1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

WTT - Thule XK1 adapter for 2005+ Tacoma

Discussion in 'Buy / Sell / Trade' started by Chyzmo, May 19, 2010.

1. May 19, 2010 at 10:25 AM
    Chyzmo

Chyzmo [OP] Member

Member:
    Austin, Tx
    Vehicle:
    98 XCab TRD 4WD 5spd V6
    I am looking to trade the Thule XK1 adapters for a 2005+ tacoma for the original mounting hardware that comes with racks that can use the XK1. This would include models like the Thule XSportster. I bought a rack used, was told the kit had what it needed, and was disapointed when I got home and couldn't put it on.

Thanks,
    Walker

xk1.jpg

2. May 24, 2010 at 9:25 AM
    Chyzmo

Chyzmo [OP] Member

Member:
    Austin, Tx
    Vehicle:
    98 XCab TRD 4WD 5spd V6
    Here is an actual picture of the adapters. Looking to trade, or if you happen to already have the adapters, I really just need the original hardware.

Thanks,
    Walker

Thule XK1 Adpaters (Small).jpg

3. May 19, 2011 at 7:42 PM
    douggytundra

douggytundra Well-Known Member

Member:
    orlando
    Vehicle:
    09 D-CAB 4x4 White Sport Taco
    I am getting ready to buy the rack so you don't need the tacoma parts and want the factory universal thule parts???? Correct

4. May 19, 2011 at 9:12 PM
    Enzo

Enzo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Opie
    Bedford, Va
    Vehicle:
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    2012 FJ Cruiser Maggiolina Medium Grand Tour w/winter hood National Luna dual battery split charging system ABR Sidewinder Aux battery tray ARB 50qt Fridge w/Transit Bag Bajarack flat rack w/ladder Crawlarado flat black hood blackout TRD exhaust Trasharoo Outback FJ roof console
    I also have the universal mounting parts if anyone needs them.

5. May 20, 2011 at 12:00 PM
    Chyzmo

Chyzmo [OP] Member

Member:
    Austin, Tx
    Vehicle:
    98 XCab TRD 4WD 5spd V6
    I didn't have any success at the time when I was trying to mount the rack, so I ended up biting the bullet and ordering the individual parts straight from Thule. That was a poor experience.

They don't have a parts kit, so you have to buy everything individually. Just to replace the original mounting hardware was on the plus side of $150. I ended up paying more for the used rack then and mounting hardware than I would have for a new one, and at least in my truck with a liner in it, the racks won't lock into the lowest position. If you are trying to mount them with a bedliner in place it can be very frustrating because the pieces don't lock together, and if you don't get the channel in there just right it can inside the liner.

For what it is worth, if I were doing it again I would more than likely go Yakima rather than Thule.

Walker

6. May 20, 2011 at 12:57 PM
    Enzo

Enzo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Opie
    Bedford, Va
    Vehicle:
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    2012 FJ Cruiser Maggiolina Medium Grand Tour w/winter hood National Luna dual battery split charging system ABR Sidewinder Aux battery tray ARB 50qt Fridge w/Transit Bag Bajarack flat rack w/ladder Crawlarado flat black hood blackout TRD exhaust Trasharoo Outback FJ roof console
    I feel your pain on not being able to put the rack supports all the way down. I have an 09 dc short bed and had to cut the bottom half of the supports. It sucked having to cut up my brand new $540 rack but I had to do it. I'm using mine as a mount for my RTT and awning.

Products Discussed in

To Top