1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

WTH, Recycled air turns to fresh by itself?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Toyotacrawler, Oct 4, 2010.

1. May 3, 2014 at 7:34 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    AC automatically comes on in defrost mode to dry the air and help clear the glass.

There's a mod where you lift one of the wires from the door actuator that prevents it from happening, but even though the AC light is not on, when the door moves to direct air to the glass, the compressor kicks on.

2. May 4, 2014 at 12:21 AM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Same in Socal.

It's a defogger and works great.

Once the engine is up to temp, you've got 200 degree coolant in the heater core.
    A 40 degree AC core isn't going to pull it down enough to make a big difference.

But I agree, on a cold morning, for that first 15 minutes, it's not pleasant.

3. May 4, 2014 at 3:47 AM
    beondwacko

beondwacko Well-Known Member

Member:
    West Palm Beach, Florida
    Vehicle:
    08' X-Runner , Sirius radio, fog light mod. Much more to go.
    Living in S.Florida , where it rarely gets below 50, I would have never known that. Interesting factoid.

4. May 4, 2014 at 5:05 AM
    bwana49

bwana49 Well-Known Member

Member:
    I sat there thinking about this the other day. When I first got my Taco I wondered about my sanity too. I usually use recycle when I'm stuck behind a diesel vehicle and the fumes are bad. But I noticed it kept changing itself back to fresh.

Of course after someone told me to hold the button down for a longer time I started doing that. But, it bothers me that someone someone thinks I don't know what I'm doing.

Is there anyway to fix this so that when I press the button it does what I want?

5. May 4, 2014 at 7:02 AM
    02Duck

02Duck manuals make it better

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 4WD TRD Off Road 6MT
    TRD Exhaust, Mobtown bolt on sliders and aluminum tailgate reinforcement, Reverse lights changed to yellow turn signals, LED pods added for reverse, ADD W1 oil catch can, Total Chaos bed reinforcement, rear diff breather to taillight mod, 12" combo led bars behind lower grill wired to high beams, Toyota led bed light kit, 400 watt anytime mod, SSO slimeline front bumper.
    I did an AC defrost mod and it seems to stop the ac compressor from turning on unless I push the ac button. It is much nicer this way.

Last edited: May 4, 2014

Products Discussed in

To Top