1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Would you like fries, er, an oil change with that?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by PropJet, Jul 18, 2009.

1. Jul 18, 2009 at 7:38 PM
    PropJet

PropJet [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    KS
    Vehicle:
    '09 DC TRD Off Road
    ToyTec Ultimate Lift Kit, Moto Metal 955's, GoodYear DuraTrac 265/75/16's, N-Fab Nerf Bar
    Serious question here. What does it take to be qualified for a position as a service advisor or service manager? I'm beginning to think it doesn't require any more qualifications than to apply at McDonald's. In my short time here at TW, I have read numerous examples of stories that have been fed to some of us by various Toyota service departments in an effort to get out of fixing our trucks (most of the time it has to do with the leaf spring tsb). Two examples that immediately come to mind:

1. There's a post here where a member indicated that the service advisor told him that the tongue weight includes the weight of the gas in the Tacoma, as well as the occupants. Now obviously this is incorrect, but I'm going to go with it anyway. In the case of Tacomas that don't have the towing package, they have a max tongue weight of 350 lbs. Subtract from this a full tank of gas (I think it's 21 gallons at 6 lbs / gallon, or something like that), and you'd have 224 lbs left. In a lot of cases, that's only enough for the driver. In other words, a full tank of gas, the driver, and NO TRAILER, and you're basically at the max tongue weight for the vehicle. What's next, does this guy also think the max trailer weight includes the weight of the truck???

2. This example is one that I experienced myself yesterday. My dealer went out of the way to find a fix for my leaf springs bottoming out with a load in the bed. I even provided a copy of the tsb for this very problem. However, they said that tsb didn't apply, because that tsb calls for SOFTER springs to be installed. I even read to him directly from the tsb the part about how customers may complain about a harsh ride with weight in the bed when going over bumps, as well as the note about how the service advisor should advise the customer that if they do the tsb, that the ride will be firmer if there's no weight in the bed. He still insisted that the tsb called for softer springs. Let's see, the springs I have are too weak, so Toyota's answer is to install softer springs, which somehow allow the truck to support the weight better. That makes a hell of a lot of sense.

These aren't minor misunderstandings. This is a total lack of common sense. Anyone whose job is to act as the middle man between the customer and the mechanic ought to not only have some common sense, but actually possess some knowledge about their products. I'm thinking that it must really suck to have a job where your customers exhibit more knowledge about your industry than you have on a daily basis.

In my case, I have lost any and all confidence in the service department to properly fix any problem I may have in the future, due to their lying or lack of knowledge, whichever it may be.

Thoughts? Opinions?

2. Jul 18, 2009 at 7:53 PM
    carmellocafe

carmellocafe Begin With The End In Mind.

Member:
    First Name:
    KEVIN
    N. California
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD OR Access cab longbed
    Nice post. Well said. It does seem that too many people are going through hell dealing with the dealerships.:mad: But, this topic has been beaten like a::deadhorse: and it's probably best if we just learn from it. Obviously for a lot of folks their experience with them hasn't been pleasant. But, there are several which have actually been treated with decency & gotten what they wanted. I guess this proves it really depends on the specific dealership you talk to.

3. Jul 19, 2009 at 3:37 AM
    reg boulette

reg boulette Well-Known Member

Member:
    If interested, look up a few 'help wanted' advertisements for service advisors with any dealership. Top two qualifications for position are 'ability to deal with public' and 'sales ability'. Rarely is there any mention of mechanical ability. That is why you keep getting nickel and dime suggestions such as a 'battery service', 'brake cleaning', or 'balancing wheels on tire rotation' etc.

4. Jul 19, 2009 at 4:24 AM
    StandingCow

StandingCow Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4x4 V6 access cab
    Service advisers/managers are part of the stealership. The stealership is an evil place that is to be avoided whenever possible. So, I go in there expecting problems, and incorrect information, I have to always go in there knowledgeable about what my issue is, so I cannot be fed BS, which is always a good idea (to go into a place knowing something about the product/issue).

It is the same exact thing as buying a car, you have to know in having a good idea about the price, and what you are doing.

So, I look at service managers/advisers as semi-glorified sales people.

5. Jul 19, 2009 at 4:33 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    It's not any different than any other career/job. You're gonna have the idiots who think they know everything (but don't) and those who actually are good at their jobs. Some people just don't give a shit and do the least amount of work they possibly can. They make up shit to explain things they don't know anything about.

There are three of us on a piece of equipment where I work (one on each shift) and these guys totally suck!! Everyday I'm fixing the same shit they messed with in previous shifts.

I was once told by a fellow co-worker that describes the two guys I have to work with:

Example: You have a bolt missing from a piece of the equipment.
    The one guy - he'll redesign where the bolt goes.
    The other guy - he'll use a hammer to put the bolt back in.

I've been working with these guys for 6 months now, and that statement is soooooooooooooooooo TRUE!!!

6. Jul 19, 2009 at 6:05 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    I have noticed this as well. Most recent experience I had was in Payson. My Mom buys a new truck. Top line Dodge cummins 4x4. I go up there to check it out, and I notice the dash has a 3/4" gap in it. I can see the firewall. I take it to the dealer, and a service guy comes up. I tell him, "Could you look at the dash, it seems its not attached correctly." His reply: "You will have to bring it in on Monday so we can plug it into out computer". Me: "WHAT!? How is the computer gonna know if the dash has a big gap in it? Why cant you just look at it?" Him: "There are alot of sensors on these new trucks, and it needs to be checked on the computer". I just stared at him. I took it back to my parents house and fixed it my self. It just needed to be cliped in propperly. I DO belive there are some techs out there that know their shit. kevhogaz is one of them. Others seem to have NO clue on how a vehicle even works, or really want to help with an issue. TO ADD, I belive the majority of the "Techs" at these dealers are barley qualified (Or compotent) to perform an oil change. I also think that with the amount of info availible online, the consumer is much more educated about their vehicle.

7. Jul 19, 2009 at 7:12 AM
    pataco

pataco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Down by the lake
    Vehicle:
    05 4x4 trd dc white
    FOX 2.0 RESIS,LRUCAS,BILLY 5100S ON THE REAR.MAGNAFLOW 11264,COLOR MATCHED GRILL,YELLOW FOG MOD.OVER HEAD DVD,FEDERAL COURAGIA M/T
    chris that is just so funny,no punt intended.i no just what everyone is talking about.bunch of idiots out there.

8. Jul 19, 2009 at 7:23 AM
    FL4x4Taco

FL4x4Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    I've been battling this issue for the past few years with Toyota, Suzuki, Ford & Subaru dealerships. It's everywhere. No common sense. It's frustrating as hell. I've come to the conclusion that these guys are SALES GUYS! They are commissioned, and strictly after a dollar and like I said before, sales guys. That is the problem. They have never worked as a mechanic, don't care to, and obviously most are not smart enought to. Most I've encountered don't even know what a TSB is!!! HOLY F'n cow dude. How do they keep their job?

9. Jul 19, 2009 at 7:33 AM
    KenpachiZaraki

KenpachiZaraki Its Wicked Flow BITCHES!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex •﹏•
    Lubbock
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD. 325/275/365 SBD
    ALL POSER- Afe Pro Dry S drop in filter, 3" AP leaf pack, Eibach w/5100's up front, 5100's rear, Fog Light Mod, ABS off mod, Dash Light MOD, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, Wicked Flow Bitches MAX Muffler, 4" floods, 20", 43" light bars, 265/75/16 Hankook Dynapro ATm, oil catch can, rear diff breather relocate, Custome Sliders, SOS concepts Front bumper, Demon Eye Mod, backlit TRD emblem on bumper, Morimoto D2S projectors,
    I know what you guys mean, I took my truck to the stealership because I need to get my front diff seals replaced. So I tell the guy I need the FRONT differetial seals replace. He said ok and after a few mins of paper pushing and typing he gives me the paper to sign and on it it says Rear differential. He had gone out there to "take a look at it" but I saw the num nutz looking at my rear diff. Are these guys just stupid? After I pointed it out to him he was like " oh ok lemme change it on here" so after a few more mins of typing, he prints out the SAME damn paper with REAR differential, so he corrects this by crossing out rear and writing in front in his poorest service tech handwriting. F^$#ing weaksauce!! I was more than dissapointed. I want to get a job there that way I can educate the customer. I knew more sh!t than tech I bet. I think TW members should build their own toyota dealership.

10. Jul 19, 2009 at 7:34 AM
    FL4x4Taco

Member:
    I believe it dude. It's F'n sad. I don't understand how they keep their job! I'm betting 98% of customers they see are non-car people that know even less than them. So they get away with this stupid shiz 98% of the time.

11. Jul 19, 2009 at 7:39 AM
    senna

senna Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Jose CA.
    Vehicle:
    09 DBL CAB TRD-OR OME shocks 885 and AAL
    My dad's favorite saying

" He does not know enough to know how much he does not know"

12. Jul 19, 2009 at 8:11 AM
    Ticketdoctor

Ticketdoctor Senior Lettuce Washer

Member:
    Ithaca, NY
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma Double TRD O.R. 4x4 Timberland Mica
    XM Radio Mod, TRD Skid Plate, Bed Mat, Weathertech, More to come.
    It does not take much to be a service manager. I have a very good friend that graduated with a degree in political science and then worked as a service manager for one year straight out of college. No automotive experience besides what he had from working on a small dairy farm. After six months he thought the job was BS and ended up going to law school.

This was for a pretty good size Jeep dealership in the northeast.

He is a very good BS'er so most of his customers walked away with a smile.

Goes to show you, no experience needed.

The techs on the other hand are usually pretty good, but it is rare that you get to speak directly with the tech without someone else listening in.

13. Jul 19, 2009 at 8:43 AM
    SlurpeeBlueMetallic

SlurpeeBlueMetallic FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU...

Member:
    My experience...

I was 1500 miles from home without any tools (had to leave home with no notice) and was going to hit the 5000 mile service interval before I got home. So I needed an oil change and tire rotation and the only tools my mother-in-law has are a hammer, screw driver and coat hanger. So... my choices are Jiffy Lube and the like or back to a local dealership.

I know what Jiffy Lube/et al charge so I called the closest dealership and got a quote from "someone" for 5000 mile service at $48 after tax which is pretty good considering I didn't have any coupons. So I decide to hit up the dealer for the service since it'll actually be the cheaper option and was transferred over to a service advisor to make an appointment for later in the week. The service advisor I talked to when making the appointment made sure to tell me to ask for him so he got his cut of the sale.

When I get there a different service advisor comes out before I'm even in park and asks me what he can help me with. I tell him I need a 5000 mile service and he asks if I have a coupon... I tell him no and he says "That's ok, we're running a special for $38 right now anyway." I say "That's great" and give him the name of the service advisor I spoke to on the phone. He grumbles but does the hand-off to the other advisor who then presents me with paperwork for a $62+tax 500 mile service!

WTF? Three quotes on two different days for the same service with a 60% price difference? So I pull the two SAs and cashier (who I spoke to on the first call) together and we have a quick meeting of the minds:

- Person A quotes me $48 over the phone
    - Person B quotes me $38 in person
    - Person C then gives me a $62 authorization slip to sign

After that I got it for $35 after tax :)

14. Jul 19, 2009 at 11:08 AM
    fishshooter

fishshooter Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northwest Florida
    Vehicle:
    09 Super White TRD Off Road 4X4
    Stock
    I worked with a guy that left our company and went to work at a Ford dealership as a service advisor. He had zero mechanical experience and very little common sense. He is,however,a good bullshit artist (salesman) and did well. He eventually left, it was too over the top, even for him. So no, one does not need to have any practical experience or relevant education to be in that position.

15. Jul 19, 2009 at 1:48 PM
    PropJet

PropJet [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    KS
    Vehicle:
    '09 DC TRD Off Road
    ToyTec Ultimate Lift Kit, Moto Metal 955's, GoodYear DuraTrac 265/75/16's, N-Fab Nerf Bar
    Funny you mention this. I like to shoot a little photography purely for fun, and I can honestly say that I know enough about photography to realize that I really don't know that much at all. At least I recognize my shortcomings though.

Back on topic... If I have a problem, I would much rather hear the service advisor admit that he's not sure of the fix (as long as he's willing to do a little research to find a solution), than to hear him feed me bs stories of why the problem is "normal" or "within specs."

16. Jul 19, 2009 at 1:54 PM
    Anathollo

Anathollo www.saveadane.org

Member:
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Icon coilovers, Rear Fox Resi-shocks, 285/70/17 Toyo A/T's, Touchscreen JVC Headunit, Custom Rhino-lined sub box, Rocksford Fosgate components and Dual Rockford Fosgate 10" shallow subs, Pioneer and Rocksford Fosgate amps, 1250 watts total, Autometer Volt and Trans gauges with Lotek A-pillar, K&N Drop-in filter, WO Seat covers, Tint, NST WP pulley, Hi-lift jack, Diff breather mod, horn relocation mod, extra "D" rings, de-pinstriped, carrier bearing drop, Rear backup 886 bulbs, Camburg UCA's, AMW Catch can, BHLM, OME Dakars with AAL, Procomp 7089's, Front single hoop Demello bumper, Superwinch Tiger Shark 9500, Amsteel 3/8th synthetic line
    Well is it just me, or why in the TSB reports are there descriptive pictures of how to do the install (on AAL) and step by step directions? Shouldn't they know AREADY how to replace a leaf pack? Thats what irks me... and I had to give my TSB report to the "mechanic" (and I use that term lightly) so he could do my TSB because otherwise, he didn't have a clue of what to do.

After they finished on my truck, I crawled under and check everything over for 20 mins making sure every bolt was tight and the springs lubed. I got lucky and they did the job right.

17. Jul 19, 2009 at 2:33 PM
    tinker_troy

tinker_troy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    T R O Y
    WY/SD
    Vehicle:
    #3, 2015 SR AC 4x4 V6 6 speed
    shackle brace, rear sway bar, 3 gen seats, Coupe Shifter, 3rd gen OR front springs + shocks, 17" TuRD PRO replica wheels
    oh this is gonna be a good topic!
    The week after I got my Taco I went back and talked to one of the service managers about the spring TSB. Older guy, real nice, no BS, just said bring it in and we'll get it done. So I stop by the next day with the truck and walk in ask this younger guy where I could find the guy I talked to the day before. Wouldn't you know it, he was off that day. SO, I tell this guy I need to drop my truck off or make an appointment when I can drop it off for the spring TSB. He tries to hand me a card with an 800 number on it to call to schedule the appointment... I just look at him. After a few seconds of him standing there looking at me I say, with a smile on my face, "Now, why the f**k would I call, if I am standing right here?". He says ok, he can make the appointment right there if that is what I would like. "Now you're catching on!" Don't think the guy liked me much after that.
    Ended up taking the truck back after they did the TSB because of a horrible CLUNK in the front end. Took them two days to fix and then they tried to tell me was just a loose sway bar bolt (checked them and a few other things before I took it back, it wasn't no f**king sway bar bolt). When I went back to pick it up the second time the mechanic comes screaming though the parking lot with it and slams on the brakes in the service area, just missing the door. AND too top it off it had a new door ding in it (no dent just scuffed the paint). Needless to say I was a bit hacked off and let them know it. then I get in to leave and the truck stank of brake cleaner.
    Yeah, it's never going back there.

18. Jul 19, 2009 at 2:45 PM
    brian

brian Another Traitor

Member:
    Elizabeth City, NC
    Vehicle:
    2017 F-250 Powerstroke
    I know the feeling, find another dealership.

I went in for a squealing sound in the back of my truck, thought it might ahve been a u-joint, something in the LSD, i coudn't trace it.

They test drove it, said they never heard it. I drove it with them, they finally heard it...
    told me they didnt' know what the hell it was, and reccomended to drive it until it breaks, and grease the u-joints/slipshaft in the meanwhile. THEY NEVER EVEN LOOKED UNDER THE VEHICLE. Guy was wearing a nice button up, be a shame to get it dirty. Service never even actually got the truck in.

Needless to say I drove home and finally found it.... piece of shielding from my gas tank bent over onto driveshaft. Never saw it from my previous angles. STUUUUPIIIIDDDD!!!!

Now they're not replying me on my clearcoat issue with my bumper. LOVE IT. Gonna raise hell soon.

19. Jul 19, 2009 at 6:11 PM
    FL4x4Taco

Member:
    Look at this one post... how many stupid situations could of been avoided. WTF doesn't Toyota look into these things!!?? How the heck is service so down the food chain that it doesn't matter. Or you'd think the dealership owner would make sure the service dept had competent folks.

Products Discussed in

To Top