1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Would you buy a 2010 built at NUMMI?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by seligman, Aug 19, 2009.

1. Aug 19, 2009 at 7:10 PM
    Tacoyota

Tacoyota senile member

Member:
    North of Cali, South of Canada
    Vehicle:
    08 4wd
    4.56 gears, rear trutrac,DT header, 235/85r16 Duratracs, 2nd filter pulled, inter.wipers, Cruise control, Factory alum. whls/winter tires(2nd set), Afe pro Dry-S , Dumbo eared flaps cut down.
    I agree with the keeping a job part. Crazy how many ways u can lose your job when its nothing u did.

2. Aug 19, 2009 at 8:37 PM
    Raven65

Raven65 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Camden, SC
    Vehicle:
    '09 Magnetic Gray Reg Cab 5-Lug
    Curt hitch, D-rings, bed mat
    No hate for the Mexican-built trucks or for Mexicans in general... I'd just rather support American auto workers and the American economy than Mexico. I would actually prefer to buy an American-built truck from an American auto maker so that the profit would stay here too instead of going to Japan, but there's basically no acceptable American alternative to a Tacoma. Ranger? Colorado/Canyon? Dakota? No thanks.

3. Aug 19, 2009 at 8:53 PM
    seligman

seligman [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    You realize there's no such thing as an American vehicle anymore, right?

Fords and Chevys and Chryslers and Toyotas assembled in the United States use parts that originate in dozens of countries around the world. You should feel good about this, third world countries are much better off, and so are you.

If every part on your truck were assembled in the USA, the price of a truck would easily jump to $40,000 for a small to mid-size.

Americans in general are very selfish (greedy) about economics. They seem to think it's better to keep all profits within the country, and in so doing, to hell with everyone else. It's sad.

Sorry if this offends you. I think you're a good guy, but at the same time, you deserve my honesty.

4. Aug 20, 2009 at 12:12 AM
    RWS_350MAG

RWS_350MAG Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off Road 4x4 AC
    Toytec Ultimate lift, Tailgate anti-theft mod, 265/75-16 Goodyear Duratrac tires on stock rims, Lakeland Predator Cap, Rear seat headrests removed, Husky Floorliners
    I am buying a Tacoma built at NUMMI.
    Hope to take delivery late August - early September.
    2010 Access Cab 4x4 V6 with 6 Speed.

5. Aug 20, 2009 at 6:47 PM
    Raven65

Raven65 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Camden, SC
    Vehicle:
    '09 Magnetic Gray Reg Cab 5-Lug
    Curt hitch, D-rings, bed mat
    I appreciate your honesty - and especially the adult tone in which it is delivered. Thanks. I've followed the automotive industry very closely for about 30 years now and know all about how ALL automakers take full advantage of the global economy. It's capitalism at its finest. I was mainly referring to the labor being used to build the vehicle rather than the content that goes into it. I don't think it's selfish or greedy at all to want to support one's own countrymen or their country's economy. I am an American. I want to help employ other Americans - and I want them, in turn, to contribute to the American economy by spending their paychecks here and to pay taxes here to support the government that provides them all of the many advantages and rights that Americans enjoy.

I am not offended, but I absolutely disagree that "Americans in general are very selfish (greedy) about economics". America - as the largest economy in the world (unless you count the 27 states that make up the European Union as an individual "country") - contributes significantly more money to every other countries' economies than any other country in the world - hands down - any way you want to measure it. I'm very proud of that fact.

6. Jan 27, 2017 at 6:59 AM
    glwood6

glwood6 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    03 XCab Prerunner
    Bilstein 4600 shocks.
    Thread revival...just wondering how all the 'wall' talk is going to affect Tacomas assembled in Mexico, and whether the pricing will go up dramatically due to the talk of increased tariffs...

Last edited: Jan 27, 2017
    Rburdeaux likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top