1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Wyoming B.S. Thread

Discussion in 'North West' started by Blackdawg, Mar 18, 2011.

1. Apr 22, 2024 at 9:40 PM
    Blackdawg

Blackdawg [OP] Dr. Frankenstein

Member:
    First Name:
    Monte
    Wyoming/St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    The Trifecta of Taco's
    ALL OF THEM!...Then some more.
    Oh right.

Yeah you want a south central trip is what you want.

2. Apr 22, 2024 at 9:52 PM
    turbodb

turbodb AdventureTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tacoma Xcab 4x4 SR5 V6 TRD
    AdventureTaco
    I mean, I want it all. But I'll take whatever I can get. Just happy to be able to get together.

3. Apr 22, 2024 at 10:41 PM
    m3bassman

m3bassman Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Green truck
    Curious what time we are thinking of meeting up in Bridger on that Friday? Looking at Google I will probably truck through the night to red rock lakes which puts me about 5 hours from bridger that Friday.

Digiratus likes this.
  4. Apr 22, 2024 at 10:45 PM
    Speedytech7

Speedytech7 Toyota Cult Ombudsman

Member:
    First Name:
    ゼイン
    5520 E Sprague Ave, Spokane Valley, WA 99212
    Vehicle:
    93 80 Series LC & 96 Turbo V6 Taco 4WD
    I've done a mod or two
    Yeah that'd be good to know

5. Apr 22, 2024 at 11:09 PM
    Blackdawg

Member:
    First Name:
    Monte
    Wyoming/St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    The Trifecta of Taco's
    Fair enough. ha

Will definielty do those trails though. Curious about Independence. I know they had another late season wash out last year so idk if you can actually get there right now.

Probably not until late. Devin will have to teach still and gets done around 5:30ish I think. And will be packed and ready to go from there. My plan was to camp at the base that night of Big Pryor Mnt. Do the hike in the morning. Then work our way up into the mountains and look for caves. Will have to think about my route as Im not totally sure if hauling Ben's pig down the switch backs is wise...might be fine though.

6. Apr 23, 2024 at 1:36 AM
    AssQuake

AssQuake Unknown Member

Member:
    First Name:
    A.J.
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    4runner
    Made in Japan
    already riding on the durobumps at neutral height? damn haha

7. Apr 23, 2024 at 6:21 AM
    m3bassman

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Green truck
    Very much so :anonymous:
    No it's not and for a quick trip I could manage, I just love the comfort of my van. When we were just in Utah, one morning we were up moving around camp in the morning and everyone else was a bit groggy and complaining about the wind keeping them up at night. For me, I didn't know it was windy at all, never heard it or felt it and slept great :laugh:
    Timing wise that should work, would give me time to poke around red rock lakes that morning and take my time getting over that way. Probably just meet you at your house at that point.

What are the coordinates of the switchbacks? I want to check them out on earth.
    Not sure what you mean by "already". Dropped the front end onto the wheelers bumps when I put the current coils/shocks on it. Rides just fine and the height is pretty perfect for what I need.

8. Apr 23, 2024 at 8:43 AM
    IDtrucks

IDtrucks Unhinged and Fluid

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark "Buck"
    Jackson Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    96' X-Cab 4x4 TRD Off Road Clusterfuck
    JVC Deck, 10" sub mountd in rear seat cubby, 2 LED off road lights mounted in grille, amber raptor style grille lights, LED rock lights, square led bed light, custom made fuse block tray, 12 blade Blue Sea fuse block, 100a marine circuit breaker, black plasti dipped full grille, tinted tail lights + third, Uniden 520 with 4' firestik, Bilstein 5100s with 620lb Eibach coils, Diff drop, Chevy 63 leaf swap, TG creeper joints, 14" triangulated biletein 5125s, 8" extended steel braided brake line, TG Rock Sliders, CBI Moab 1.0 front bumper, custom fabbed bed rack, full TRD E-Locker axle swap and matching re-gear with custom stand alone wiring circuit, 29 spline pinion flange from an 06 wishbone runner, tubbed for 35x12.5" general grabbers on Ultra type 181 wheels, crush sleeve eliminator, Mini ARB compressor, front ARB locker, garage fab aluminum front skid plate, custom built high clearence rear bumper, removable mothafuckin doors
    thats pretty close to my neck of the woods. maybe I can swing by for a long weekend, maybe do it real rugged on the KLR

Digiratus and Speedytech7 like this.
  9. Apr 23, 2024 at 8:44 AM
    m3bassman

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Green truck
    If so, I have extra space to haul some of your gear if need be. Be good to see you out on a trip again.

What a hilarious look the group would be, Tacomas, an elephant and a dirt bike :laugh:

I submitted for 5/24 off so consider me in.

Digiratus likes this.
  10. Apr 23, 2024 at 8:47 AM
    Speedytech7

Speedytech7 Toyota Cult Ombudsman

Member:
    First Name:
    ゼイン
    5520 E Sprague Ave, Spokane Valley, WA 99212
    Vehicle:
    93 80 Series LC & 96 Turbo V6 Taco 4WD
    I've done a mod or two
    They're tight with a good bit of elevation change between them but not what I would consider high risk you could probably 40 point turn them because none of them come super close to it sharp drop off

Digiratus likes this.
  11. Apr 23, 2024 at 9:01 AM
    Blackdawg

Member:
    First Name:
    Monte
    Wyoming/St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    The Trifecta of Taco's

https://maps.app.goo.gl/JYvYXpJQ9qR5UUUc8

Nothing super crazy. Few of them are tight is all. Nothing like Morrison or blackbear. Tighter than Flint though. But less deadly as like Zane said, no cliffs near them.

Heres some photos from the ReTour trip

[​IMG]The ReTour-41.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr

This is probably the worst one.

[​IMG]The ReTour-42.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr

[​IMG]The ReTour-43.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr
    [​IMG]The ReTour-54.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr

For the July trip? That'd be awesome! You'll be back in Wyo then? When do you get off the water?

Wrong trip I think at least as to what I think he's saying.

But either way be fun!

adkmac and jubei like this.
  12. Apr 23, 2024 at 9:28 AM
    m3bassman

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Green truck
    Those don't look bad, some careful maneuvering and should be fine. I'm up for the challenge.

And Mark said long weekend so I assumed Memorial day, which the offer stands for. Hell even July would probably be the same situation.

13. Apr 23, 2024 at 9:46 AM
    Blackdawg

Member:
    First Name:
    Monte
    Wyoming/St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    The Trifecta of Taco's
    I think you'd be fine. Slow AF. But fine. I'll plan the route to do that then. There is a cave on top of Big Pryor that would be cool to see and then we just cut down the switchbacks to get over to East Pryor where there are a lot of caves on the way down past Pen's Cabin. No idea how big they are or anything, but plenty are marked. So will go see whats what.

14. Apr 23, 2024 at 9:51 AM
    m3bassman

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Green truck
    Yeah I won't have new suspension under the rear yet so it'll be a leisurely pace for me. Which reminds me, what handheld ham were you recommending? Mikes worked just fine last time so I'll go that route and figure out the charging situation.

15. Apr 23, 2024 at 9:52 AM
    IDtrucks

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark "Buck"
    Jackson Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    JVC Deck, 10" sub mountd in rear seat cubby, 2 LED off road lights mounted in grille, amber raptor style grille lights, LED rock lights, square led bed light, custom made fuse block tray, 12 blade Blue Sea fuse block, 100a marine circuit breaker, black plasti dipped full grille, tinted tail lights + third, Uniden 520 with 4' firestik, Bilstein 5100s with 620lb Eibach coils, Diff drop, Chevy 63 leaf swap, TG creeper joints, 14" triangulated biletein 5125s, 8" extended steel braided brake line, TG Rock Sliders, CBI Moab 1.0 front bumper, custom fabbed bed rack, full TRD E-Locker axle swap and matching re-gear with custom stand alone wiring circuit, 29 spline pinion flange from an 06 wishbone runner, tubbed for 35x12.5" general grabbers on Ultra type 181 wheels, crush sleeve eliminator, Mini ARB compressor, front ARB locker, garage fab aluminum front skid plate, custom built high clearence rear bumper, removable mothafuckin doors
    We are aiming to be back home the beginning of June. So a later July long weekend would work out really well. Butte is just under 5 hours from jackson, so thats an easy drive. Id probably throw the bike in the dodge and just leave that *somewhere* and come back to it for the drive back. I have another buddy that i moto with whos always dying to do a dual sport trip that might want to come too.

Do you think part of the july trip will be over a weekend? Or is it a solid mid week kind of plan?

16. Apr 23, 2024 at 9:56 AM
    IDtrucks

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark "Buck"
    Jackson Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    I think we're miixng up the trips haha. Im scheming to be in for the July one. Not memorial day unfortunately.

17. Apr 23, 2024 at 9:57 AM
    m3bassman

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Green truck
    Works all the same :thumbsup:

18. Apr 23, 2024 at 9:59 AM
    Blackdawg

Member:
    First Name:
    Monte
    Wyoming/St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    The Trifecta of Taco's
    I don't have a direct recommendation. The Baofang stuff is....fine. Not awesome. But fine.

I had an Icom 51a handheld which idk if you got to use. Also running an icom 5100a in the truck. Very powerful radios but also a bit niche due to them being DSTAR radios, which is a digital mode which I'm not in the "know" anymore in terms of what digital modes are popular. My Dad said fuck it and has some kind of Allstar setup and can talk to all the digital modes so no idea.

Anyways, I do have a recommendation for a single channel HAM that is affordable. My dad runs them for APRS radios in his rigs and house. I can't remember what it's called so I'll text him and let you know. It works good though, better than a Baofang and cleaner signal. I've been meaning to get one for years...

19. Apr 23, 2024 at 9:59 AM
    IDtrucks

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark "Buck"
    Jackson Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    perfect. The combination of rigs is quite funny. We may grow up and move on through physical posessions (except Frank, monte will force that thing through hell until it turns to dust, then he will compress the dust into a new frame and force it into another life of abuse), but the goal and root of the fun is still the same

20. Apr 23, 2024 at 10:02 AM
    Blackdawg

Member:
    First Name:
    Monte
    Wyoming/St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    The Trifecta of Taco's
    very nice!

Would start over the weekend. So I'd probably leave my house on Friday afternoon/evening.

Looking like we will start off of highway 43 potentially off of I15. Most the trip will be during the week. But should be on trail by Saturday and well into by Sunday.

Frank life. Full circle. His resurrection is inevitable

Speedytech7 likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top