1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

WOULD YOU TRAVEL TO MEXICO FOR SPRING BREAK?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by sofiasdad11, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Mar 22, 2012 at 5:05 PM
    jdickey03

jdickey03 $enior M3MB3R

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    (SOLD)2006 Tacoma trd offroad
    3" skyjacker Lift,Pioneer touch screen unit. Relentless Rear Bumper.
    Oh another thing it seems like we always end up doing is meeting locals and hanging out with them a bit. In P. Vallerta we met this dude and we went to lunch with him and his wife. Hung out a bit and asked us if we wanted to go on a fishing trip with him on his uncles boat. We said we'd think about it, we got his number. Next day we called and asked if we could meet his uncle and check out the boat. Everything looked legit, we asked him how much his uncle charged, he said no charge, we just bring lunch, drinks, pay for our own license, and buy bait. I think it came out to like $100 bucks or so(we already had lunch food at the resort).. he didnt have a car so we picked him, his wife, and his baby up the next morning went out and caught some Dorado. TIPPED the uncle about $150 for letting us go with him, and drove the family back into town with us. the Sad thing was he wanted us to drop him off the same place we picked him up...down the road from his house i think.. Couldn't figure out why, till i asked my father inlaw, he said most likely he didnt want us to see his house cause the area we were in was kinda run down.. Also met a guy at our resort in cabo, he was basically our server the entire time, but after his shift was done he'd call my room and ask if i wanted to go play soccer down the road with his team.

Just because theres "gang" killings and stuff like that doesnt mean everyone you meet down there is going to chop your head off.

2. Mar 22, 2012 at 5:10 PM
    AlphaEcho2k5

AlphaEcho2k5 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Hurlburt Field, FL
    Vehicle:
    '02 4Runner
    I went with the Wife and Kids back in '09. We flew into Leon and stayed in near Guanajuato with my Wife's fam. It was away from the tourist towns and we stayed on the family's ranch. Yeah, we seen the Federales from time to time but nothing crazy like near the border towns.

3. Mar 22, 2012 at 5:10 PM
    Tacomanator

Tacomanator Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Clam Slammer
    Southern Cali
    King 2.5" extended travel coilovers with compression adjusters, Camburg UCA's, King 2.5" rear shocks, TRD 1st gen CAI.
    My parents go to Mexico all the time. As long as you know where your goin, you'll be fine. Don't let the media keep you from going.

Fucked up shit happens in America too...

4. Mar 22, 2012 at 5:15 PM
    adrianpa75

adrianpa75 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adrian
    San Diego, CA.
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport
    Volant Intake Airaid Spacer 2.5 Lift Kit 285/70/17 BF A/T
    dude go to cancun this guys dont know sh** .... take your family and enjoy cancun... visit the mayan ruins and the incredible beaches.... security is everywhere, cops in almost every corner.... they take good care of gringos over there....

5. Mar 22, 2012 at 5:18 PM
    jdickey03

jdickey03 $enior M3MB3R

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    (SOLD)2006 Tacoma trd offroad
    3" skyjacker Lift,Pioneer touch screen unit. Relentless Rear Bumper.
    yeah, im going to cancun next january. Federales take really good care of you, they dont want people to be scared to go to Mexico on vacation, they know if people are scared there countries losing tourist money.

6. Mar 22, 2012 at 6:16 PM
    Whistler_Steve

Whistler_Steve Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Whistler, Canada
    Vehicle:
    06 Radiant Red TRD Offroad
    Icon Ext Travel Coilovers--LR Upper Control Arms--Icon 3 Leaf AAL--OME 182 Rear Shocks--BFG KM/2 285/75/16--Replica TT TRD FJ Wheels
    Exactly, it's like not taking your kids to Disneyland cause you are worried about running into gang activity in LA.

Anywhere can be dangerous....it's all about using common sense :cool:

7. Mar 24, 2012 at 7:41 AM
    SWM

SWM Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2006 TRD DCSB
    friend went down 4 or 5 years ago, rented some scooters and got caught between resorts at night (went to visit some chicks they met and the resort wouldn't let them in)

somehow he ends up in a coma and all beat to shit. his family went down to get him and the police were saying he hit a bus and caused lots of damage. they wanted them to pay for the damage before letting him out of the country but wouldn't show them the scooter or the bus.

he got flown back to Toronto and remained in a coma for like a month. he now has brain damage and has never been the same since. he doesn't remember even going to mexico so no idea what actually happened to him.

too many stories like this over the years. nothing to do with the cartels... just local thugs.

8. Mar 24, 2012 at 7:44 AM
    markmatters

markmatters Viejon

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Yuma, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2007 PreRunner
    just got back from rocky point! drove my truck out there....shauuu im still alive...

9. Mar 24, 2012 at 7:54 AM
    Coma2010

Coma2010 2012 TRD Off Road Prerunner

Member:
    First Name:
    Dustin
    Glendale
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD PreRunner Dbl Cab
    I was just in Rocky Point in October and we had a blast! Now I know its not Cancun but only 4 hour drive and cheaper then San Diego. We went with some friends and they took their 1 year old and both dogs and it was all good. But thats RP not Cancun so ............

10. Mar 24, 2012 at 7:56 AM
    PreRunner03

PreRunner03 Hail State

Member:
    Vehicle:
    03 PreRunner Double Cab TRD
    Go to the Cayman Islands if you want to travel abroad. I would reccomend staying in the states this year. Orange Beach, Alabama and Pensacola, Florida are much better and safer places to be.

11. Mar 24, 2012 at 7:59 AM
    markmatters

markmatters Viejon

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Yuma, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2007 PreRunner
    people are paranoid....there are bad places where you shouldn't even consider stepping foot in...mexico is like 40 mins from me...i go there all the same to eat their wonderful sea food..(fuck red lobster) and i've been arrested...thrown in jail...had my shoes jacked from jail that night...from my experience, people don't beat you up because you're american, white, black, mexicans...it's the silly people that go there and look for problems...for example: drunk marine who takes his shirt off and think they can take everyone at the club. Marine gets Marine gets detained at the border for not having a shirt and has a blood everywhere...swollenface..broken arm...marine gets in trouble...marine makes up story of how somebody tried to jack his wallet and beat him up....

12. Mar 24, 2012 at 8:00 AM
    markmatters

markmatters Viejon

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Yuma, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2007 PreRunner
    yeah rp is nothing like cancun...im just saying...people think there's dudes with guns everywhere...

13. Mar 24, 2012 at 8:23 AM
    achirdo

achirdo I Weld!

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    North DFW
    Vehicle:
    06 dodge ram 3500 5.9 cummins
    I went to Playa del Carmen last December with s good friend of mine. Friends family goes there twice a year! They have never felt unsafe or in danger while they are there. Don't drive, fly there. Don't rent a car/mopeds/whatever. Don't carry a lot of money. Stay in the tourist areas. Going out at night was perfectly fine, huge night life there.

Saw lots of police presence there to calm the nerves of tourists

14. Mar 24, 2012 at 8:27 AM
    Euphorbia

Euphorbia Member

Member:
    Saltair,Cascadia
    Vehicle:
    06 2x4 Access Cab, paid for, under 130k km...
    My gf and I went for a week to Zihua in Feb, trippin to Pie de la Cuesta and to Troncones...
    We didnt do the resort thing at all. It was awesome. The people were all amazing, the heat was welcome, and the food was super. I wouldnt hesitate to go again, nor to take my two kids.

15. Mar 24, 2012 at 8:31 AM
    ruler1

ruler1 stump thumper

Member:
    palmetto fl
    Vehicle:
    97 2.7 4x4 5speed
    header, k&n intake, ome coils, springs and struts,diff drop, Urd simulator, dynomax exhaust, slotted roters, bpv relocater
    Florida is all thugged out. British tourists killed by teen, cop killed by teen, buss loads of minorities pouring in about the hooded teen that was killed by neighbor hood watch. It is not fun down here unless you enjoy a really urban lifestyle.

Mexico is scary. I wouldn't want to fly over without a payload.

16. Mar 24, 2012 at 11:32 AM
    Broseph Stalin

Broseph Stalin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Santa Barbara
    Vehicle:
    '10 white dbl cab LB trd sport
    15% tint , Bak Flip G2 tonneau cover, poplock WeatherTech mats, FX-R retrofit, BHLM, eyelids, smoke Lamin-X, daystar leveling kit, studded snow tires and a shitload of sand bags
    go to Belize! i studied abroad there, i recommend Caye Kaulker island...AMAZING!

17. Mar 24, 2012 at 5:49 PM
    Larry

Larry CARL

Member:
    CARL
    Panama City Beach is in the Panhandle.

A whole different world than the rest of the state. Basically south Alabama. And although we have become more sophisticated over the last few decades...it's still pretty much "The Redneck Riviera"

Florida is the only state where you drive north to get to "The South" :D

I LOVE IT! wild horses couldn't drag me away.

:cheers:

18. Mar 24, 2012 at 5:55 PM
    PreRunner03

PreRunner03 Hail State

Member:
    Vehicle:
    03 PreRunner Double Cab TRD
    This. Fl Panhandle ftw. My dad is from DeFuniak Springs and my mom is from outside of Panama City. Probably the greatest place on Earth. :cool:

19. Mar 24, 2012 at 6:22 PM
    Larry

Larry CARL

Member:
    CARL
    We have lived in Destin for 22 years. My wife's family has been here for 30+ years.

Currently we are building a new home in Santa Rosa Beach.

It's a laid back resort town...with real southern charm. The most beautiful beaches in the state...awesome fishing...gin clear water...clean air...

I'm a Damn Yankee that's NEVER going back...y'all. :D

We feel blessed to be part of such a unique community.

20. Mar 24, 2012 at 7:36 PM
    ruler1

ruler1 stump thumper

Member:
    palmetto fl
    Vehicle:
    97 2.7 4x4 5speed
    header, k&n intake, ome coils, springs and struts,diff drop, Urd simulator, dynomax exhaust, slotted roters, bpv relocater
    Glad it is still nice there. 3 years ago it was nice here (just south of Tampa). It has changed and there are more active gangs here than most places in FL. I hope you can keep it how you like it. I'm moving to va as soon as possible. I can't remember a news story without a fresh murder.

Products Discussed in

To Top