1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

X Overland

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by Dammit Evie, Feb 1, 2020.

1. Feb 4, 2020 at 4:02 AM
    NukedTaco

NukedTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Wyatt
    Saratoga Springs, NY
    First season was good, second season was ok and third season was meh. I liked how in the first season what they were doing was achievable by anyone with a 4x4 working on a regular joe budget but then by the 3rd season all the $100k plus rigs was a turn off.

codyb209 likes this.
  2. Feb 4, 2020 at 4:18 AM
    baldridge

baldridge War Eagle!!!!! KN4OYZ

Member:
    First Name:
    Bart
    Auburn, AL
    Vehicle:
    2015 MGM TRD Offroad and 2015 Black Prerunner SR5
    OME Lift with HD Dakar’s C4 Slim Line Bumper 4.88 ECGS Gears ARB Single Air Compressor ARB Rear Air Locker JBA UCA’s 285 BFG KO2’s Weather Tech Floor Mats Martin OffRoad Rack Console Vault KB Voodoo Cab Height Rack 23Zero RTT 23Zero Awning 23Zero Shower Tent Maxtrax Black MaxTrax amounting Pins Krazy Beaver Shovel Fiskers Axe Smittybilt ace and Shovel Mount Quickfists Rotopax 4 Gallon Rotopax Mounting Plate Rotopax Mounting Brackets Decked Storage System Alu Cab XL Tilt Fridge Slide ARB Elements Fridge OEM Skid Plate Local Sliders Uniden 510XL Cali Raised Tailgate Antenna Mount Fire Stick 3 foot Antenna PowerTray Fuse Panel Blue Seas Fuse Box Blue Seas Breaker Cali Raised Ditch Light Mounts Rigid Ditch Lights Alpha Rex Head Lights with LED bulbs Blue Ridge Overland Tacoma Attic Blue Ridge Overland Seat storage bags
    Me and my 11 year old son have been watching these together. He has been watching some of the other videos they do on gear they use and so forth. I’ve been hearing dad we need this or that. Lol! Videos are on YouTube too. We rather be watching these than 90% of the other stuff that’s out there.

cruiseroutfit, BalutTaco and td812 like this.
  3. Feb 4, 2020 at 7:50 AM
    mrtonyd

mrtonyd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD OR DCSB cement
    Stoked to check this out when I get off work. Anyone watch 4wdAction? The Australians? https://www.youtube.com/user/4wdaction
    How do they compare? 4wdAction adds some humor whereas most other overland vids I've seen have a much more serious tone. This sounds like it has the serious tone.

velogeek likes this.
  4. Feb 4, 2020 at 8:04 AM
    MR E30

MR E30 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Wherever it's parked
    Vehicle:
    2021 Silver TRD OR DCLB w/ AluCab and All the Mods
    Big fan of XO, and have been watching them for years now.

Their episodes (mostly the older stuff) always gets me pumped for adventure. They had a huge impact on me devoting more time and money to explore the vastness of the world. Will always be grateful for that. The Mackenzie trail series was top-notch for me. Always enjoy watching groups overcome challenges together by sweating it out.

Though I will mimic others in this thread. Before it seemed, at least, to be a bit more challenging. Their most recent season was too 'easy' for my taste. Plus they dropped off the Tacoma and put in a Gladiator. Nothing against Jeep, but they were Toyota guys from the get-go, and I enjoyed that. Now they are doing a huge Dodge truck build as well. That seems to be the nature of the beast though.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2020
    cruiseroutfit likes this.
  5. Feb 4, 2020 at 8:11 AM
    Woodrow F Call

Woodrow F Call Kindling crackles and the smoke curls up...

Member:
    Colorful Colorado
    Vehicle:
    16 DCSB SR5 4X4 "ikea furniture haulers" edition.
    I can see that, but you don't need a $100,000 rig to drive around on dirt roads. You could do what they did with less. They need the sponsors to keep doing shows though. They need to "advertise" to get sponsors. Nothing is free. I've enjoyed all the seasons to the Southern tip of South America, not for the builds, but for the places they went. You could do the same with most any decent reliable pickup truck.

cruiseroutfit and WSchafer like this.
  6. Feb 4, 2020 at 8:21 AM
    WSchafer

WSchafer Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Vehicle:
    2020 Midnight Black Metallic 4Runner TRD OR
    Yeah I love these guys, but they lost me with the flying shit. Also a little tooo much talk about “constructing a team based on excellence and intentionality, elevating our goals and achieving greatness.” Like, I’m really just here to watch some friends take cool Toyotas on fun adventures, not run inspirational talks and air missions out of a $150,000 Gladiator.

Redeemed, BalutTaco and stu8319 like this.
  7. Feb 4, 2020 at 8:23 AM
    TheCochese

TheCochese The Bronze T4R OG

Member:
    Attempting to flee the south
    Vehicle:
    Cavalry Blue soccer machine
    Fine corinthian leather
    I said it on the other thread that got locked, but the main dude who does VO (if he still does) made it seem like they were out here doing the most important shit on planet Earth. It's what ultimately made me bail in the middle of the SA season.

8. Feb 4, 2020 at 9:34 AM
    JWally

JWally Active Member

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2020 DCSB TRD OR
    First season was great, but these guys just take themselves way too seriously. It's not a mission, guys, it's a road trip, lighten up. I thought overlanding was supposed to be about the journey, but these guys act like everything is a military operation.

stun gun, BalutTaco and TheCochese like this.
  9. Feb 4, 2020 at 11:13 AM
    BalutTaco

BalutTaco Moja_Przygoda

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 Cement Limo Trail Edition -> 2022 Magnetic Grey OR
    Bird nest engine bay.
    DAD WE NEED 4 pairs of MAXTRAX!!!

baldridge[QUOTED] likes this.
  10. Feb 4, 2020 at 12:37 PM
    baldridge

baldridge War Eagle!!!!! KN4OYZ

Member:
    First Name:
    Bart
    Auburn, AL
    Vehicle:
    2015 MGM TRD Offroad and 2015 Black Prerunner SR5
    OME Lift with HD Dakar’s C4 Slim Line Bumper 4.88 ECGS Gears ARB Single Air Compressor ARB Rear Air Locker JBA UCA’s 285 BFG KO2’s Weather Tech Floor Mats Martin OffRoad Rack Console Vault KB Voodoo Cab Height Rack 23Zero RTT 23Zero Awning 23Zero Shower Tent Maxtrax Black MaxTrax amounting Pins Krazy Beaver Shovel Fiskers Axe Smittybilt ace and Shovel Mount Quickfists Rotopax 4 Gallon Rotopax Mounting Plate Rotopax Mounting Brackets Decked Storage System Alu Cab XL Tilt Fridge Slide ARB Elements Fridge OEM Skid Plate Local Sliders Uniden 510XL Cali Raised Tailgate Antenna Mount Fire Stick 3 foot Antenna PowerTray Fuse Panel Blue Seas Fuse Box Blue Seas Breaker Cali Raised Ditch Light Mounts Rigid Ditch Lights Alpha Rex Head Lights with LED bulbs Blue Ridge Overland Tacoma Attic Blue Ridge Overland Seat storage bags
    Yep. I said I already have 1 pair I don’t use. :rofl: He did say today he wants to study for his ham radio exam. I thought that was cool. I already have mine.

BalutTaco[QUOTED] likes this.
  11. Feb 4, 2020 at 2:45 PM
    velogeek

velogeek Well-Known Member

Member:
    Gilbert, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2024 4Runner
    I do appreciate the emphasis they put in training (even if they do act like some wannabe militia in how they talk about it) because most people who get out there don’t have a damn clue. Ronny is still the gold standard for off-road tutorials IMO but the XO guys have more visibility and average people need to realize that one bad axe swing is all it takes to end things if you’re not prepared.

JWally[QUOTED] and BalutTaco like this.
  12. Feb 4, 2020 at 2:57 PM
    BalutTaco

BalutTaco Moja_Przygoda

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Bird nest engine bay.
    One day those tracks will save your life. I gotta work on getting my Ham radio license too!

baldridge[QUOTED] likes this.
  13. Feb 4, 2020 at 3:42 PM
    monkeyevil

monkeyevil Victory 4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    Daryl
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Sport
    I really respect the effort they put into the content; beautiful shots and locations for sure. The personalities seem a little stiff for my tastes and I just can't get sucked into it, however. I'm a goofy idiot though :rofl:

TheCochese and BalutTaco like this.
  14. Feb 4, 2020 at 4:15 PM
    BalutTaco

BalutTaco Moja_Przygoda

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Bird nest engine bay.
    Tbh, I enjoy mostly all of it! But I just got into this " overlanding/car camping" My favorite part is when they talked to random strangers! My last trip I ran into some people from Indiana that I met at the Grand Canyon during my road trip. We hike the bright angels trails together and caravan to Zion national park! Probably my favorite part about my road trip. It only took us "hey do you want some firewood?" They were rolling 4 deep in a small sedan....

15. Feb 4, 2020 at 4:24 PM
    connerclan97

connerclan97 Southern Xpeditions

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    South MS/Northeast TN
    Vehicle:
    2018 Black Tacoma TRD Off-Road 4x4 DCLB
    List of mods in build thread
    Love those silly blokes from down unda...
    They wheel the shit out of their rigs. No being gentle at all.
    My favorite Offroad channel by far.
    Expedition Overland have some sweet rigs, but the content leaves much to be desired IMO.

DavesTaco68 and mrtonyd[QUOTED] like this.
  16. Feb 4, 2020 at 5:04 PM
    jaxyaks

jaxyaks Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 Silver Tacoma TRD Off Road
    I enjoyed a couple of seasons, it does seem that now they are using whatever people will give them and not what’s the best for the task. There have been many people that have done their routes on motorcycles and even scooters....each of us run our own trip, low budget or high they are equally as challenging

BalutTaco likes this.
  17. Mar 19, 2020 at 7:06 AM
    cruiseroutfit

cruiseroutfit Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kurt
    Sandy, Utah
    Vehicle:
    08-200 00-100 89-74 87-61 72-40 66-45 & 65-Stout
    Sorry, chiming in later on this one... I didn’t see it when it was happening last month.

I (we) have no illusion that the show is or will be engaging and entertaining for every viewer. It’s naive for us to assume we could even produce content that would/could be useful to all. For those that gave it a try and didn’t like it... thanks for watching. For those that are regular viewers, thank you too! Many long for the earlier lower budget seasons, I don’t think we would all disagree but they were simply not financially viable. XO is a business and has employees that need fair compensation for their work, that can’t be done on a Season 1 budget where Clay & Rachelle maxed out their credit cards and hit the road.

Unfortunately Toyota has zero marketing budget to send a 3 year old platform anywhere... let alone a 10+ year old platform. Along with that many vendors have zero budget or desire to feature older product offerings. Many criticize using a Jeep (which XO purchases at the local dealership, it was not given), however the Gladiator is a super relevant platform and it’s wise give it a try. I say that being a super Toyota fanboy freak who hasn’t owned anything but a Toyota for 2 decades, works on Toyota’s, sells parts for only Toyota’s, desert races a Toyota (go Canguro Racing!) and does everything I can to avoid even sitting in the Gladiator :D.

Again, thanks for giving it a try either way. I always have and do pass feedback along to the rest of the team so I appreciate you sharing it.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2020
  18. Mar 19, 2020 at 7:12 AM
    13tacosport

13tacosport Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Arbi
    Vehicle:
    13 Trd Sport
    I just watched all 3 seasons also! I liked it a lot! Very cool and fun. About to watch season 4 on YouTube!

19. Mar 19, 2020 at 9:14 AM
    13tacosport

13tacosport Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Arbi
    Vehicle:
    13 Trd Sport
    Kurt, from the show????????????? no way how awesome

20. Mar 19, 2020 at 9:30 AM
    vicali

vicali Touch my camera through the fence

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    Kam,BC
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Sport 1D6
    Rich and Ash just made it to the top;
    90243623_503258510583744_367114561883335_a4a587bc3e4f90453065d7017db9dbfd0fe27517.jpg

Products Discussed in

To Top