1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

WTF?!? (alignment)

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by colinb17, Jan 17, 2010.

1. Jan 17, 2010 at 6:28 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    That is bullshit- if they use the same system the Firestone I went to does.

The sensors clip on the rims and the adjustments are all done the same way. They can measure ride height- but it's not required to align the truck. If they can get the truck into stock spec numbers- Then it'll work.

2. Jan 17, 2010 at 6:35 PM
    colinb17

colinb17 [OP] If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Build thread in sig...

that's good to know...

i gues that my last question is why, if my tires look like this \ / would it say that the camber is good?:confused:

3. Jan 17, 2010 at 6:38 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    I would say no- Camber should be 0 which is more like | | than \ / I think.

But I'm not sure....

4. Jan 17, 2010 at 6:42 PM
    colinb17

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Build thread in sig...

the printout says that i'm at .9 and .7 for the camber. would i really be able to see that fraction of a degree?

thanks for all of your help by the way

5. Jan 17, 2010 at 6:44 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    Fraction of degrees isn't much- but they should look pretty much | | I think.

And you are welcome.

6. Jan 17, 2010 at 6:45 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.

Correct. Camber should be closer to 0*. Though the .7* or .9* is "In SPec", the closer to 0* the better.

7. Jan 17, 2010 at 6:51 PM
    misterquad

misterquad Well-Known Member

Member:
    Shawnee, KS
    After my 3" Toytec lift, nobody but the dealership would touch it. The dealership got every number in proper range except the SAI, steering angle of inclination. And I am using stock UCAs.

8. Jan 17, 2010 at 6:55 PM
    colinb17

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Build thread in sig...

i am parked on a slight slop to the side, so it may be the tires "twisting"

9. Jan 17, 2010 at 7:12 PM
    colinb17

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Build thread in sig...

that's good news...especially since i still have stock ucas. i'll be calling my dealer tomorow.

10. Jan 17, 2010 at 7:27 PM
    lightfire

lightfire Well-Known Member

Member:
    So if this is what it takes with a 2.5 " lift, what about the 1.75 5100 lift? Will different UCA's be needed?

11. Jan 17, 2010 at 7:29 PM
    kilgoja

kilgoja Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2009 regular cab 4x4 2.7L (silver)
    :mudding:
    i don't think uca's are needed unless you go 2.5" or higher

12. Jan 17, 2010 at 7:35 PM
    cmouse

cmouse Well-Known Member

Member:
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma Dbl Cab Barcelona Red
    I have delt with Firestone in the past. They are really good at finding things to fix and love to take your money. They couldn't work on my last truck without finding some rediculous crap they said was "out of spec." They wanted me to relace my ball joints everytime I was in for a rotation and they were fine. I found a reputable alignment shop thanks to a local toyota mechanic. They were able to dial my truck in without wanting to look at other misc. charges. Skip Firestone and find a real alignment shop. The headaches you save will be worth the exta money. Just my experience.

13. Jan 17, 2010 at 7:46 PM
    colinb17

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Build thread in sig...

i'm going to go to/call the dealer tomorow. my local dealer has been good to me. no hassle with the tsb, good prices....so if they don't feel they can do the alignment, i'm sure they can point me in the direction of a good local shop.

14. Jan 17, 2010 at 7:58 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    LOL....Headache?? Telling them "no" is a headache?? Just talk with them and let them know that you know what you are doing.

The service manager at the Firestone I go to deals personally with me every time I'm there. Never tried to upsell me or pull a fast one with replacement recommendations. And for 135 for life time alignments- I've already gotten my monies worth a few times over.

15. Jan 18, 2010 at 10:20 AM
    colinb17

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Build thread in sig...
    UPDATE: found a local shop today that said they can do my alignment. I talked to the service manager at the shop (who drives a lifted IFS ford). He confirmed what i was thinking, by saying that the other shops i had talked to were just BSing me. he said that he had a couple guys in today who could do it, but recomended that i come back tomorow when they have their top alignment guy in.

16. Jan 18, 2010 at 11:18 AM
    cmouse

cmouse Well-Known Member

Member:
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma Dbl Cab Barcelona Red
    Good work. I don't want to be too hard on Firestone. Eah one is independently owned (I think) and there are several here in SLC in close proximity. I got 2 sets of tires there on other vehicles so I was somewhat invested in there system. I had to go to 3 different stores to find one that wasn't jerking me around. Sounds like Brunnes found a good manager. Good on ya mate. Have your manager talk to the other fools that tow the corporate upsell crap and I'll be back on board.

17. Jan 18, 2010 at 11:24 AM
    kilgoja

kilgoja Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2009 regular cab 4x4 2.7L (silver)
    :mudding:
    yeah i got my tires at firestone cuz they were the only ones that had them in stock but i went to the dealer to get them put on

18. Jan 18, 2010 at 5:22 PM
    lextech

lextech Member

Member:
    Just went through the alignment issue on mine. I just installed some light racing UCA's and did the alignment on saturday, everything is in spec now. Had almost no caster prior now it has 2.5 degrees truck drives alot better you wont be let down by putting a set in.

19. Mar 21, 2010 at 11:09 AM
    shawnresa

shawnresa Member

Member:
    First Name:
    shawn
    jashua tx
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 prerunner
    3" lift 285/75/16 black procomp wheels
    nope mine is at 0 camber 2.4 caster and only 15k miles nothing is loose and it has bump steer bad it sucks to drive

Products Discussed in

To Top