1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Would you be interested in a better equipped Tacoma?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by saf023, Dec 12, 2009.

?

Would you be interested in a better equipped Tacoma?

Poll closed Jan 11, 2010.
  1. Yes, I want a Luxury Options on my next Tacoma.

20.8%
  2. No, I'm not interested in anything that would increase the cost.

5.0%
  3. Yes, but I only want to pay for the options that interest me.

50.3%
  4. No, I like the truck just the way it is.

9.0%
  5. Less electronics, and Vynil floor/seats/manual T-case, etc,

14.9%
  1. Dec 28, 2009 at 10:55 AM
    putawaywet

putawaywet Yaris Offroader

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    '17 DC TRD Off Road MT
    +1

2. Dec 28, 2009 at 5:15 PM
    CO-DayTripper

CO-DayTripper Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alan
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    '08 V6 PreRunner SR5
    ARE top, D-Ring install, tailgate anti-thief mod, iPod adapter, rear power bank
    Good call on the TPMS readout. The technology is there, why not use it? I would like to see a universal display, featuring many of the ideas already suggested here, including that one. Currently, I have to look over to see my radio display, then down to see the time display. That makes no sense.

Add an iPod and/or AUX connector - that would've saved me $130.00. My wife's Civic Hybrid has both of these features.

Finally, heated mirrors, a bed light, hood light (and a hood that stays open), and a key that also has the remote built-in and I'd have the perfect truck ;)

3. Dec 28, 2009 at 5:40 PM
    MGRS

MGRS Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '20 Tundra OR
    Unfortunately that much seems to be the case. It is almost impossible to find a non SR5 4WD (other than a reg cab) on the lots. I agree, those who want a 4WD with hand cranked windows are in the minority. It does not sell, so Toyota dealers does not stock it.

In a perfect world, I too would prefer to be able to add options 'a la carte' rather than in trim packages.

To continue beating the horse, the entire 05+ generation came at the expense of the dead simple, cheap, and tough version. Then again, the same could be said of the transition from pre 95.5 Pickup to the Tacoma. Then again, maybe it happened when the Toyota US Pickup and international Hilux stopped having anything in common starting in the 90s. The more things change, the more they stay the same. They are still better than the competition.

4. Dec 29, 2009 at 2:16 AM
    Delmarva

Delmarva Mayor of TW

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 4runner Limited Looking for a Taco
    It's the wife's T4R so it's stock
    But wait... Toyota does offer "countless options" on many of their models of vehicles. Have you seen a 60k new land cruiser or a 40k plus 4runner? Checked out a Venza, Avalon, Camry, Prius, or Tundra lately? I have. Toyota DOES offer these options, just not on the Tacoma.

So all in all, I think you missed the point. :)

5. Dec 29, 2009 at 10:29 AM
    sonjay

sonjay Well-Known Member

Member:
    Yeah I guess. I still think the Tacoma should be a truck first though. And it shouldn't cost an arm and a leg. I would like to see Toyota go back to it "roots" and start building proper 4WD Toyota trucks. The new 4Runner looks interesting still very chubby though!

6. Jan 1, 2010 at 10:55 AM
    MattN03

MattN03 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Bluegrass State
    Vehicle:
    SOLD: 07 DC 4x4 TRD Off-Road
    20% window tint, beep mod, hardwired V1, TSB springs, AVS Bugshield-21803, USA Spec PA15, OEM Tacoma scuff plates, Weathertech mats, Truxedo LoPro, TRD skid, GY Duratrac's 265/75/16 C Range, locker mod (switch method)
    The TRD Off-Road package ought to come with some decent A/T's at least-maybe BFG AT's? The Rugged Trials are a poor excuse for a tire on a O/R package IMO...

7. Jan 1, 2010 at 11:08 AM
    kilgoja

kilgoja Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2009 regular cab 4x4 2.7L (silver)
    :mudding:
    i like it how it is...i got the base model 4x4...don't need crusie control, power windows, and such on a truck...don't drive it across the country on long trips...lol....i like the knob to change to 4wd as long as it doesn't break...better than getting out and locking the hubs and such like i had to do on my old truck...electrics are fine as long as they don't mess up...things like changing to 4wd and trac and vsc and all that...but all that isn't really necessary....it's just technology...eventually trucks will be all electric almost...lol

8. Oct 8, 2010 at 1:33 PM
    SilverTacoZack

SilverTacoZack Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Elgin, SC
    Vehicle:
    2011 FJ trail teams
  9. Oct 8, 2010 at 1:54 PM
    Accel Junky

Accel Junky Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Kennesaw, GA
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 6spd DC
    I'd really like the dealers to order trucks without all of the pricey packages. I don't want vinyl floors necessarily, but I could live without the seemingly standard SR5 package if it meant saving $2000. I discovered that I could build the truck without it on their website but it was impossible to get. None of the 4x4's V6s existed as a base truck because no dealers order base trucks. Seems misleading to advertise a "starting at" price when you can't get it at that price if you wanted to.

10. Oct 8, 2010 at 2:02 PM
    bjmoose

bjmoose Bullwinkle J. Moose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    OME suspension, ARB Air Lockers, CBI/Relentless/Pelfrey armor, HAM radio
    Holy Post Bump, Batman!

But, since it's been dragged up, I just bought a 4x4, std cab, 5 sp, hand crank windows 2011 Taco. Only option offered or received is now the $130 sliding back window, which was on mine on the dealer lot. I didn't think I'd use it, but I find I like that a lot - let's the air flow through the cab better and quieter when the windows are open.

anyhow, color me "keep it simple" I'da preferred a manual shift transfer case, but in the interest of keeping mfg costs low, Toyota wants to minimize the number of configurations. So I recognize that's just not gonna happen.

11. Oct 8, 2010 at 2:30 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat

Some dealers offer custom leather as an installed option at that dealership only.

Toyota does not ship any US Tacomas from factory with leather upholstery.

12. Oct 8, 2010 at 2:46 PM
    Fortech

Fortech Well-Known Member

Member:
    CANADA
    Vehicle:
    2005 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR
    Bilstein 5100's, rear TSB, Firestone bags
    Heated leather is an available option here in Canada. Where its installed is anyone's guess, but it isn't done at the dealer level.

13. Oct 8, 2010 at 3:46 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    What? You mean countries other than the US exist?

Edited to correct.

14. Jan 28, 2011 at 3:02 PM
    wildtrt

wildtrt Active Member

Member:
    TXPRO
    They could make some effort. I don't need all that stuff, doesn't mean I wouldn't take it. I'd probably be happy paying for some of it. I ended up putting heated Wet Okoles in mine so I would of went for leather and heated seats. Probably. A real trip computer would be nice.

Products Discussed in

To Top