1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Wyoming B.S. Thread

Discussion in 'North West' started by Blackdawg, Mar 18, 2011.

1. Aug 13, 2019 at 1:34 PM
    Digiratus

Digiratus Adventurer

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Roaming the PNW
    Vehicle:
    The RedHead
    2002 XtraCab TRD 4x4 v6 Auto Trans With Lots of Mods King Extended Travel COs Camburg Uniball UCAs Whiteline Lower Control Arm Bushings Alcan Custom 8-Leaf Rear Spring Packs Fox 2.0 Resi Rear Shocks FrankenFab Rear Shock Relocate All-Pro U-bolt Flip w/Timbren bumps Toytec 1" Extended Shackle 4.88 Nitro Gears ARB Front Locker ARB Twin Compressor Gunmetal 16x8 SCS Ray10s 285/75r16 Cooper STT Pros Limited Edition Relentless Front Bumper Smittybilt X2O 10K Winch 3" LED Pods w/Amber covers in the Bumper 22" Single Row LED Bar on the Bumper Mini D2S Projectors XB35 Ballasts + 4500K Bulbs Badland Sliders FrankenFab Tire Carrier Swingout bumper w/kitchen BudBuilt Front & Bellypan Skids BAMF Rear Diff Skid Whynter 65 qt. Fridge/Freezer CVT Mt Bachelor RTT Badland Custom Bed Rack GM 140 amp alternator Dual Northstar 24F AGM batteries BlueSea 7622 ML-ACR Battery controller Peak DBI Dual Battery Voltage Monitor Magnaflow 18" Muffler 13WL Brake Calipers Braided Steel Brake Lines AFE Pro Dry S air filter ScanGauge II OBDII Scanner Kenwood TM-71A Dual Band Ham Radio Larson 70CM/2M Antenna Uniden 520xl CB radio 3' Firestik Adjustable tip antenna Pioneer DEH-P9400BH HU Alpine Amps & Type R components (F) and coaxials (R) Wet Okole Seat Covers Weathertech Digital Liners Deck Plate Mod 1" Diff Drop Carrier Bearing Drop
    Maybe I was fortunate with the corolla. 8 years and 83K and no warranty claims and only normal wear items like oil changes and brake pads. Maybe everybody should buy a Toyota.

Maybe if you are buying a Dodge or a Chevy a lease makes more sense. :notsure:

edit: I forgot about the takata airbag recall that was done at 75K.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019 at 1:49 PM
    Speedytech7 and m3bassman like this.
  2. Aug 13, 2019 at 1:50 PM
    m3bassman

m3bassman Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    01 Tacoma
    I hear you. And it is certainly an experiment for us as well. I figured why not try and see if I hate it or not. I am learning I like mixing up cars often enough that it makes it easier to do after 3 years than if I had bought it and went to trade it in, or sell it as I aquire something else. Just hand over the keys.

Comparing it to renting vs buying a house is silly as, in general, houses appreciate and cars, do not.

This is a big part of it. I won't need to worry about maintenance on it for 3 years. Oil changes, warranty, all of it is not my problem. So when we looked at our goals for the next few years, being able to have a more "fixed" cost than having two old trucks made sense. Let variability when it comes to vehicle cost.

I figure by the time the lease is up, orange truck will be paid off and the second gen Toyota 86 models will be in dealerships with their teething issues sorted out. :drool: or maybe I can get a used supra?

Ask me in 36 months how I feel about it :laugh:

Every 3 years we get an anniversary present to ourselves :anonymous:

gordi likes this.
  3. Aug 13, 2019 at 2:14 PM
    Blackdawg

Blackdawg [OP] Dr. Frankenstein

Member:
    First Name:
    Monte
    Wyoming/St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    The Trifecta of Taco's
    ALL OF THEM!...Then some more.
    So you need thing I don't think you took into account on the math was insurance. Did you have full coverage on the runner and don't you have to have full coverage on the lease?

4. Aug 13, 2019 at 2:20 PM
    m3bassman

Member:
    Vehicle:
    01 Tacoma
    Had full coverage on the runner. I've gone into this before that the difference between full coverage and liability is pretty minimal.

5. Aug 13, 2019 at 4:02 PM
    Digiratus

Digiratus Adventurer

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Roaming the PNW
    Vehicle:
    The RedHead
    2002 XtraCab TRD 4x4 v6 Auto Trans With Lots of Mods King Extended Travel COs Camburg Uniball UCAs Whiteline Lower Control Arm Bushings Alcan Custom 8-Leaf Rear Spring Packs Fox 2.0 Resi Rear Shocks FrankenFab Rear Shock Relocate All-Pro U-bolt Flip w/Timbren bumps Toytec 1" Extended Shackle 4.88 Nitro Gears ARB Front Locker ARB Twin Compressor Gunmetal 16x8 SCS Ray10s 285/75r16 Cooper STT Pros Limited Edition Relentless Front Bumper Smittybilt X2O 10K Winch 3" LED Pods w/Amber covers in the Bumper 22" Single Row LED Bar on the Bumper Mini D2S Projectors XB35 Ballasts + 4500K Bulbs Badland Sliders FrankenFab Tire Carrier Swingout bumper w/kitchen BudBuilt Front & Bellypan Skids BAMF Rear Diff Skid Whynter 65 qt. Fridge/Freezer CVT Mt Bachelor RTT Badland Custom Bed Rack GM 140 amp alternator Dual Northstar 24F AGM batteries BlueSea 7622 ML-ACR Battery controller Peak DBI Dual Battery Voltage Monitor Magnaflow 18" Muffler 13WL Brake Calipers Braided Steel Brake Lines AFE Pro Dry S air filter ScanGauge II OBDII Scanner Kenwood TM-71A Dual Band Ham Radio Larson 70CM/2M Antenna Uniden 520xl CB radio 3' Firestik Adjustable tip antenna Pioneer DEH-P9400BH HU Alpine Amps & Type R components (F) and coaxials (R) Wet Okole Seat Covers Weathertech Digital Liners Deck Plate Mod 1" Diff Drop Carrier Bearing Drop
  6. Aug 13, 2019 at 4:33 PM
    Speedytech7

Speedytech7 Toyota Cult Ombudsman

Member:
    First Name:
    Zane
    PHX, AZ
    Vehicle:
    1993 Land Cruiser Triple Locked
    I done a mod or two
    Thanks for the picture thread Mike, cheered me up, been miserable all day packing and loading the moving truck in 108° heat.

gordi likes this.
  7. Aug 13, 2019 at 4:50 PM
    Blackdawg

Member:
    First Name:
    Monte
    Wyoming/St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    The Trifecta of Taco's
    Not what I'm saying. What's the numbers difference between the two since you're on a basically fairly tight margin to make this work as is.

8. Aug 13, 2019 at 5:11 PM
    m3bassman

Member:
    Vehicle:
    01 Tacoma
    I'll get the numbers tomorrow. Wasn't at all worried about it as I know where my BRZ was. I'll shoot you the numbers when I get them. I think I'll be diligent and see if I can keep a log for every penny put into the car as well as gas over time. Be kinda fun to see where the estimate and actual are at the end.

9. Aug 13, 2019 at 5:21 PM
    Blackdawg

Member:
    First Name:
    Monte
    Wyoming/St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    The Trifecta of Taco's
    Yeah I think it would be interesting to see the results.

10. Aug 13, 2019 at 5:27 PM
    m3bassman

Member:
    Vehicle:
    01 Tacoma
    Then we can quantify how big of a moron I am against how big of a moron is perceived :laugh:

Blackdawg [OP] and gordi like this.
  11. Aug 13, 2019 at 6:53 PM
    Blackdawg

Member:
    First Name:
    Monte
    Wyoming/St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    The Trifecta of Taco's
    At least in this particular case haha

Swapped the fuse box over once I got home. Took I think 2.5 hours. Not bad. Fired right up. Amazing what one loose connection will do. Glad to have it back.

jubei and BossFoss like this.
  12. Aug 13, 2019 at 7:00 PM
    m3bassman

Member:
    Vehicle:
    01 Tacoma
    Woah! I'm brilliant in every other way.

BossFoss likes this.
  13. Aug 13, 2019 at 7:29 PM
    Squeaky Penguin

Squeaky Penguin Nothing Ventured, Nothing Gained

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Steamboat Springs, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    '01 4WD, SR5, TRD
    Lots of dust and custom dents, Check Build
    Are you comparing lease payments to the (estimated) cost of depreciation and interest, or how is this math working? Guessing a Carolla doesn't deprecate as fast as a lot of other cars, and therefore would be harder to come out 'ahead' in a lease, even for a short term.

14. Aug 13, 2019 at 7:42 PM
    m3bassman

Member:
    Vehicle:
    01 Tacoma
    Payment + gas + maintenance between two vehicles. I don't think I'll buy out the Corolla at the end because you pay more in the lease than what it actually depreciates over the term.

15. Aug 13, 2019 at 7:50 PM
    Squeaky Penguin

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Vehicle:
    '01 4WD, SR5, TRD
    Who cares about monthly cost if at the end of the lease you have nothing, and after 3 years of making payments you would have equity in it? Sounds like you're not looking at this the right way.

jubei, BossFoss, Digiratus and 2 others like this.
  16. Aug 13, 2019 at 8:11 PM
    m3bassman

Member:
    Vehicle:
    01 Tacoma
    Conventional wisdom says you gotta have something at the end to show for your money. So at the end of 36 months with an estimate of costs (and my estimates could be off, no doubt) if i have a 4runner worth $5000 but i spent $15,000 on fuel and maintenance, vs a lease that i only spent $10,000 including payments, fuel and maintenance, it becomes a complete wash. At which point i either sell the runner to get that value out of it then, or i hand in my keys in for something new, which i seem to be doing already with my car purchases. Some people like spending their money on kids, i like spending money on cars :notsure:

Ill be working to track this as diligently as possible as stated above to see where i hit on my estimates and also compare to the 4runner estimate.

Ive got nothing to prove other than i am human. I could be entirely wrong, and if so, that is life.

17. Aug 13, 2019 at 8:15 PM
    Squeaky Penguin

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Vehicle:
    '01 4WD, SR5, TRD
    You're entirely wrong. :luvya:

Forget the 4runner. You need to compare the cost of buying vs leasing the Carolla.

jubei, BossFoss, Digiratus and 2 others like this.
  18. Aug 13, 2019 at 8:30 PM
    m3bassman

Member:
    Vehicle:
    01 Tacoma
    Oh.

I did that math as well. It was hard to get a comp because the cars haven't been out three years but I figured it out to be that the additional cost of the payment would have been about what the equity would've been. But then I'd by in the same boat of wanting to sell it and getting something new.

19. Aug 13, 2019 at 8:31 PM
    BossFoss

BossFoss Super Dope Homeboy from the Old Town

Member:
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    Ecto "L" 04 Tacoma
    TRD Supercharged, URD 7th injector, URD 2.2 pulley, URD short shift, URD crankshaft pulley, TRD Headers, Camburg 2.5 coilovers with UCA, Deaver custom 10 leaf pack, Deckplate, Grey Wire, 42 gallon suburban aux gas tank, rampage 42" radius light bar, relentless fab light mounts, relentless fab front bumper, twin stick shifter, custom rock sliders
    I love this thread, you guys are awesome.

jubei, SconnieHailer, turbodb and 4 others like this.
  20. Aug 13, 2019 at 8:40 PM
    Digiratus

Digiratus Adventurer

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Roaming the PNW
    Vehicle:
    The RedHead
    You're welcome man. Is tomorrow the move day? I hope everything goes smoothly.

Speedytech7 likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top