1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

WTB - 05-08 Outside Temp Sensor

Discussion in '2nd Gen Tacoma Parts Marketplace (2005-2015)' started by Redhed, Dec 28, 2011.

1. Dec 28, 2011 at 2:14 PM
    Redhed

Redhed [OP] Motorboatin' SOB

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Vehicle:
    06 Prerunner BSP
    Polk Audio components, Rammat sound deadening & Ensolite, blacked out emblems, color matched grill, rhinolined rear bumper, shorty antenna, nerf bars, black Toyota trail edition rims, Sockmonkey vinyl, retrofit overhead temp/compass, JDM Altezza tailights, JDM Black Crystal headlights, Hella Black Magic driving lights, 20" dual row LED light bar.
    Looking to buy the temperature sensor, sending unit, that plugs into the harness at the radiator. Should be from an 05-08 model. I have the overhead consol with the temp gauge readout, but I need the sensor / sending unit. If anyone has one, please PM me. Or if anyone knows where to get one other than the stealership, I'd appreiate the help. Thanks.

Looks like this (not mine) I "borrowed" the pic from another member.
    [​IMG]

2. Dec 28, 2011 at 8:53 PM
    Redhed

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Vehicle:
    06 Prerunner BSP
    Polk Audio components, Rammat sound deadening & Ensolite, blacked out emblems, color matched grill, rhinolined rear bumper, shorty antenna, nerf bars, black Toyota trail edition rims, Sockmonkey vinyl, retrofit overhead temp/compass, JDM Altezza tailights, JDM Black Crystal headlights, Hella Black Magic driving lights, 20" dual row LED light bar.
    Bump?

3. Dec 28, 2011 at 9:02 PM
    snowgod06

snowgod06 UG legend wannabe

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    A farm field, OREGON
    Vehicle:
    06 Access Cab CLONE
    crap bolted and welded together....
  4. Dec 29, 2011 at 5:35 AM
    nammer

nammer Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nam
    Bradenton, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2006 DCSB
    Relentless Aluminum Front Bumper Maxtrac Spindle Lift and 3'' Spacer Allpro Standard leaf and 2'' block
    are these just plug and play? is all we need the overhead part and this sensor?

5. Dec 29, 2011 at 7:49 AM
    Redhed

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Vehicle:
    06 Prerunner BSP
  6. Dec 29, 2011 at 7:53 AM
    Redhed

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Vehicle:
    06 Prerunner BSP
    According to everything I've seen, you have to make sure your model is set up with the female connector tucked up next to your radiator, (if you lay on your back it's easier to find. I had to remove my skid plate as well). The sensor plugs in there. if you have only the sunglass / garage door bin in your overhead currently, there should be a harness to plug in the overhead temp option. (NOTE: I said should be.) Mine is an 06 Prerunner, but I'm not sure if that matters. There's some writeups on the mod in here if you search for overhead temp upgrade. :)

7. Dec 29, 2011 at 8:30 AM
    snowgod06

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    A farm field, OREGON
    Vehicle:
    06 Access Cab CLONE
    no worries man. I just googled it, becuase i couldnt find my link. I found it another place for a few bucks less but 17 is a good deal. Hope it works if you go that route.

8. Dec 29, 2011 at 8:33 AM
    Redhed

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Vehicle:
    06 Prerunner BSP
    Yeah, I did a lazy Google as well but I wasn't sure the part number or what exactly it was called, so all I got was crap. Also I wasn't sure if the sensor needed to be "synced" with the readout or not. Looks like it's just plug and play though. Thanks again.

9. Dec 29, 2011 at 8:36 AM
    nammer

nammer Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nam
    Bradenton, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2006 DCSB
    Relentless Aluminum Front Bumper Maxtrac Spindle Lift and 3'' Spacer Allpro Standard leaf and 2'' block
    hey, thanks so much for the info, i'm gonna look into that, I think it might be my next mod, have a great holiday!

10. Dec 29, 2011 at 8:37 AM
    nammer

nammer Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nam
    Bradenton, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2006 DCSB
    mine is a 2006 prerunner too, so i'm hoping for the same harnesses :)

11. Dec 29, 2011 at 8:52 AM
    Toyota Tech31

Toyota Tech31 Sometimes when I close my eyes, I can't see.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Debary, Florida
    Vehicle:
    '08 SWB Bad ass SPORT
    Air Raid air intake, 40 Series Flowmaster Muffler, Front Turn Signals Now Turn And Park, KENWOOD HEAD UNIT W/ ALL KENWOOD SPEAKER UPGRADES AND 2-10" KENWOOD SUBS BEHIND BACK SEAT, Bilstein 5125'S In Rear W/ 1.5 AAL'S, Bilstein 5100 W/ Eibachs Up Front, LR Upper control arms, NFAB steps, Bruteforce Fab Hybrid front bumper, LP10000 SuperWinch, 2 Rigid Industries SRM-2's, OKLedlightbars 6 CREE LED lights as fogs, AVID RBG, 2 4" red ring HIDs mounted behind the grille.
    They are just plug and play, no syncing or anything like that needed. And as for location of sensor/harness, if you pop your hood and look down right behind the grill, follow that support bar, you should see the sensor and if not equiped, you should see the pigtail for the connector.

12. Dec 29, 2011 at 9:03 AM
    Redhed

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Vehicle:
    06 Prerunner BSP
    Thanks Jason. I just PM'ed you too. I went ahead and ordered one from Rockauto.

Thanks. :cool:

13. Dec 29, 2011 at 9:05 AM
    Redhed

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Vehicle:
    06 Prerunner BSP
    It should be there. The hard part is finding an overhead with the temp gauge, in the right color. I got lucky and bought one off a member, but it's grey and mines tan. So I'm going to do some swapping and minor paint work. Unless you already have one, I recommend checking into local salvage yards. Just remember you're looking for an 05-08 because I'm told they're different after 08. Good luck, and happy New Year to you too.

14. Dec 29, 2011 at 4:03 PM
    Sideways

Sideways Well-Known Member

Member:
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD dbl cab
    The overhead console with temp and compass is only available from Toyota in grey.
    While all of the temp/compass consoles look identical there is a difference how the 05-08's work vs how the 09's and up work.

They will not interchange either.

15. Dec 30, 2011 at 1:24 PM
    Redhed

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Vehicle:
    06 Prerunner BSP
    Thanks Sideways, good to know.

16. Dec 30, 2011 at 1:38 PM
    snowgod06

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    A farm field, OREGON
    Vehicle:
    06 Access Cab CLONE
    I've seen tan.. :cool:

17. Dec 30, 2011 at 1:46 PM
    Redhed

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Vehicle:
    06 Prerunner BSP
    :duel:

:popcorn:

18. Dec 30, 2011 at 1:46 PM
    Toyota Tech31

Toyota Tech31 Sometimes when I close my eyes, I can't see.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Debary, Florida
    Vehicle:
    '08 SWB Bad ass SPORT
    Air Raid air intake, 40 Series Flowmaster Muffler, Front Turn Signals Now Turn And Park, KENWOOD HEAD UNIT W/ ALL KENWOOD SPEAKER UPGRADES AND 2-10" KENWOOD SUBS BEHIND BACK SEAT, Bilstein 5125'S In Rear W/ 1.5 AAL'S, Bilstein 5100 W/ Eibachs Up Front, LR Upper control arms, NFAB steps, Bruteforce Fab Hybrid front bumper, LP10000 SuperWinch, 2 Rigid Industries SRM-2's, OKLedlightbars 6 CREE LED lights as fogs, AVID RBG, 2 4" red ring HIDs mounted behind the grille.
    I was thinking the same thing, toyota wouldnt put a gray one in a truck with a tan interior.

And just to add onto a previous statement, the 2009 & up wont work because toyota added a a/c amplifier to the system which reads the inputs and transmitts the info the the overhead display, previous to that the overhead display actually read the inputs.

To Top