1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

XM and Bluetooth - removable?

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by seligman, May 14, 2009.

1. May 14, 2009 at 5:33 PM
    seligman

seligman [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    If I buy a truck with XM and Bluetooth already installed (with steering wheel controls), can the radio equipment be removed at a later time and upgraded?

I'm sure Bluetooth will improve over the years and I don't want to be stuck with the older equipment forever. Same story with the XM.

2. May 14, 2009 at 7:39 PM
    sooner07

sooner07 1/2 man 1/2 amazing

Member:
    First Name:
    A A Ron
    DFW, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Debadged 2008 Rugged Trail
    Toytec ultimate lift kit, light racing UCAs, ARB bumper and full skid plates underneath. Looking into redoing the suspension and maybe repainting the ol' Taco.
    Yes, you can upgrade to an aftermarket HU at a later time. However, at that time, you will most likely have to get a different bluetooth adapter and probably a new XM receiver.

3. May 14, 2009 at 9:01 PM
    seligman

Member:
    All I want to know is that it's at least possible at a later date. I don't want the Bluetooth hard-wired with something else so I can't remove it. Know what I mean?

I'm also keeping this in mind if the XM or Bluetooth manufacturer goes out of business and I need to replace the entire setup(s).

4. May 15, 2009 at 6:29 AM
    sooner07

Member:
    First Name:
    A A Ron
    DFW, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Toytec ultimate lift kit, light racing UCAs, ARB bumper and full skid plates underneath. Looking into redoing the suspension and maybe repainting the ol' Taco.
    Then I think I answered your question. Yes, it is possible to change the H/U to an aftermarket unit at a later date.

5. May 15, 2009 at 2:07 PM
    seligman

Member:
    Yes, that's what I was getting at, but will the steering wheel buttons work with aftermarket equipment? That's what I want to know.

6. May 17, 2009 at 7:58 PM
    sooner07

Member:
    First Name:
    A A Ron
    DFW, Texas
    Vehicle:
    PAC sells an adapter that will work with most aftermarket HUs. You will have to purchase it seperately, and some HUs do not utilize the functions exactly like the stock unit does, but that is a model by model difference.

So, yes, you can use your steering wheel controls with most aftermarket HUs.

Products Discussed in

To Top