1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Wow the dealerships are desperate.

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by ExGunner, Oct 26, 2021.

1. Oct 26, 2021 at 10:48 PM
    DLRIII

DLRIII Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Baton Rouge
    Vehicle:
    2018 Quicksand SR5 DCSB V6
    I was making sure I wasn't missing something. Happy you got a new truck man, I got contacted by the dealership for mine as well, just wasn't the right time for me and I'm happy with my truck. Kudos to anyone who can get the new truck they want reasonably, that's the part that would probably deter me the most.

grogorat likes this.
  2. Oct 26, 2021 at 11:02 PM
    myn75

myn75 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Nor Cal
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Off-Road 4x4 DCSB
    ARB OME BP-51 2”, TJM sliders, AT3Ws, Diode Dynamics SS42"
    got a killer deal for a work beater on one that way i dont have to waste miles on my truck

RedWings44[QUOTED] likes this.
  3. Oct 27, 2021 at 3:30 AM
    rastaban

rastaban Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Off-Road DCLB
    Really, how does this work? It blows my mind. Are there people out there so desperate to get a vehicle right then and there, that they will pay more for a used Taco than the MSRP + any dealer markups on a new one that's arriving months later? I can understand this for a car that is necessary for a daily commute, but why for a vehicle that's more suitable for business or recreational use that tends to be non-urgent?

huachuca likes this.
  4. Oct 27, 2021 at 3:49 AM
    capequahog

capequahog Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Cape Cod MA
    Vehicle:
    17TacomaDblCabTRDSport
    in the dreaded black
    how are dealers doing this when there is basically no new inventory
    just checked local dealer website, taco won't even come up on search option :confused:

Last edited: Oct 27, 2021
  5. Oct 27, 2021 at 4:08 AM
    jws6295

jws6295 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Central PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 SR5 double cab long bed
    Just got a call for mine as well. 16 sr5 double cab long bed. Told me sight unseen he’d give me 30 to 31k for it. I have a ton of positive equity in the truck as I only paid 21k for it. Might consider trading if I can beat my interest rate and monthly payment. They have a used 16 tundra crewmax with 73k and I could probably get into that for less than 20k after my trade etc.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2021
    Flyfishing likes this.
  6. Oct 27, 2021 at 4:33 AM
    Marshall R

Marshall R Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Marshall
    Vehicle:
    07 White TRD double cab
    none
    If you're ready to trade and if they have the new truck you really want then it might be a good time. But otherwise no. My 2007 Tacoma has 220,000 miles on it and peeling paint, I'm not getting any offers on it. At this point it qualifies as a beater. Although even in that condition it will bring more than it would have a year ago.

But the dealer where I bought my 2014 F150 contacts me about once a month wanting me to trade for a "newer" truck. So far no offers on a new one, but one of the offers got my attention. My current truck is 8 years old and I plan to trade it in about 2 more years anyway. They made me a good offer on a slightly used 2020 that initially looked like it had everything I wanted. But after looking closer I realized it came with the wrong axle ratios for my needs.

One thing I like about Toyota, they only offer one axle ratio mated to each engine and is exactly what I'd want. Ford on the other hand offers 4 different axle ratios. Get the wrong one and it will suck pulling a trailer.

7. Oct 27, 2021 at 4:43 AM
    RedWings44

RedWings44 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Michigan
    Vehicle:
    2017 Black TRD Off Road 4x4, 2019 MGM 4Runner SR5
    I wish I could but I have too many other priorities, unfortunately.

8. Oct 27, 2021 at 5:48 AM
    SARTechTaco

SARTechTaco Active Member

Member:
    It was a combination of lucky timing and having a good relationship with the dealership. Somehow this '22 taco wasnt spoken for, or there may have been people interested in it, but due to my relationship with the dealer they offered it to me first. There are auction fees for selling my '19 but $200 on a $10,000 profit was a pretty easy choice for me. If I am being completely honest I am pretty mindblown that people are paying this much for used trucks but hey, if it makes me money then I dont care lol. It all happened pretty quick, auction closed monday at noon, got all my belongings out monday afternoon (including tonneau cover/bed mat), and truck is getting shipped across the country by tuesday. I am lucky that I have another vehicle to drive for a few weeks until the '22 comes in. I have a hard time believing anyone would turn down lower payments, newer truck, and $10k in your pocket. Overall it was a great experience and the dealership treated me very well. Dont always assume the dealership is out to fuck you, sometimes its a win-win for everyone.

B1gDaddyT likes this.
  9. Oct 27, 2021 at 6:15 AM
    gregzz

gregzz Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    greg
    las vegas nv
    Vehicle:
    2011 tacoma crew cab 4x4 v6 4.0
    Wheels/ tires, tint, level kit. Rock crawler rails. 3- 6" procomp lights with light bar on front bumper. Magnaflow # 12256 stainless muffler. Billet shorty antenna.
    When I bought my Tacoma back in 2012 (mines a 2011) I did something I’ve never done and was negotiating ONLINE ONLY with the “online sales managers” at about 16 different dealerships from Las Vegas to Texas to Florida etc etc so I never had to step foot inside a Stealership until I made a deal. The online sales managers actually asked me how I learned this trick and I told them
    I had a friend that worked in a dealership and told me this which worked out excellent because when they start making stupid offers you just ignore them and move to the next offer for the same truck from a different dealership until you get the price you want and after too, The other thing I told them they’d have to do was include the price of my plane ticket to come pick it up when I did mske the right deal and they’d also have to pick me up from the airport. This went on for about 3 months instead of one stress filled afternoon plsying games with these clowns and once I made the deal I got the financing I wanted with the right payment and a free plane ticket with a ride from the airport for free also. It’s actually pretty fun to watch em squirm when they make some dumbass offer and you completey ignore them for about a week and all their emails over and over until they realize you’re not playing games and they start talking realistically with numbers. I saved $6,000 off sticker and got my Tacoma for $30K out the door when it was priced at 36K & change. I’d suggest ANYONE do do it this way other than wasting your time in a dealership with these morons doing the “ok lemme check with my manager BS back & forth. You’ll save money time & your blood pressure won’t skyrocket!! Just my .02 cents. Cheers!!

10. Oct 27, 2021 at 6:33 AM
    TomTuttle2019

TomTuttle2019 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    Fort Lauderdale
    Vehicle:
    '19 Black SR5 V6 Access Cab
    seat covers, cabin stuff, skid plate, Pro grille, Kimbo
    One small issue with that strategy, and perhaps you are forgetting what the economy was like then. We were at the depths of a full blown housing crash at that time, and people were losing their homes, let alone being able to buy a new vehicle. Dealers were desperate at that time to move inventory. That's not the case now. They have very little if any inventory now yet the demand is still there, so they have to get creative.

"Bud Fox, If I were in your shoes, and I thank my personal God I am not, I wouldn't be sitting around chin-wagging. Lots of six figure names in that zip code file to cold call. " - Wall Street, 1987

11. Oct 27, 2021 at 6:40 AM
    honda50r

honda50r Not a Mallcrawler

Member:
    East Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    2nd Gen Tacoma
    Not Stock
    upload_2021-10-27_9-39-36.jpg

Sure man

12. Oct 27, 2021 at 7:31 AM
    WELLSPRING

WELLSPRING Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    Asheville, NC
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Off Road DCLB
    Leer 100XR cap, Total Chaos bed stiffners, OEM PRO Intake Flow Accelerator, Bed Mat
    Two separate dealers informed me that they wanted to buy my 2020 TRD Off Road for 110% of my paid price: One was in a letter from the original dealer I bought the vehicle from, the other one was the local dealer that services the vehicle who tried to hard sell me in person while there for 15K service call. They both said they could get me anther TRD Off Road quickly if I took their deal. My reply was if you can get me another TRD Off Road right away, why do you want to buy my vehicle when you can get all of the TRD Off Road Tacomas you want, when you can?

Baloney.

No thanks.

13. Oct 27, 2021 at 8:15 AM
    Blauman

Blauman Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM DCSB 4x4 OR
    Yeah they are the ones to watch out for. They push all the extended this, extra that crap really hard. Was kind of fun when we bought my truck and the guy kept trying to sell us all this stuff and we kept declining. They get super bummed that they cannot sell you anything. Then we really dropped the bomb on him that we were paying cash for it and didnt need any financing, shut up real quick after that.

huachuca and gregzz like this.
  14. Oct 27, 2021 at 8:30 AM
    gregzz

gregzz Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    greg
    las vegas nv
    Vehicle:
    Wheels/ tires, tint, level kit. Rock crawler rails. 3- 6" procomp lights with light bar on front bumper. Magnaflow # 12256 stainless muffler. Billet shorty antenna.
    Whether or not there was a housing crash in 2012 or not my point was that you can still do it this way instead of trusting one dealership to give you the best price and be honest which isn’t usually in their vocabulary so if someone wants to get multiple offers instead of just one than they can do it the way I explained because when I buy a car which isn’t very often thank goodness I’m definitely looking for my best price but that’s just me…. Not sure who Bud fox is or dropping names in a certain zip code kind of got me confused but that’s fine. Cheers!!

15. Oct 27, 2021 at 8:33 AM
    gregzz

gregzz Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    greg
    las vegas nv
    Vehicle:
    Yeah that’s always fun too after you finally mske the deal and then you have to go in the other room and deal with that guy that wants to then add on your warranty for another $$$. I got one woukd rather sit in the dentist office all day other than buying a car. Total frustration at best.

16. Oct 27, 2021 at 8:33 AM
    Extra Hard Taco

Extra Hard Taco Survivor of the winter of misery and death.

Member:
    First Name:
    R.J.
    Clown World
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma TRD OR
    ARB Bumper, SOS sliders, rear bumper, and skid plate. OME Lift. Some other stuff.
    I like this guy.

Tacospike[QUOTED] and gregzz like this.
  17. Oct 27, 2021 at 8:37 AM
    PennSilverTaco

PennSilverTaco Encyclopedia of useless information...

Member:
    First Name:
    Charlie
    Central Bucks, Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    2010 Zombie Truck
    Even before COVID and the shortages that came with it, a dealer tried to pull that shit with me; Back in September 2018, my truck needed a new evaporator core, and I called a few different dealerships to compare prices. I left a message with the service manager at Sloane Toyota requesting a quote on replacing the evaporator core, Andes than a day later I got a call back from the sales department wanting to "put me in a new Toyota"...

:brianr:

$1,600 to replace an evaporator core in an otherwise mint 2010 Tacoma with 88K miles, or $30K+ for a new Tacoma; I think the choice is obvious!

I ended up going with Thompson Toyota...

shakerhood and gregzz like this.
  18. Oct 27, 2021 at 8:41 AM
    gregzz

gregzz Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    greg
    las vegas nv
    Vehicle:
    Sounds about right!! How much to fix my truck?? Hey!! Let’s put you in a brand new truck with another 72 months of payments, that’ll fix your issue!! lol. Ughh. Can’t stand the dealer for just another reason. Lol

19. Oct 27, 2021 at 8:49 AM
    PennSilverTaco

PennSilverTaco Encyclopedia of useless information...

Member:
    First Name:
    Charlie
    Central Bucks, Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    2010 Zombie Truck
    And despite being 12 years old with almost 140K miles, my truck is now worth about $12K; My dad paid like $15K for it BRAND NEW back in September 2009!

gregzz[QUOTED] likes this.
  20. Oct 27, 2021 at 8:53 AM
    gregzz

gregzz Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    greg
    las vegas nv
    Vehicle:
    140,000 miles is just broken in Brutha!! I’m at 98,000 on my Tacoma and I have less than ZERO intentions of EVER selling my truck. I even have a guy at my work that keeps pestering me to buy it as he drools over it constantly, I keep telling him 40K!! He asks how much did you pay and I tell him 30K back in 2012 and that usually confuses him until he bugs me again a month later. Lol

Products Discussed in

To Top