:D

9. Dec 30, 2011 at 5:07 AM
    MQQSE

MQQSE Bannable Galloot

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob III
    Palmer, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    Shtuff
    It's because we're getting old ... just couldn't resist. :p;)

We come into the world that way ... level out for a while ... then start working our way back there. :D

Just joking around ... slow night at work. :cool:

10. Dec 30, 2011 at 5:08 AM
    DEEVON911

DEEVON911 [OP] Semi-Pro

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Vehicle:
    Thanks Homer, want to toss me a free Satoshi? If I'm out of work I may never get one! LOL :D

11. Dec 30, 2011 at 5:12 AM
    DEEVON911

DEEVON911 [OP] Semi-Pro

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Vehicle:
    LOL sad to say its not just the older ones, I wonder how people make it through life sometimes.

12. Dec 30, 2011 at 5:13 AM
    PSJ

PSJ Prerunners Work

Member:
    Sebastian Inlet
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab Prerunner
    Rear Leaf spring TSB, Bilstein 5100's all around w/ front set at 1.75", 265/75R/16 Mickey Thompson Baja STZ's, Trailer hitch w/custom wiring, AFE drop in dry filter, Rear Diff breather mod, Debadged truck, customized stock TRD wheel center caps, added factory fog lights, bed mat, door sills, tinted windows
    Family first- But it sounds likes your giving up on yourself? Who says you can't go out and find another higher paying job or field to work in and make more money?

13. Dec 30, 2011 at 5:16 AM
    GMIKE

GMIKE aint that some $h!t

Member:
    First Name:
    MIKE
    Carlsbad,CA
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner trd double cab sr5
    8000k 5% tinted windows debadged
    i say do it and take some investment in yourself as well. maybe take some online classes so that you can atleast benefit from this that way when the kids get older you have to something to work with..and also lets just say the marriage doesnt work out then you will have something to start fresh with since you pretty much be dependent on your wifes income.. never depend on somebody other than yourself cause incase it doesnt work put, then sh!t will hit the fan.

14. Dec 30, 2011 at 5:19 AM
    DEEVON911

DEEVON911 [OP] Semi-Pro

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Vehicle:
    I can understand why your saying that, but here are the facts. For 1 thing, I'm not saying I'll never work again. 2, I have been doing this job since I was 19 years old. I really have no other experience other than this, I had one other job before this. Tack onto that very little after Highschool education. This job might look good on an application, but lack of everything else in this job market is what I think would really hurt me.

I'm not giving up on myself by any means, I have the knowledge to be able to do lots of things, but I'm leaning towards taking care of my child for a few years, then getting back out there.

15. Dec 30, 2011 at 5:23 AM
    DEEVON911

DEEVON911 [OP] Semi-Pro

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Vehicle:
    Ha Ha, this is my 2nd marriage, this one IS till death do us part!:p

16. Dec 30, 2011 at 5:52 AM
    MQQSE

MQQSE Bannable Galloot

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob III
    Palmer, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    Shtuff
    Just a thought and my opinion, but maybe planning to fail is the reason so many marriages do fail these days... :rolleyes: Food for thought....

That's the right mindset! FTW :D

17. Dec 30, 2011 at 5:55 AM
    crf69

crf69 scraping my emblems off my plasti-dip

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD OR BSP cab'n 1/2
    ummm yeah
    my buddy is.......and his wife makes like 150k a year or something.

im beyond jelly.

18. Dec 30, 2011 at 6:00 AM
    DEEVON911

DEEVON911 [OP] Semi-Pro

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Vehicle:
    Does he like it?

19. Dec 30, 2011 at 6:11 AM
    Dark_Taco

Dark_Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD Pro
    Stock
    Work. Work part-time at your current job if possible. Don't just cut off all ties and have no back-up.

20. Dec 30, 2011 at 6:18 AM
    DEEVON911

DEEVON911 [OP] Semi-Pro

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Vehicle:
    This is also being thought about too, but in the long run for me it would probably be better to cut my ties from this job.

Products Discussed in

To Top