1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

WOW! The rear quarter pannels are flimsy!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by DrRabbitFurHead, Jul 5, 2009.

1. Jul 5, 2009 at 12:02 PM
    DrRabbitFurHead

DrRabbitFurHead [OP] Yeah, there's a TSB for that!

Member:
    Salem, VA
    Vehicle:
    X-treme Off Road Edition (4x4)
    Icon Extended Travel Coil Overs, Fox Rear Resi 8-Way Adjustable Shocks, Light Racing UCA's, OME Rear Leafs, M/T Classic Locks 17x9, Nitto T/G (285/70/R17), 5mm Billet Aluminum Spacers, Demello Sliders, All Pro Front Plate Bumper & IFS Skid Plate, PIAA 510's, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, O2 sims, Rear Timbren's & U-Bolt Flip Kit , 3* Rear Axel Shims, Extended Rear Brake Lines, 48" Hi-Lift with a ton of accessories, Wet Okoles, TRD bed mat, Borla Air Filter, Garmin Nuvi 765T, Viper 5901 remote start, 50% tint.
    This afternoon when I was leaving church and was walking up to the truck and noticed a rather large impression just behind the rear fender flare. It turned out to be a big 'dent' that the lighting and rain drops really made stand out. At first I thought that someone at the church just leaned up against it, but then I remembered removing my factory wheels/tires from that side of the truck a week or so ago so I'll accuse myself since I have no idea exactly how this dent got there.

When I got home I took a big aluminum mag light and reached up under the fender and was able to pop it back out and it made a really LOUD noise. It appears to be holding its original shape so far, but I was really unimpressed by how cheap and flimsy those rear quarter pannels are.

I'm sure many of you already knew this, but thought I'd share my experience with some of the newer forum members. Be careful loading and unloading things out of the bed of your truck!!!

2. Jul 5, 2009 at 12:05 PM
    sincitytaco

sincitytaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Off-Road 2wd Cement Grey
    Bilstein 6112/5160 set at notch 2/3, OEM TRD Pro Wheels, 275/70/17 Falken Wildpeaks, OEM TRD Pro Grill, Debadged, Ceramic Tinted Windows
    Yes the metal on these trucks is super thin, that is one thing the Americans make much better than the Japanese and that is sheet metal to make the body panels of their cars.

3. Jul 5, 2009 at 12:15 PM
    carmellocafe

carmellocafe Begin With The End In Mind.

Member:
    First Name:
    KEVIN
    N. California
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD OR Access cab longbed
    Yeah, I noticed a dent on top of the cab a little while back... Then I remembered that a long time ago, I loaded a bunch of furniture and it was leaning on the cab. At first, when I saw it I thought one of my pissed off clients did it while I was at work. I blame myself for it now--Helps me sleep better. lol;)
    It sure doesn't take much to put a dent in vehicles these days:eek:
    Glad to hear you were able to pop yours back out & that it was in a place where you could do that... Mine isn't:(

4. Jul 5, 2009 at 12:16 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    Helps your mileage though :lalala:

In seriousness though...the panels may be a bit thin, but I still love my Taco.

5. Jul 5, 2009 at 12:39 PM
    kilgoja

kilgoja Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2009 regular cab 4x4 2.7L (silver)
    :mudding:
    yeah they make them thin nowadays so they absorb some of the impact during a car crash....the sheet metal on my dad's 1972 chevy truck is like strong as the frame on our trucks....lol

6. Jul 5, 2009 at 1:01 PM
    sincitytaco

Member:
    Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    Bilstein 6112/5160 set at notch 2/3, OEM TRD Pro Wheels, 275/70/17 Falken Wildpeaks, OEM TRD Pro Grill, Debadged, Ceramic Tinted Windows
    they sure don't build them like they used to.

7. Jul 5, 2009 at 2:36 PM
    Capita

Capita Well-Known Member

Member:
    Corner Brook, Newfoundland, Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport Double Cab
    I agree. I hit a car this past winter. Well the car was stuck on ice and snow, I didn't know they were stuck and tried to go around them. I slid and just rubbed the car. No damage to the car. But My truck got $1900 damage over the fender and quarter pannel. Just a small dent and scratched paint. Paint seemed aweful cheap as well. I couldn't believe that tiny force can cause that much damage.

8. Jul 5, 2009 at 2:51 PM
    steviestyles

steviestyles The "Search" tab is your friend!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    07 DC 4x4 TRD Off Road
    Bone Stock
    Yeah our trucks don't have the thickest of steel. I laugh whenever i manage to catch the Tacoma commercial when the truck gets struck by the meteor and survives :laugh:

Whenever it rains hard and I'm in my truck, it sounds like someone is dropping marbles on it. Seems to be the way most car manufacturer's are going these days to save weight and improve fuel economy.

9. Jul 5, 2009 at 2:53 PM
    brian

brian Another Traitor

Member:
    Elizabeth City, NC
    Vehicle:
    2017 F-250 Powerstroke
    Again, our trucks are built to crumble, like kilgoja said, to absorb impacts and save your life. I agree, its very flimsy, even on the door panels, but it (cheap or not) serves a purpose.

10. Jul 5, 2009 at 3:02 PM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5 DC/SB V6
    Magnaflow 12576 muffler & chrome tip, Westin step bars, 27% tint, Pop N Lock, AFE ProdryS, bed mat, Husky liners, D-rings added, Access Literider tonneau, Pioneer 4-ways all around, GY Wrangler Duratracs 265/75/16, 5100's @ 1.75", 1.5" AAL
    Get used to it. The CAFE standards will make it even worse.

11. Jul 5, 2009 at 3:03 PM
    steviestyles

steviestyles The "Search" tab is your friend!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    07 DC 4x4 TRD Off Road
    Bone Stock
    Today's cars the engine will outlive the body; whereas 30 years ago it was the other way around. Agreed the flimsy body's are from lessons learned from NASCAR. The panels are meant more to give and break away, than withstanding an impact unfazed. It just sucks that a minor dent costs so much to fix. Good thing for the OP that they were able to pop the dent back out.

12. Jul 5, 2009 at 3:03 PM
    Fluffymonkey

Fluffymonkey Token

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    College Station, TX
    Vehicle:
    2013 Trd Sport DC, 07 DC sr5, 03 Prerunner
    2003: Stock 2007: Avid Offroad sliders, 30% front tint, bed mat, Truxedo low-pro qt tonneu cover, aero turbine 2525 muffler w/ 8'' tip, AR25 Resonator, 16x8 Dick Cepek DC-1 w/ 265/75 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, 2010 headlights, ome 884 coils with .5'' top plate spacer, OME sport front shocks, bilsten 5100s rear, 2'' aal, locking gas cap, LR ucas, Viper 2-way remote start, afe drop in filter, Rocky locking bike mounts, gear chest, scangauge, pop n lock tailgate lock 2013: most things transferred over from my 07, 5100s @ .85 + eibachs and Toytec tps for 3'' front lift, wheelers progressive aal w/ overload; compustar 2-way remote start; Antennex shorty antenna, pop n lock tailgate lock with programmable key, seat covers, Toyota's crappy all-weather floor mats (should have got Husky's or Weathertechs), TRD skid plate, led light pods mounted in front bumper valence w/ Eyourlife wireless harness and remote, led bed lights, light pods mounted in bed, Devil Horns emblem from Diaz Fabrications, rear facing pod lights in bed, under seat lights,
    I'm sure it makes it quite a bit lighter aiding in mpg as well as making the truck safer in the event of a crash. I f'ing hate all these parking lot door dings i've been getting lately though! It does dent really easy :mad:

13. Jul 5, 2009 at 3:26 PM
    sincitytaco

Member:
    Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    So this is the only vehicle built that is built to be safe. Getting in an accident in say a ford is not safe. To be honest I would rather get in a wreck in a big f150 than my Tacoma.

14. Jul 5, 2009 at 3:26 PM
    gjbonner

gjbonner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Guy
    Northern Idaho
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Off Road TRD
    Rhino Lined exterior,Fab Tech 6", 1.25" SpiderTrax spacers, Wheels painted Rustoleum Hammered Black, All Pro front plate bumper, Warn 9.5 ti winch, BHLM, Cig lighter constant on, Door beep toggle switch, Locker mod, Lock/unlock beeper Mod, Rear tailights smoked, 750w inverter with the outlets and on/off switch wired to rear of the console, Blacked out badges, blacked out rear bumper.
    Thats funny. I hate it when someone parks right on the white line so that you have no choice but to squeeze yourself out of your truck or worse yet you come out of the store and there is a car that has you wedged in.

I'm also the guy that parks right next to the jackass at the store that wants to straddle the white line and take up two parking spots just so he can protect his little honda accord! well since i got the Rhino anyway. Just so you know, i'm out there getting those "Close Parkers" back for ya.

15. Jul 5, 2009 at 3:39 PM
    surfsupl

surfsupl Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gregg
    WestCoast
    Vehicle:
    I DONT CARE IF IT'S A RE-POST
    Rear Diff Breather~ 5100's ~Fog Light Anytime~Tint~TRD Seat Covers~Weather Tech's~Pioneer H.U.~Lift~Eibach Springs~LED's......blah...blah...blah
    Chalk another one up for Toyota quality.....................if these trucks were any heavier they would get 15 mpg......................

16. Jul 5, 2009 at 5:15 PM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5 DC/SB V6
    Magnaflow 12576 muffler & chrome tip, Westin step bars, 27% tint, Pop N Lock, AFE ProdryS, bed mat, Husky liners, D-rings added, Access Literider tonneau, Pioneer 4-ways all around, GY Wrangler Duratracs 265/75/16, 5100's @ 1.75", 1.5" AAL
    What's wrong with Toyota quality or are you just making your usual nonsensical observations?

17. Jul 5, 2009 at 6:15 PM
    buck

buck Don't sweat the petty - pet the sweaty

Member:
    Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    15 DC V6 4x4 TRD Magnetic Gray
    High-flow coconut smiley-face air freshener.
    I had a little dent on the roof of the cab. Went out and bought one of those suction-cup dent removers at the local autoparts store. It was around $5 and it popped the dent right out with no signs that it was ever there.

Products Discussed in

To Top