1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Wrecked my 6 month old 2011 DCSB 9-23-11

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by dan0, Sep 25, 2011.

1. Sep 25, 2011 at 9:46 AM
    dan0

dan0 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    swamplands of sc
    Vehicle:
    Sold 2011 Prerunner Doublecab 4cyl auto
    On friday yokel in his $45,000 Chevy HD 3500 pickup pulling his $60,000 boat stops
    in the middle of one of the busiest intersections in town to turn left at the bank
    (probably needed money for beer on the way to the river)
    Suv in front of me slams on brakes and rear ends the boat
    I slam on brakes and rear ended the SUV
    I had just picked my daughter up from school
    She received a little minor irritation from the seatbelt but whats worse is the emotional trauma,
    poor kid cried called her mama cried some more, then cried again after we got home
    ABS kicked in thus it didnt stop

dude stopped to turn left over a traffic barrier like this
    [​IMG]
    I thought that was illegal. but the cop found me and the SUV driver at fault.
    my truck is worse than the pics look
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I hit and got stuck on his trailer hitch.
    brakes got stuck down, etc

after geting the brakes to release the pedal now makes a loud pop when you take your foot off
    anyone know what to look for to fix it?

wonder if I should get one of those heavy steel bumpers like this?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 17, 2013
  2. Sep 25, 2011 at 9:56 AM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
    ^ X2. Live and learn. Maintain a greater following distance from now on. The Taco's brakes are best in class, but the truck still weighs two tons.

Take a look at the bumper removal instructions start at page 4: Frame is probably fine. The plastic bumper cover is cosmetic and can't take any load. There's an aluminum square beam behind it for impact absorption, but its height was designed for car bumpers. Page 5 step 9 shows a slender bracket for mounting the inboard lower corner of the head light. That bracket is probably bent and is responsible for the "tweaked" look. It's about $15 online and simple to replace:
    http://www.villagetoyotaparts.com/s...y_TrimLevel=0&ukey_modelRange=0&searchString=

3. Sep 25, 2011 at 9:59 AM
    Navigator

Navigator Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    05 DC Sport 6spd
    17" American Racing Assaults on 265/70/17 Goodyear AT/S, TRD Exhaust, TRD CAI, Toyota Roof Rack, XM install with antenna out 3rd brake light, Red LED Map Lights, AUX Amber LED rocker switch for LED footwell lights, LUND Bug Screen, EXTANG Tri-Fold Tonneau, Hertz Component Speakers w/ TacoTunes Mounts, Infinity Kappa 4 amp, Image Dynamics 10" sub in TacoTunes enclosure, Pop n' Lock, Toyota Aluminum Wedge Running Boards, BHLM, Self Performed '05 Cowl Leak TSB, E-Z Cool Insulation/Sound Deadener applied to floorboard, headliner, and cab bulkhead, 896 Foglight bulbs as backup lights, Weathertechs, Pioneer Double Din, Scan Gauge, AutoSoft Remote Start, 2010 4Runner Heated/Signal/Puddle Mirrors.
    +1

4. Sep 25, 2011 at 10:00 AM
    TacoDawgfan

TacoDawgfan Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2011 Silver 4x4 TRD Sport w/JBL
    5100's at 1.75, Rear leaf TSB, Moto Metal 951 16x8, BFG TKO2 265/75/16, AFe Stage 2 CAI w/pro dry filter, Kenwood DDX374BT installed with Idatalink Maestro kit, Access Loredo tonneau cover, N-Fab steps, Tinted windows, EGR in channel vent visors, UGA drink coasters in the front cup holders, and a Graco car seat in the back seat
    X2

Sorry about the wreck man, I know I'd be sick as mine is about 6 months old also. Hope your daughter gets over it with no emotional trauma. :pray:

5. Sep 25, 2011 at 10:02 AM
    vtmactech

vtmactech Well-Known Member

Member:
    KS
    Vehicle:
    '11 Reg Cab 4cyl 4x4 MGM
    Try to use the insurance money to get a better bumper.

6. Sep 25, 2011 at 10:05 AM
    UndefinedTaco

UndefinedTaco I'll eat all your food.

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Tracy, CA
    Vehicle:
    Toyota
    It's an 89 Toyota Pickup. I got some stuff done to it.. FJ axles going under it soon.
    This
    DSCF3941_2406a6116fe850dd7f522fba2cbb12249f7e352d.jpg

plus this
    [​IMG]

plus this

[​IMG]

7. Sep 25, 2011 at 11:08 AM
    Squirrellydw

Squirrellydw Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 PreRunner TRD Sport
    I rear ended someone about 8 years ago and it wasn't my fault. The police found the lady I hit to be at fault because she stopped in the middle of the highway. This was in PA in the winter, Christmas eve

8. Sep 25, 2011 at 11:11 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    VERY rare situation-Usually only on freeway/thru-way type roads where someone comes to a complete stop in the moving lanes for no valid reason.

9. Sep 25, 2011 at 11:15 AM
    vbibi

vbibi Well-Known Member

Member:
    san fransisco bay area
    Vehicle:
    2009 4door long bed

10. Sep 25, 2011 at 11:25 AM
    worthywads

worthywads Well-Known Member

Member:
    Peoples Republic of Boulder
    Vehicle:
    05 5-lug access I4 Stick, 70 Challenger Vert
    What the police report says isn't always the last word, not that it would help here.

My wife had similar situation where she was number 2, and come to a stop, then number 3 rear ended her pushing her forward into 1.

Woman panic stopped in straight lane to try to move to left turn lane at last second. To the cops she said she only felt the one impact not 2, and that was the police report. After talking with her insurance she after the fact decided that she felt 2 impacts like my wife hit her. Now my wife is at fault due to lying accident causer.

11. Sep 25, 2011 at 12:21 PM
    wrxRome

wrxRome Houston's Swamp Rat

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Covington, LA/Friendswood,TX
    Vehicle:
    06 SWB 4x4 trd off road
    EXACTLY what happened to me at a red light, i was 2 and got rear ended and pushed into one, tow truck drivers in the parking lot next to the light saw the whole thing, (and the girl that hit me was drunk) so there was no question about it.

car.jpg
    car1.jpg

12. Sep 25, 2011 at 1:12 PM
    zul

zul Professional Goofball

Member:
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    2012 Pyrite Mica DCSB SR5 4WD V6 AT
    HAVE: Bed mat, Tailgate Lock, Color-matched Grille, Weathertech Floor Liners, Avid Step Rails, RokBlokz mud flaps WANT: Rear Plate Bumper, Steel bed cage
    I was rear-ended one week ago. Thankfully it was just a tap - the dumb driver behind me wasnt paying attention at the stop light we were at, and for no reason at all just decided to give it gas when the light was still red. Barely any damage on my car, but when I got out to exchange information (which is the LAW in Oregon) she was EXTREMELY hostile to me and, among other things, claimed I BACKED into her. I had to call the cops just to get her to exchange info with me.

Now I am having to jump through hoops with my insurance just to get it as a no-fault accident. Which is complete bullshit, seeing as I was just minding my own damn business when some crazy lady bangs into me, and then for no other reason than to avoid looking like an idiot tries to pawn it off on me. AARRGGG people piss me off so bad sometimes. I dont know how she sleeps at night being such a scum-eating lying pile of shit. You can tell I'm still a bit peeved over this...

13. Sep 25, 2011 at 1:30 PM
    Squirrellydw

Squirrellydw Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 PreRunner TRD Sport
    should have taken it to the dealer to see if it has a black box thingy to prove you didn't put it in reverse.

14. Sep 25, 2011 at 1:48 PM
    AndrewFalk

AndrewFalk Science!

Member:
    The North East
    Vehicle:
    2010 5 speed 5 lug
    :)
    A few years ago, I was following my friend on a two lane road. The lady in front of him decided to slam on the brakes to make an illegal left across the road (double yellow line, partial concrete median). My friend stopped just short of her, I couldn't stop in time and rear ended my friend, then some guy rear ended me. Cops said everything was my fault...if her car had been hit, they said she would have been to blame. The drivers of all 3 cars involved (myself, my friend, and the guy behind me) all agreed that she was 100% at fault because she was making an illegal turn and stopped way too fast. But the law didn't see it that way.

15. Sep 25, 2011 at 3:04 PM
    rbishopp

rbishopp Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Webster, NY
    Vehicle:
    2009 4WD Reg cab Taco. Keepin it simple.
    So far I've added an Advance folding bed cover and since removed it. Gave it to my son in Maine, he has an 05 2wd. GT perfect fit seat covers. Weathertech floor mats and window vent visors. Waag center brush/grill guard. Hose clamp tailgate mod. Turned off the seat belt chime. Added Ultra-Gauge. Trailer hitch. Softopper. Replaced sun visors with slide out style. Toyota bed extender. Had Firestone Destinations and now Michelin LTX AT2 in stock size. More mods to come; Fog lights, locking storage in bed, intermittent wipers. Now looking for Radio/HU upgrade. and maybe a lift way down the road.
    I would be concerned that the frame was tweaked. Since the gas filler cover won't close right. I'd have it checked over by a dealer if they have a body shop or some shop that specializes in frames. We have a few in our area. Bumper wise I like that rear bumper someone posted with the tow hooks. I'm more concerned with getting hit from the rear. I have rear ended a two people though. I received minimal damage both times and their cars were pretty messed up. First time with a half ton GMC and second with Dakota.
    :cookiemonster:

16. Sep 25, 2011 at 3:34 PM
    oneup

oneup Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    ray
    downey
    Vehicle:
    06 mob out pre runner WHT
    jba headers trd air box king coil overs snug top blk out american racing wheels
    you guys will like this, i live in so cal near long beach. I had just left king taco heading down long beach blvd. that in compton (the hood)right in front of the compton fashion center hookers gather on the sidewalks. this brand new pearl white caddy rear ends me ,while im sitting at the light.we pull over, this had to be a pimpass gangester.he had gold and diamonds onand he was a big mo- fu all tattooed down. i asked what happened man, he started to say paused..... and i was said you were checking out those hooker hon....... he was like yeah you know.his front bumper must got jacked up ,i had that 2x2 soild chunk of steel that hold 3/4"clevis that stuck out of the hitch point.. nothing happened to my truck thank god because i really didnt want to try to deal with this guy in the ghetto.....

17. Sep 25, 2011 at 3:45 PM
    JimBeam

JimBeam BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    Glad you and your daughter werent hurt

Those who said that you were found at fault due to following distance etc are correct

In SC you can be found at fault of a rear end collision regardless of what the car in front of you was doing because you should at all times be able to stop your vehicle at all times...People are regularly cited for Too Fast For Conditions or Following Too Closely

Conditions do not necessarily apply solely to weather, but all roadway conditions including traffic

Does it suck? sure, but it is what it is

With that being said, ABS is not designed to assist in stopping your vehicle quicker, but rather it allows you to be able to steer during an emergency braking situation

Basically, with an older vehicle without ABS (such as my truck) if you locked up your brakes and tried to steer, you're going to continue to slide forward...with ABS, you can steer the vehicle while the brakes are locked up

They should not be counted on to stop the vehicle quickly, but to provide you with more vehicle control when in an emergency braking situation

18. Sep 25, 2011 at 4:55 PM
    Ivan

Ivan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ivan
    Western Mass
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma, 4x4 + SR5
    Yeah well this is bogus, my mom just had a car drive onto her lane at a supermarket and hit her head on, a town sheriff saw it and told the lady that hit my car that she was at fault, yet my mom still has to deal with all the bs of dealing with insurance companies!

19. Sep 25, 2011 at 4:57 PM
    Tigahshark

Tigahshark Senior NEWBIE

Member:
    First Name:
    Isaac
    On a volcano, literally!
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD off road 4X4
    Tint Weathertech floor liner, weathertech window visor Roll n lock tonneau cover Rubber bed mat Smoked license plate covers
    Man that sucks getting into ANY wreck and i can imagine how traumatised your baby must of been. Good thing no one was hurt or killed and yeah, X2 on that bumper!

20. Sep 25, 2011 at 5:01 PM
    ouyin2000

ouyin2000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    '11 DCSB TRD Sport
    Leer 100XL Canopy, OEM Side steps, TRD Oil Cap, TRD License Plate Cover, WeatherTech Digital Fit Liners, Elite O/R Hitch Shackle, Katzkin Leather Interior, LED Interior Lighting, Foglight Anytime mod, Illuminated 4x4 switch, Grom Audio Aux adapter, Redline Goods leather shift boot console cover and door handle pulls, Sockmonkey bedside decals, Dynolock electric tailgate lock
    What?

Products Discussed in

To Top