1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

WTB: Roof Rack

Discussion in '1st Gen Tacoma Marketplace' started by 03IRPTacomaDC, Sep 4, 2012.

1. Sep 4, 2012 at 6:01 PM
    03IRPTacomaDC

03IRPTacomaDC [OP] Member

Member:
    RI
    Vehicle:
    03 Double Cab
    Hello,

I'm looking for an OEM Roof Rack, but would consider others.

I have a Double Cab.

Thanks!

2. Sep 6, 2012 at 8:39 AM
    digitalferg

digitalferg Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorTah
    Vehicle:
    02 TRD DC Prerunner 4x4
    I've got the OEM roof rack on my 2002 DoubleCab. I like it just fine, but I'm not against parting with it for some $$...

I have no idea how hard they are to take on and off and how much work it'd take to install on another truck that didn't have it originally.... I am familiar with 1st gen Nissan Frontiers and their roofs and racks, and there was extra supports built into the interior roofs on them, but folks have added the racks on them no problem. I'm thinking it'd be about the same but I'd need to research it a bit--I'm sure there's some info out there somewhere.

I'm more concerned with the holes mine would have left in the roof after being removed....but I'm sure they could be patched up.

Not sure what its worth really either...haven't looked into it....but to have to patch holes up nicely after being removed, I personally would need a decent amount of $$ to even want to do it. Like around $500 or so.

Anyway....there's some thoughts from me on it... lol

3. Sep 6, 2012 at 5:54 PM
    EL TACOROJO

EL TACOROJO SNAPPIN NECKS AND CASHIN CHECKS.

Member:
    First Name:
    BURRY
    south mills NORCAR
    Vehicle:
    03 dblcab prerunner sr5 v6
    smoked taillights,smoked front turnsignals,smoked 3rd brake light,black badges,black roof rack,removed mud flaps,debadged, camburg 2.5 coilovers,camburg uca's, cobra 25 cb, 4ft firestick ant, dust light/bed lights , 4 hellas on the front
    If you dont have the factory installed holes and such its not worth it. Its 8 bolts that mount it to the roof

4. Sep 6, 2012 at 5:57 PM
    EL TACOROJO

Member:
    First Name:
    BURRY
    south mills NORCAR
    Vehicle:
    smoked taillights,smoked front turnsignals,smoked 3rd brake light,black badges,black roof rack,removed mud flaps,debadged, camburg 2.5 coilovers,camburg uca's, cobra 25 cb, 4ft firestick ant, dust light/bed lights , 4 hellas on the front
    It would be cheaper to go aftermarket

5. Sep 7, 2012 at 5:39 PM
    03IRPTacomaDC

Member:
    RI
    Vehicle:
    03 Double Cab
    I would like to see the instructions on how to install this. What is really needed and if mine didn't come with a factory roof rack is there something in the roof i would need too?

I don't know if it would be worth it to remove it for the sake of selling it. it would be expensive to have the holes welded/bondo and painted.

6. Sep 7, 2012 at 6:03 PM
    EL TACOROJO

Member:
    First Name:
    BURRY
    south mills NORCAR
    Vehicle:
    from custom tacos
    Re: OEM double cab roof rack
    The OEM Double Cab roof rack was installed at the factory. The Double Cabs ordered with the rack were 'special', because an additional reinforcement / rib was added to the roof specifically to help with the rack.

After a year or so Toyota decided it wasn't worth the trouble and discontinued the factory rack. Not enough buyers were ordering them to justify the hassle of the special body work for so few trucks on the assembly line.

According to reports, Toyota never permitted the OEM rack supplier (whose name I forget) to offer the same racks as separate / aftermarket items.

This is why the factory roof racks are rare.

It's never been clear if there's a problem with installing a factory rack on a DC that didn't have the special rib / reinforcement in the roof.

Bottom Line: Unless you're patient enough to wait for one to show up at a recycler / eBay / CraigsList / whatever, you may as well give up and go with an aftermarket rack.

7. Sep 7, 2012 at 6:04 PM
    EL TACOROJO

Member:
    First Name:
    BURRY
    south mills NORCAR
    Vehicle:
  8. Sep 7, 2012 at 6:12 PM
    digitalferg

digitalferg Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorTah
    Vehicle:
    02 TRD DC Prerunner 4x4
  9. Sep 7, 2012 at 6:24 PM
    DWreck

DWreck Famous Fabrication Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Debadged, k&n cai, tc uca, billy 5100, led hood lights, redline hood struts, tailgate ez-down, ddm hid heads, Piaa 510 hid fogs, procomp 7089, dunlop fierce mt, cb and ham radios, hideaway strobes, ff front bumper, ff sliders, bed rack,
    I've seen one near my shop in Vegas. I could always stop by and ask if he is willing to part with it.......just give me the word!

10. Dec 27, 2012 at 10:18 PM
    oso

oso Well-Known Member

Member:
    frisco texas
    Vehicle:
    08 taco dc
    leather,satoshi and more to come
    I know this is an old thread but im looking for a OEM roof rack for my 04 double cab, and i know that there is a whole bunch of aftermarket out there but i like how the OEM looks, I have a body shop that can install it and do the necessary adjustments to it to make it work so that is covered , but what is not covered is the $$$$ they want for a OEM one, so with that said if anyone is or know someone that is selling please let me know thanks in advance

11. Dec 28, 2012 at 4:09 AM
    EL TACOROJO

Member:
    First Name:
    BURRY
    south mills NORCAR
    Vehicle:
    Look at the above link posted has all the parts listed

12. Dec 28, 2012 at 3:32 PM
    03IRPTacomaDC

Member:
    RI
    Vehicle:
    03 Double Cab
    how did i miss that link? still hoping to find one, but not for 1500!!!

To Top