1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

WTB: Diff Drop Kit

Discussion in '1st Gen Tacoma Marketplace (1995-2004)' started by Tacomadude89, Aug 28, 2011.

1. Aug 28, 2011 at 4:17 PM
    Tacomadude89

Tacomadude89 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Austen
    California
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tacoma TRD SR5, 3.4, 5spd
    -Bilstein 5100 Series shocks on all 4 corners -Rancho HD lift coils -1/4" Toytec driverside top plate spacer -Toytec 1" diff drop -Wheelers 1.5" AAL's -Toytec 1" lift shackles -Revtek extended length BPV bracket -285/75/16 BFG KO T/A's -Pro Comp rims -ET Conical tyle lug nuts -Spidertrax 1.5" wheel Spacers -CV Boot slide mod -TRD skid plate -Magnaflow 14" round muffler -Shortened tailpipe hidden behind framerail -Toyota bug deflector -Weathertech floormats -Black leather seat covers -Valentine 1 Radar Detector
    Looking to buy a complete diff drop kit for a first gen Tacoma.

Let me know if you've got one! Thanks!

2. Aug 29, 2011 at 7:49 AM
    OmahaStylee

OmahaStylee Beating Anorexia since 1976

Member:
    Omaha, NE
    Vehicle:
    01 DC TRD
    FRONT: Toytec CO's & diff drop BACK: AllPro standard leaf kit with Bilsteins and axle shims
    I got mine new for $30

>link<

3. Aug 29, 2011 at 4:27 PM
    Tacomadude89

Tacomadude89 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Austen
    California
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tacoma TRD SR5, 3.4, 5spd
    -Bilstein 5100 Series shocks on all 4 corners -Rancho HD lift coils -1/4" Toytec driverside top plate spacer -Toytec 1" diff drop -Wheelers 1.5" AAL's -Toytec 1" lift shackles -Revtek extended length BPV bracket -285/75/16 BFG KO T/A's -Pro Comp rims -ET Conical tyle lug nuts -Spidertrax 1.5" wheel Spacers -CV Boot slide mod -TRD skid plate -Magnaflow 14" round muffler -Shortened tailpipe hidden behind framerail -Toyota bug deflector -Weathertech floormats -Black leather seat covers -Valentine 1 Radar Detector
    Thanks,

Yeah, ended up just ordering that same exact one last night.

How was the install? Did the skids go back on fairly easily?

4. Aug 30, 2011 at 9:54 AM
    OmahaStylee

Member:
    Omaha, NE
    Vehicle:
    01 DC TRD
    FRONT: Toytec CO's & diff drop BACK: AllPro standard leaf kit with Bilsteins and axle shims
    I literally just sat down at the computer to find this after re-installing my skid plates...

They're on, although it took some time.
    First off - the ONLY time I have ever taken my skid plates off was for the diff drop kit install which was done about 3 months ago,
    and I just now got around to re-installing them because I'm headed out on a road trip to Colorado tomorrow morning.

I started with the front 3 bolts (the middle one first because it's the longest) and worked my way back.

2 things that I noticed:
    1.) The holes toward the back of the front main skid plate and the two on the secondary skid plate didn't want to line up exactly, but I was able to coax the bolts in - hopefully without ruining the threads.
    2.) speaking of threads, the diff drop kit comes with two new longer replacement bolts paired up with a block spacer & 2 washers for each bolt.
    These go in the main (front) skid plate, it'll become obvious when you see it. The heads on my replacement bolts were 13mm, which is a little bit of a nuisance because all the other bolt heads are 12mm. The threads on the two replacement bolts I received did not play nice with the holes in which they belong. I pulled one of them & compared side by side to one of the factory bolts - the threads seem to line up exactly, the only difference being that the factory bolt threads are much shorter & round while the threads on the new bolts are more pointy & a bit taller when viewed from a side profile.
    I only got the replacement bolts in about 5 turns.
    Good enough to hold in place (extremely tight) until I can find something different.

5. Aug 30, 2011 at 9:56 AM
    OmahaStylee

Member:
    Omaha, NE
    Vehicle:
    01 DC TRD
    Oh, intall... I didn't do it.

I had a torn CV boot, so while my mechanic was installing new CV shaft I had him put in my TOYTEC coil overs, diff drop kit and power steering rack bushing kit.

To Top