1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Wyeth-Scott Power Puller Hand Winch

Discussion in 'Recovery' started by MtnFisher, Aug 6, 2019.

1. Oct 5, 2019 at 3:19 PM
    Navigator1

Navigator1 Assistant to the Regional Manager

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Spokane WA
    Vehicle:
    18 TRDORDCLBCEMENT
    That’s not correct at all. There is a factor in lines called EE(elastic elongation) that is measured in a percentage of elongation before breaking. Steel stretches more than dyneema(amsteel), which is a form of storing energy. This is how snatch ropes work. It’s also why they’re so big. Because if a nylon line breaks, all that stored energy releases and kills people. Think of a rubber band vs a cotton thread. They may break at the same pull, but the outcome is drastically different.

I’m sure like everything on TW this has been discussed many times over. I was actually just researching the power puller but couldn’t let go of such misinformation stated as fact.

MtnFisher[OP] likes this.
  2. Oct 6, 2019 at 7:09 PM
    penadam

penadam Well-Known Member

Member:
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    2003 Double Cab Tacoma TRD
    I'm not sure what you think is misinformation in my post. I said that synthetic winch ropes have lower elongation, which combined with their low weight results in less stored energy than a steel rope for a given load.

3. Oct 6, 2019 at 7:50 PM
    MtnFisher

MtnFisher [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    ZeroDrift
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma TRD ACLB V6 MT
    Currently running Goodyear DuraTracs with "ghetto" wheels
    FWIW I called Wyeth Scott a couple weeks ago and spoke with a rep, he stated these winches are used by many, many off roaders for recovery and the blue dyneema is quite safe.

Again, I'm not advocating the WS as a replacement for electric winches, just a lower cost alternative which might save you some grief. YMMV Happy wheeling!

02Duck, BlakeyD and Navigator1 like this.
  4. Oct 6, 2019 at 10:59 PM
    Navigator1

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Spokane WA
    Vehicle:
    18 TRDORDCLBCEMENT
    You said it has lower elongation because it’s stronger. If a wire and dyneema have the same breaking strength(which when properly sized for a winch they will) the steel has the ability to store more energy(stretch) resulting in more snap back. It’s a result of the material’s ability to stretch not its tensile strength.

I know it seems like splitting hairs to most folks. In my profession understanding lines/ropes/wires and their makeup and properties is a big part of what I do, so it’s important to have the correct details. I deal with wire and dyneema diameters up to 3”.

5. Oct 6, 2019 at 11:33 PM
    penadam

penadam Well-Known Member

Member:
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    2003 Double Cab Tacoma TRD
    Typical synthetic winch rope is both stronger and has a higher effective modulus of elasticity than the equivalent steel version. I'll admit I wasn't that clear in differentiating between the two originally. For ~10klbs winches, it 3/8" UHMWPE (of whatever brand) is a popular choice for synthetic while for steel 5/16" 7x19 WSC is popular. The synthetic has a breaking strength between 14,000-20,000 lbs (depending on manufacture) while the steel is around ~9,800 lbs.

Navigator1[QUOTED] likes this.
  6. Oct 6, 2019 at 11:43 PM
    Navigator1

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Spokane WA
    Vehicle:
    18 TRDORDCLBCEMENT
    Well explained. Thank you.

7. Oct 7, 2019 at 12:16 AM
    Navigator1

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Spokane WA
    Vehicle:
    18 TRDORDCLBCEMENT
    Back on topic. Is there a functioning aspect of this that makes it better than a regular double gear cable hand winch? Or is it just a very robust version of basically the same thing?

upload_2019-10-7_0-16-39.jpg

8. Oct 7, 2019 at 5:39 AM
    Grey 2015

Grey 2015 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Skip
    Loxahatchee Florida
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma
    I was always under the impression that by switching to synthetic rope from steel cable was 1. to save weight and 2. that if it snapped you're less likely to get cut in half like steel cable.

Navigator1 likes this.
  9. Oct 24, 2019 at 6:59 AM
    Jowett

Jowett Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    North Adams, MA
    I purchased my More Power Puller right around 1990. It is an excellent tool, extremely durable, and versatile. It has saved myself and many friends an untold number of times. Just be aware that if the extraction is significant, it is akin to the old adage of eating an elephant... one bite at time, eventually you will get through it, but it will take some time. If you are young, or do even a little resistance/strength training, the swearing and sweating will be greatly reduced. The handle will eventually begin to fatigue, pay attention to this, and buy a new one.

MtnFisher[OP] and Navigator1 like this.
  10. Oct 30, 2019 at 3:03 PM
    jbrandt

jbrandt Made you look

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    El Dorado, CA (NOT El Dorado Hills)
    Vehicle:
    '04 TRD Tacoma 4x4 DC
    Kings, J59's Total Chaos UCAs Custom skids Sticker mod
    That's basically it, yeah.

But if you don't stand next to a line that's under tension (steel or synth), you have an equal chance of being cut in half by both types (i.e. zero).

So at least in my mind, the idea that synth line is "safer" is only a reality if you are not being "safe" with steel lines.

But people forget there are disadvantages with synth line too (not just cost), notably that it breaks down and needs replacement every few years (3-5?), and that you can't drag it on the ground or over rocks like you can with steel.

11. Oct 30, 2019 at 4:06 PM
    MtnFisher

Member:
    First Name:
    ZeroDrift
    Vehicle:
    This puller has been around for over 50yrs, jungle tested, used by off roaders, loggers, the forest service and arborists all over.

The synthetic line is going to last longer if maintained properly, it's easily stored inside the vehicle or a HD box unlike an external mounted electric winch exposed to the elements. As for abrasion, you shouldn't even be dragging steel over rocks. And they do make abrasion sleeves if you think you'll need one.

The WS puller is not perfect for all situations but it may just save your ass one day like it has for countless others.

https://suncruisermedia.com/4WDrive/accessories/more-power-puller/

Last edited: Oct 30, 2019
  12. Oct 30, 2019 at 4:34 PM
    Navigator1

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Spokane WA
    Vehicle:
    18 TRDORDCLBCEMENT
    At work we’ve used old canvas firehose pieces and they protect the lines very well. A dyneema line can last a very very long time if cared for properly.

I’ve been trying to figure out what piece of recovery gear to go to next. One of these, or start setting up a winch cradle system. I’m starting to think with as fast as modern electrical equipment fails and is considered disposable, the power puller is going to be the true emergency recovery tool over a winch. A winch is an awesome convenience, especially if wheeling with a group. But the power puller seems like one of those tools you pass on to your kids if it’s properly cared for.

02Duck likes this.
  13. Oct 30, 2019 at 5:13 PM
    MtnFisher

Member:
    First Name:
    ZeroDrift
    Vehicle:
    My WS i
    I'm putting my WS puller kit together now, the sale is over but bought it off Treestuff.com for about $315 shipped.

Picked up a 22" HD tool box which should hold it along with recovery accessories.
    20191030_170312.jpg
    20191031_102808.jpg

Pull the trigger during a black Friday sale if you can wait.

Update: Plenty of room in the HD 22" box for WS puller, handles w/extension, treesaver & 66' extension strap, bow shackles, gloves etc. The box size is perfect and is waterproof. I always carry a couple of cheap and sometimes free HF moving blankets too.
    20191101_113348.jpg
    A primary recovery strap and hitch are stored in a separate Dewalt box.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2019
    02Duck, Marc70 and Navigator1[QUOTED] like this.
  14. Nov 9, 2019 at 3:18 PM
    6AYoteHunter

6AYoteHunter Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stewart
    Northern AZ
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD 4x4 2019 TRD 4x4
    These are by far the best hand winch made. Have pulled out a few vehicles with mine and countless stumps. Just make sure to get a real one. Noticed some fakes on Amazon recently. Treestuff.com is a good source for them.

MtnFisher[OP], Marc70 and TacoNorth76 like this.
  15. Dec 18, 2022 at 10:12 AM
    pranabindu

pranabindu Well-Known Member

Member:
    Sorry to necro this thread, but I find myself looking at the More Power Puller option. So expensive! It looks like use case is going to be very important.

If I was going to be doing the kind of off-roading that found me navigating a lot of mud holes, and it was to be expected to have to pull myself out several times per day, or even just once every time I went out, the electric winch makes way more sense than the MPP. I'm in northern CO, though, and we only go on sketchy roads to get to camping in beautiful places that don't get much pressure. Mud is rare, even in the spring, because there's usually rocks under there (the "Rocky Mountains"). Since we got the 2010 TRD Taco, we only had to get pulled out twice (once in a deep mud hole, once in a snow pile). Now that we've added the 3rd Gen to the family, we don't expect our camping to change much.

I've been watching Tacoma videos on youtube for a month now, and all that has made me want to keep the weight down on both the new rig and on the 2010 (as we mod each one). I don't want to be hauling all that armor and 75lbs. of winch on my daily drive. I always have the wifey and the dog(s) whenever I go "upstairs." The MPP will make for a great team effort to add to our adventures there. One thing I'm really looking forward to is being able to pull fallen trees from our way in early spring!

Anyway, this is my vote for the MPP. I hope it all fits in a small-ish tool box....

16. Jul 31, 2023 at 5:46 PM
    talltree

talltree Active Member

Member:
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    04 Sequoia
    Old post, I know. Did you get the Wyeth Scott? And if so, did you find a small box? I see from the post above that the HD 22" tool box will work, but I'm hoping for something smaller and more low-profile as I'd like to put it on the roof rack and only bring it when there's a chance I need it. I already keep the other recovery stuff in the vehicle in a small backpack that can double as a cable damper, so I pretty much just need (waterproof) storage for the More Power Puller. It seems like something 22" x 10 x 10 or so would be fine. I'll post up if I find something, but please let me know if you've already invented this wheel.

17. Aug 11, 2023 at 8:11 AM
    pranabindu

pranabindu Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nope, I have not gotten that. I've decided to go with a powered winch (eventually).

talltree[QUOTED] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top