1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Would you take a mediocre paying job in a great place to work?

Discussion in 'Jobs & Careers' started by Larry, Aug 27, 2010.

1. Aug 27, 2010 at 7:04 PM
    Larry

Larry [OP] CARL

Member:
    CARL
    Simple question...

After 30+ years in the home building business...and some time in real estate...

I have a job offer in a real cool environment...that pays squat.

Now, I can make it financially on the mediocre pay...and the hours are 40 weekly...I'm gonna be 51 in a week...I'm kinda semi-retired already...

I like the idea of a steady pay check (although the amount is almost comical)...and I'm still waiting on the final offer, but I believe the bennies (health insurance) alone may make it worth it...

I will have to continue to do a little real estate investing & selling on the side, just because I want to continue to build up the nest egg I currently have.

I'm a young 50 year old...with only the wife, and no kids...the good Lord has blessed us both with good health. We have almost no debt. We live a simple life. We are going to sell the home we live in that I built last year (our 10th in 25 years)...we just bought another lot to build a smaller home in a year or 2...

Basically, after running the rat race and chasing the dollar for 30+ years...I'm ready to cruise with no stress...work a little (to me, 40 hours a week is a little)...fish a little...go to the beach...read a few good books...play my guitar...knock back some cold long necks...listen to music...watch the sunsets...

And live a stress free life. You know..."Wastin' away in Margaritaville"

So, whatcha y'all think?

2. Aug 27, 2010 at 7:11 PM
    Incognito

Incognito No better friend, no worse enemy

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2012 Pyrite AC TRD OR
    Spacer lift, bumper stickers, ejector seat, etc.
    Sounds like you've got it pretty well off, congratulations on your semi-retirement. :) The health insurance sounds like a good deal, but make sure you are definitely fully covered, because the last thing you want is a hefty medical bill if something may happen. If you can live without the extra cash from the job and it has good health insurance and benefits, then it sounds like a good idea. Make sure you are still saving and are not living to what you are making, as anything that may happen will put your financial state in a world of trouble. Good luck!

3. Aug 27, 2010 at 7:19 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    Sounds like you have the ideal situation. I have a "mediocre paying job in a great place to work". If I could stay there forever I would. But I'm still young, and I need to make my money still. Good for you for having your stuff together enough to kick back and relax at an early age.

Just remember, you could be gone tomorrow. If you can be in a great work environment instead of a crappy one, then that's what you should do I think.

4. Aug 27, 2010 at 7:22 PM
    hendooman

hendooman The Stroker Ace

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    KC
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma OR (SOLD); 2015 TRD PRO 4Runner
    Toytec TRD PRO LIFT with 1.5 SAW in rear, 255 Coopers, Baja Rack, Southern Style Front Bumper, Warn Wireless Winch, DeMello Sliders.
    Sounds like you have kind of made up your mind. Sounds like the good life my man, enjoy the longnecks!

5. Aug 27, 2010 at 7:24 PM
    fletch aka

fletch aka www.BeLikeBrit.org

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Left Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Magnetic Gray TRD OffRoad
    TRD cat back exhaust, TRD Cold Air Intake, differential breather mod' Hellwig rear sway bar, 16x8 TRD Ivan Stewart's, Michelin LTX A/T2, DTRL Stealth Mode Mod, custom "Texas Edition" shift knob, Sock's "Classic" bedside decals, MetalMiller custom grill emblem, 20% front tinted windows, tinted taillights, Viper alarm, ScanGauge II, Flyzeye Designs V2W Tacoma Interior LED lighting, de-mud flapped, de-badged, extra D-rings under bed bolts, WeatherTech ED floor mats, G4 Elite Fold a Cover ,Toyota bed mat, tailgate theft deterrent device and absolutely no plasti-dip!
    I'm 54 and about 4 years from retirement "numbers wise" with health insurance. I have a very nice retirement account that has taken a beating over the last couple of years, (thank you "hope and change"). Even after thirty years with the company I still have to watch over my shoulder, work harder then the new blood coming in. Not easy to keep up with a 20 year old on steroids. Anyway, this same thought runs through my mind. Wal-Mart greater sounds good sometimes, no stress. I would love to stay at my job till I'm 60 and then hook up with a wedding photographer as a assistant, I would almost do that for free.

6. Aug 27, 2010 at 7:40 PM
    Larry

Larry [OP] CARL

Member:
    CARL
    Yeah...kinda. If the final offer is in line.

I guess I'm looking for encouragement from cyberspace. [yes even us old guys need it from time to time]

It's hard to think of working for a year to make what I used to make in a few months. lol

But, yes...I am fortunate to have a frugal wife and we have saved pretty well. And I am kinda worn out.

I'd hate to die in my 60's and not enjoyed the last 10 years. :(

7. Aug 27, 2010 at 7:42 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Go for it Larry .

8. Aug 27, 2010 at 7:47 PM
    ImpulseRed008

ImpulseRed008 Gone But Not Forgotten

Member:
    First Name:
    Susan
    SC
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 V6 w/tow pkg
    OEM SS tube steps, Access LE tonneau cover, pop n'lock, AVS in-channel vent visors, stubby antenna, Wet Okole seat covers, bed mat, rear diff breather mod, 4 extra d rings in bed, K&N air filter.
    Go for it!!! It's better to enjoy life than to rake in the $$$$ I've read many stories about people trading in the rat race to go live in the wilds of alaska and LOVE IT.

9. Aug 27, 2010 at 7:49 PM
    tacosupreme54

tacosupreme54 Well-Known Member

Member:
    NW GA
    Vehicle:
    Off-Road 4x4 SR-5
    OME 885's, 90000 and n182 shocks, CB drop, 295/75/16 Hankook Dynapro MT RT03's, 16"x8" Pro Comp 7089 wheels, Avid Off Road Light Bar, Magnaflow 12226-14'' Muffler dumped after axle, color matched grille, Team Realtree camo seat and steering wheel covers, Husky floor liners, towing hitch, bed extender, Tacoma bed mat, all black emblems, black sockmonkey decals, bedlined rear bumper.
    sounds good to me.

10. Aug 27, 2010 at 7:53 PM
    cabarbhab

cabarbhab Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Mary Esther, FL
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD OR 4x4
    i think you have your mind made up already. i am in the military, so i know what it is like to have a mediocre paying job with good benefits. money isn't everything, that being said being broke and living in debt is no way to live. i think you know what you want to do, so do it.

11. Aug 27, 2010 at 8:13 PM
    Larry

Larry [OP] CARL

Member:
    CARL
    Wow...you guys are awesome. Thanks

I met with them today...and I admit all along (the past 3 weeks) I was thinking "hey this would be cool"

Then today as the reality is getting closer...I'm starting to get the "ebee-gee-bees"...(a cute term for anxiety)

I also think it's a little blow to the ego. But I can get over that.

Life is a funny thing...10-15 years ago I was going through money like I was a rock star...but not really happy.

Now, we watch every dollar...clip coupons...etc...and I'm more happy than ever. I appreciate my wife more...dare say I even love her more...

I appreciate my new Tacoma more than the brand new 65 thousand dollar Corvette Convertible I had bought.

I'm back to going to church every Sunday morning...and it's one of the highlights of my week (it's a contemporary service with a great little Christian rock group...a great guitarist and his wife has an awesome voice)

OMG...I'm getting old and mellow. :)

12. Aug 27, 2010 at 8:15 PM
    SlurpeeBlueMetallic

SlurpeeBlueMetallic FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU...

Member:
    Hell, I hope to wind up with what you're describing some day... I say take full advantage of it!

13. Aug 30, 2010 at 2:48 PM
    Larry

Larry [OP] CARL

Member:
    CARL
    Well...OK

It looks like this is gonna happen. I go in Wednesday morning for orientation.

I'll spill the beans on the who-what-where after that.

Any guesses? lol

14. Aug 30, 2010 at 4:31 PM
    LostRebel

LostRebel Well-Known Member

Member:
    Almost Canada, USA
    Vehicle:
    Black Access Cab 4x4 TRD Off Road
    Fisher plow, BakFlip and Snugtop cap, Demello Sliders, Scanguage,
    With your background, I'll guess Lowes or Home Depot? ;)
    Whatever you have chosen, I'm sure you'll make the best of it. Job satisfaction is oftentimes more rewarding than the pay.

15. Aug 30, 2010 at 4:32 PM
    Mush Mouse

Mush Mouse Club Soda Not Seals

Member:
    First Name:
    mush
    where ever you want me to be
    Vehicle:
    2013 SR5
    its a Toyota truck and that's all the modifications needed
    Wow your life seems similar to mine except Im not quite 50 yet but I lost my job in Construction(Ratrace) and have also been chasing dollars my whole life,I too want to get an enjoyable career even if the money wasnt what I made in the boom time construction. Im looking for job security and health and dental benefits,Ive found out its a really tough job market for any decent job right now and doesnt seem like itll get better till Obamas out and the Republicans get back in power which will be soon. I say take the job if it fits keep it if not you always can go back doing what you did before. Im presently looking at Federal Government positions if I can match up my experience to something there.

16. Aug 30, 2010 at 4:59 PM
    Larry

Larry [OP] CARL

Member:
    CARL
    Thought about those 2. There is a newer HD here and a brand new Lowes to be built here soon, I hear.

But this is something more fun...and a destination environment.

17. Aug 30, 2010 at 5:00 PM
    Larry

Larry [OP] CARL

Member:
    CARL
    Thanks Tio...I value your opinion.

18. Aug 30, 2010 at 5:50 PM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    I say go for it as long as you can swing it financially. I had a job I loved that didn't pay that great and thought I made a good decision when I took a great paying job for a huge company. Unfortunately the new job kind of sucks and I'd give anything to go back. Pay cut and all! Good luck to you!

19. Aug 30, 2010 at 6:41 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Mickey Mouse at Disneyworld ?

20. Aug 30, 2010 at 6:45 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    DO YOU LIKE THE PEOPLE YOU WILL BE WORKING WITH?

I have found this always matters more than compensation or work duties. Good co-workers can make a mediocre job a pleasure, and pain in the ass co-workers can make a good job hell.

To Top