1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

WTB: Mig welder!

Discussion in 'Buy / Sell / Trade - Other' started by SurfInferno, Jan 4, 2011.

1. Jan 4, 2011 at 2:03 PM
    SurfInferno

SurfInferno [OP] Dont be stupid, its not smart.

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Vehicle:
    2015 trd offroad
    Looking to buy a Lincoln 125HD or equivalent, anything that can weld about 1/4in metal.

2. Jan 4, 2011 at 2:08 PM
    mjp2

mjp2 Living vicariously though myself Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Milton Juevos Portimous II
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    '06 TRD Access Cab, v6, 6-speed
    Scaffolding and a painted grill
    You're gonna have a tough time welding 1/4" in a single pass with any 110v welder. Avoid the big box store version of this welder as it has different innards than if you were to buy from a welding supply house.

If you're set on 110v, look into the Hobart Handler 140. Nice box, and comes with the regulator and is ready for gas shielding when you're ready to buy a tank.

3. Jan 4, 2011 at 3:40 PM
    SurfInferno

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Vehicle:
    2015 trd offroad
    sweet thank you for the info, im still just getting into it and not really sure as to what to watch out for.

4. Jan 8, 2011 at 6:50 AM
    2009 taco

2009 taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    juan
    lompton, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 sport
    jba headers, outlaw flowmaster, 3 inch pipes, k and n cold air intake, throttle body spacer, halo headlights, HIDs, deaver springs, kings all the way round, Built right UCAs, camburg spindles, Satoshi bumper and main grill, sliders
    I have a new lincoln. The the one that had the nascar logo. I only used it to do my exhaust system.

5. Jan 8, 2011 at 7:19 AM
    0wrx2

0wrx2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    north nj / upstate ny
    Vehicle:
    '10 trd sport 4x4. dbl cab. shrt bed.
    like someone else said, a 110v mig is going to have a tough time with 1/4 inch material. it can do it but its going to take a few passes.

ive had almost identical 110v welders, one from lowes and one from home depot that was given to me, both lincolns. the two were made so different inside. the lowes welder had much much better insides and components.

oh and the home depot welder was given to me because it broke... take it for what its worth. thats my .02

6. Jan 8, 2011 at 7:32 AM
    Jason'sLawnCare

Jason'sLawnCare Prepared for Bambi

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Jacksonville Florida
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 Double Cab TRD Rugged Trail
    CBI Moab 2.0, CBI Trail Rider 2.0, CBI sliders w/kickout, Superwinch EPi9.0S, OME sport shocks w/886 coils, OME n182, 1.5" aal, JasonBuilt 3/16th full belly skid, BuiltRight uca, Body Mount Chop, 285/75/16 km2's, Rear cat delete, exhaust crossover rerouted, Fog light anytime, Locker mod, Rear leaf tsb, Debadged, Uws Tool Box, Electric Exhaust Cutout, AFE Pro Dry S, Kiwi Wifi, Diff Breather Relocated, Grom Ipod Adapter, Dual Diehard platinum batteries isolated by BlueSea marine switch
    AFAIK the rule of thumb is to get a machine 1 step up from the one you think you need. I just invested in a Hobart 187 and can't be happier. From all the research I had done it seemed to be a quality machine with the best bang for the buck. It shares many of the parts its Miller counter part has.

I had never welded before in my life and with just a few minutes of practice the welds seemed pretty darn strong, of course ugly but still strong.

For $25 this dvd is a great investment. It shows up close and correctly exposed video of what's going on in the puddle. It's a great head start. You may even want to buy it before you get the welder so it gives you a really good idea of what you are getting into and what equipment is required for what you want to achieve.
    http://www.weldingvideos.com/gmaw.html

7. Jan 8, 2011 at 7:57 AM
    Mod

Mod Well-Known Member

Member:
    CR, WA
    Vehicle:
    1999 8 port 3RZ 4WD SR5
    stock
  8. Jan 8, 2011 at 9:59 AM
    SurfInferno

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Vehicle:
    2015 trd offroad
    im not going to be welding 1/4in metal very often if ever, and i dont have a ton of money thats why i wanted to go with something cheaper, just to get the practice and have it when i need it. But i do see why it would be better to go bigger.

9. Jan 8, 2011 at 1:18 PM
    Jason'sLawnCare

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Jacksonville Florida
    Vehicle:
    CBI Moab 2.0, CBI Trail Rider 2.0, CBI sliders w/kickout, Superwinch EPi9.0S, OME sport shocks w/886 coils, OME n182, 1.5" aal, JasonBuilt 3/16th full belly skid, BuiltRight uca, Body Mount Chop, 285/75/16 km2's, Rear cat delete, exhaust crossover rerouted, Fog light anytime, Locker mod, Rear leaf tsb, Debadged, Uws Tool Box, Electric Exhaust Cutout, AFE Pro Dry S, Kiwi Wifi, Diff Breather Relocated, Grom Ipod Adapter, Dual Diehard platinum batteries isolated by BlueSea marine switch
    maybe check craigslist. Tons of people get them and never use them so there are hardly used machines there.

10. Jan 16, 2011 at 3:08 PM
    kcrob1

kcrob1 Choot It!

Member:
    First Name:
    Casey
    Montgomery, TX
    Vehicle:
    TRD SPORT CC/LB
    Adjustable Billies, Debadged, Painted emblem on grille Kenwood Double din, polk components, co-ax, polk 8" sub & polk amp, TSB springs, 6000K hids, FJ Wheels
    Won't do you any good but I have a miller 250 mig welder with a broken spool gun, but have all the pieces it needs to be fixed. I'm trying to dump it for $1000.00. Welder is in perfect shape.

11. Jan 16, 2011 at 3:44 PM
    Jason'sLawnCare

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Jacksonville Florida
    Vehicle:
To Top