1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

WTB Tires for a Pre-Runner

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by gozar, Nov 18, 2009.

1. gozar

gozar [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD Off-Road 6 speed manual
    I found a set of 17" FJ Cruiser Steelies for my '07 pre-runner!

So.... what tires should I get?

07 Pre-Runner Off-Road.
    :: No plans to lift it
    :: Most driving (sadly) in town :(
    :: Once in a while - dirt and a little off-road. Have only used my locker 2 times! (I work too much...)

My most extreme uses are getting to trailheads for hiking and biking. Example: driving up to Roger's Trough in the Superstitions. Although, I would like to come out once in a while with the other AZ dirtheads on here to see what can be done with a stock pre-runner!

Truthfully, the Rugged Trail TA's that came stock with it fit my needs pretty well.

Edit... what size should I get?

Any suggestions?

2. jhodge83

jhodge83 Any dog under 50# is a cat and cats are useless... Staff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Moncks Corner, SC
    Vehicle:
    09 Timberland Mica DC 4WD Sport
    wat?
    the biggest size unlifted is a 265/70/17. terra grapplers come in that size as well as BFG AT's i believe...cant go wrong w/ either

3. gozar

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Hadn't thought about the Terra Grapplers... they cost less than the BFG TA's, and seem pretty good.

4. gozar

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Thinking about this... I know it's hard to go wrong with the BFG TA's - but they are pretty spendy.

So ::
    What do you guys think would be the "Best Bang for the Buck" considering that my usage isn't that extreme?

Or, is this a "You get what you pay for" situation?

5. Jon4x4

Jon4x4 I said MEOW!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan (Jon)
    Daytona bruh
    Vehicle:
    2005 pink taco
    Billies, toy tec springs and camburg UCAs, and of course the heavy right foot mod
    my friend has 285/70/17 on his stock tacoma and only has a little rubbing when sharp turns.

6. jhodge83

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Moncks Corner, SC
    Vehicle:
    wat?

285/75/16's slightly rub on mine w/ a 3" lift, new UCA's, and backspaced rims....

7. johnw

johnw Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    john
    orlando florida
    Vehicle:
    06 prerunner v-6 4.0L 4 door
    well you asked for specs..... 06 trd sport speedway blue V-6 4.0 camburg lift spindles extended travel icons total chaos lowers allpro 4" leaf pack 17" xd hoss rims 305/65/17 mickey thompson baja atz Allpro hybrid bumper with 3 kragen HID lights color matched headlights grill craft grill AFE stage 3 CAI wicked flow muffler under cover bed cap inside i have..... wet okole real tree camo seat cover blue oznium dome light stealth sub box with 2 10" kicker comp subs kicker 400 watt amp weathertech floor mats
    yah you know me and you have gone over this. no lift. 285/70/17 stock sport rims trd sport prerunner.

8. jhodge83

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Moncks Corner, SC
    Vehicle:
    wat?

yeah..and i'll believe that like the guy that did the v8 swap on his

look at the pic u posted...there's like 2" between the back of the front fender and the tire. unless the entire fender has been gutted, there's more than a slight rub. thats not mentioning the rub on the UCA since there on stockers and no spacers/new uca's
    [​IMG]

9. johnw

johnw Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    john
    orlando florida
    Vehicle:
    well you asked for specs..... 06 trd sport speedway blue V-6 4.0 camburg lift spindles extended travel icons total chaos lowers allpro 4" leaf pack 17" xd hoss rims 305/65/17 mickey thompson baja atz Allpro hybrid bumper with 3 kragen HID lights color matched headlights grill craft grill AFE stage 3 CAI wicked flow muffler under cover bed cap inside i have..... wet okole real tree camo seat cover blue oznium dome light stealth sub box with 2 10" kicker comp subs kicker 400 watt amp weathertech floor mats
    nothing has been gutted at all only rub that i experience is on the uca at full turns i dont do fulll turns. also those tires sucks but were 285/70/17 dualer revo a/t now i have the nito terra grapplers.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. jhodge83

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Moncks Corner, SC
    Vehicle:
    wat?
    i'm quite sure they're on there, but there's no way it's a ' little rub on turns"...there was a guy on here that put 35's on a 3" lifted 1st gen...rubbed to hell too...but he could be the guy that said he did it. the second pic u posted looks like the back of the front fender is touching the tire, the front is like 2" away, and its pointed completely straight

11. johnw

johnw Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    john
    orlando florida
    Vehicle:
    no sir the back is not touching i wish i had a straighter picture to show you but i promise you it only rubs uca's

12. gozar

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    What is a UCA?

13. johnw

johnw Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    john
    orlando florida
    Vehicle:
    Upper Control Arm.

14. johnw

johnw Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    john
    orlando florida
    Vehicle:
    Oh and sorry for the thread jack.

15. jhodge83

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Moncks Corner, SC
    Vehicle:
    wat?
    my 285's rubbed the back of the fender til trimmed and still rub the body mount. the only reason it didnt rub the front is b/c of the AP bumper...

16. johnw

johnw Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    john
    orlando florida
    Vehicle:
    I dont know what to tell you. i dont rub my cab mounts at all. i guess i just got a beast from the factory

17. jhodge83

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Moncks Corner, SC
    Vehicle:
    wat?

yeah, thats it....my 07 DC prerunner sport and my 09 DC 4x4 sport have been exactly the same. just like urs...and everyone elses that rubs after 33's on a 3"

18. gozar

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    No worries... but it has gone astray, from talking tires to guys talking about rubbing. :eek: (just kidding - really no worries, it's entertaining.)

19. johnw

johnw Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    john
    orlando florida
    Vehicle:
    well you know what? obviously you dont believe so i will quit wasting my time i have no lift, i run the 285/70/17 on stock rims i got a prerunner sport i have shown you pictures obviously you still dont believe me. not much more i can say maybe my truck is different obviously it is because i got those tires with no lift. so thats all i gotta say.

To Top