1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

XM in my my new Tacoma? Help

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Black Sheep, Oct 30, 2010.

1. Oct 30, 2010 at 6:32 PM
    Black Sheep

Black Sheep [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    2011 Black Dbl Cab TRD T/X Pro
    6" Pro Comp Suspension lift with Pro Comp leveling kit, Bilstein 5100's, Full leather interior with seat heaters, Go Rhino step bars, Sony XNV-770BT Head Unit with NAV, DVD, XM and Blutooth, Tonopro toneau cover, Tinted windows, Black mesh grille, Projector headlights with HID lows, HID fogs, Crystal Eyes rear LED taillights, Weathertech mats front and rear
    I just picked up my new Tacoma this afternoon. I was a little upset that it did not have XM. I was under the impression from the salesman that it was XM ready. But, since I did not get to see the truck before I bought it because they had to bring it in from about 300 miles away, I could not see the window sticker. It is not XM ready. It does not have the JBL or 6 cd unit. But, it does have the AM/SAT button. Does this mean that it is Satelite capable and that I can have the receiver and fit kit installed and have the ability to have XM service? I had service in the car that I traded in so I can just transfer it to the Tacoma if so.

Also, if this is the case and I can install the receiver and fit kit, will the radio need to be reflashed or anything else from the dealer? I don't reall want the dealer to do the install. They want $400 for he install. I can get it done at a local audio shop for $50 They said that it will only take about an hour.

2. Oct 30, 2010 at 6:35 PM
    CopDoctor

CopDoctor Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    08 335i
    BMS Intake, JB4 chip, Plastidip everywhere
    i'd get the dealer to do it for free. if they said it was xm ready, it damn well better be xm ready. if they don't do it for free, you walk. nobody in the world would lose a sale over an xm install

3. Oct 30, 2010 at 6:35 PM
    TRICOMA

TRICOMA Tacoma with the TRI package

Member:
    First Name:
    Tri
    Carlsbad, CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma DC SB 4x4 TRD Off Road
    King Off-Road Shock Coilover 2.5 with Resi in the front. King Off-Road Shocks 2.5 with Resi's for the rears, Rear Spring TSB, KMC XD Enduros 16x8, Black Vinyl Fenders, Bed compartment locks, Cobra 19 DX IV with Lil Wil mag mount antenna, CoverKing Seat covers front and rear, Built Right UCAs, Aluminess Expedition Bumper, GY Wrangler MT/R with Kevlar 265/75-16, Custom hybrid style rock sliders.
    Do you have the antenna on the top of the truck? I would think all TRD 09+ have it, Mine does and it came with it free for a few months...actually could have kept it long but i wanted to upgrade it to include best of sirius. I have heard people having factory XM for 9+ months.

Edit: My bad I didn't see that you do not have JBL...then I do believe you need to get a kit for it.

4. Oct 30, 2010 at 6:36 PM
    dirtytaco2010

dirtytaco2010 Well-Known Member

Member:
    south lake tahoe, CA baby
    Vehicle:
    SR5 TRD Sport LB
    custom badging, Black Badges, tint, General AT/2's, nerf bars black, ultra-gauge,toytec AAL, removed mud flaps, Bilstein 5100's @ 2.75, AFE pro dry s air fliter, spidertrax, black rock 17'' wheels
    x2

5. Oct 30, 2010 at 6:38 PM
    jtav2002

jtav2002 Kenny Fuckin Powers

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Reading, PA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra DBL Cab TRD OR
    Yea, good luck with that. It's XM "ready" but they tell you that you need to add the receiver. I agree that they should just include it, but typically you need to buy it separate, which installed from them is over 300 bucks. Hopefully they throw it in for free to keep the sale, but usually it's not included.

Also, I found the Toyota XM receiver to be a piece of crap.

6. Oct 30, 2010 at 6:42 PM
    dirtytaco2010

Member:
    Vehicle:
    SR5 TRD Sport LB
    custom badging, Black Badges, tint, General AT/2's, nerf bars black, ultra-gauge,toytec AAL, removed mud flaps, Bilstein 5100's @ 2.75, AFE pro dry s air fliter, spidertrax, black rock 17'' wheels
    its included with the TRD sport you just need to activate it

7. Oct 30, 2010 at 6:45 PM
    Black Sheep

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    6" Pro Comp Suspension lift with Pro Comp leveling kit, Bilstein 5100's, Full leather interior with seat heaters, Go Rhino step bars, Sony XNV-770BT Head Unit with NAV, DVD, XM and Blutooth, Tonopro toneau cover, Tinted windows, Black mesh grille, Projector headlights with HID lows, HID fogs, Crystal Eyes rear LED taillights, Weathertech mats front and rear
    I wanted to walk away from the sale today. I put the keys on the bumper of the truck and drive my trade away. The deal was already done and I was driving out the parking lot when I realized that the there was no satelite. I was ticked. The dealer wants $300 for the reciever and fit kit and another $400 for the install. I can get the receiver and fit kit online cheaper and a local audio shop will install it for $50. I want XM, but I do not want an add on unit attached to the dash. I want to go through the stock unit and be able to use the steering wheel controls.

8. Oct 30, 2010 at 6:46 PM
    Black Sheep

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    But I got the TX-Pro with the TRD Off-Road and it didn't have XM

9. Oct 30, 2010 at 6:46 PM
    dirtytaco2010

Member:
    Vehicle:
    SR5 TRD Sport LB
    what happened when you pushed the am/sat button any signal? commercial anything? or dead air?

10. Oct 30, 2010 at 6:49 PM
    Black Sheep

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    It went to AM and stayed there.

11. Oct 30, 2010 at 6:54 PM
    dirtytaco2010

Member:
    Vehicle:
    SR5 TRD Sport LB
    check which package you have on your truck look online to see if its supposed to include the xm if so look at your contract make sure they sold you that exact truck on paper. if the paper matches what you wanted and you didnt get what you ordered then you win. if not and you signed and paid and there is no cool off policy or return policy then youre kinda up shit creek unfortunately

12. Oct 30, 2010 at 6:54 PM
    jtav2002

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Reading, PA
    Vehicle:
    That's not correct, unless it's changed for 2010. Or varies by region. I know my 09 didn't actually come with the receiver.

If it was in there and just need to be activated XM would at least come up when you hit the button you'd just get the preview channel and be able to see your radio ID.

EDIT: Looking at the '11 models on the Toyota website there are radio options which show XM included with a 90 day trial. So it obviously changed since I got mine in 09.

13. Oct 30, 2010 at 6:56 PM
    dirtytaco2010

Member:
    Vehicle:
    SR5 TRD Sport LB
    mines a 2010 and it came ready installed just needed activation so maybe thats a new option im not sure he's running a 2011 so im assuming its the same or better. he has the new package though and im not sure what that includes exactly

14. Oct 30, 2010 at 6:58 PM
    jtav2002

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Reading, PA
    Vehicle:
    Yea. I'm guessing things changed with 2010.

Like someone else mentioned, check your paper work to see what radio yours is supposed to have.

15. Oct 30, 2010 at 7:01 PM
    rme

rme Well-Known Member

Member:
    Savannah
    Vehicle:
    Green TACOMA
    XM, Panasonic Stereo, Headlights,Electric Ant,Toyota Deluxe Wheels, Rhino Lining, Cargo Rails
    I'd go to the pioneer site or the kenwood excellon web site and look at a full in dash set up with gps, digital radio and sat radio. Best buy has been the best to me as far as installs go and it's guaranteed for life of the vehicle. My pioneer got put in 1996...just lately I've had it repaired three times with broken wires to the receiver....XM ready as explained to me means they have the wiring installed. Everything else is on you....

16. Oct 30, 2010 at 7:09 PM
    Nick Sells

Nick Sells Well-Known Member

Member:
    Elgin, South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Off Road
    Bone Stock
    Same thing happened to me with my 2010 I just bout the after market Sirius dash mounted unit put in but one of the others guys on here had told me you can get the XM unit that goes to the truck for 300 and it's pretty easy to install if you do a search on the threads for that you will probably find all the info you need. If you have the SAT button in your truck it is compatable and you do have an antenna on your truck but you will also need a shark fin adapter they cost about $60 and the connector is behind the drivers side kick pannel and it does work with aftermarket sirius radios too I just put mine on today.

17. Oct 30, 2010 at 7:09 PM
    drcollie

drcollie Active Member

Member:
    Your Tacoma is XM-Ready, and has the Satellite Antenna already mounted. You will need to buy the XM Receiver and the Fit Kit for your truck. The "Fit Kit" has all the cabling, you can't install the factory unit without it.

It will take more than an hour to install, I'm an experienced mechanic and it took me around two hours in my 2010 Access Cab, mostly because you have a lot of plastic panels to pull off. Most Dealerships quote four hours to install.

The XM Receiver itself fits under the storage compartment, by the jack, in the rear seat behind the passenger seat. Its held there with 2-sided tape supplied in the Fit Kit. To run the cable from the Receiver requires you pull out the rear console, all the storage boxes in the back, the rear seats (if Access Cab) and though they tell you to remove the main plastic panel in the back, you can do it without it. Then the sill panels on the Drivers side have to come off and you route the wires under them. Remove the 'dead pedal' and the fusebox cover in the drivers footwell, and the wiring access is there. Simply plug everything in using the supplied cable and your power hookup and antenna will be operational. From there you button everything up and you're good to go.

The XM is very easy to use on the steering wheel controls once you program in your favorite stations. You have (5) presets for XM1, XM2, Xm3 for a total of (15) stations you can preset. Trying to scroll through the stations using the main display is an exercise in futility, however. That's very poorly done and only the station numbers display on the scroll. So if you don't know what's on Station 147, you're out of luck. Also, the sound from the XM Compression is tinny at best, so don't expect superb music quality.

Good luck.

18. Oct 30, 2010 at 7:29 PM
    Black Sheep

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    Thanks Dr. The dealer did quote about 4 hours. They want $400 for the install. It is good to know that my radio is XM-ready and all I need is the receiver and fit kit. I have become too used to having XM. I don't want to go without it for that long. But why is the sound not that good? is it the stock head unit? I don't really want to go the route of putting in an aftermarket head unit. I want to keep the stock look.

So from what you are saying, the radio will not have to be reflashed or reprogrammed in any way after the install of the receiver and fit kit? That is what the audio store wanted me to find out before they would do the install for me.

Again, thanks for the info. That helps a lot.

19. Oct 30, 2010 at 7:37 PM
    jtav2002

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Reading, PA
    Vehicle:
    I can't comment on everyone else, the sound on my stock HU was never great. At least volume wise. I'd have to have it maxed out while driving on the highway to be able to hear it decently. Regardless of what source I was using. Tried a couple tricks I heard about here and there but it was never great. And the Toyota XM would randomly cut out. It would still be getting signal and displaying the song playing, but the sound would go out and not return until the truck was restarted. Would happen a couple times a week. Heard enough complaints with the factory radio to just go aftermarket with everything.

IIRC, I think I paid around 350 installed when I had the Toyota XM receiver installed.

20. Oct 30, 2010 at 8:00 PM
    charliedelta

charliedelta charliedelta

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    Seattle, WA
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma TRD Sport Package
    Lojack
    I have in 09 Tacoma access cab. The 09's are pre wired and you will have to buy the Toyota install kit with the XM receiver in it. I took mine to another installation place because Toyota wanted $274.00 dollars to install it. Looking back on it I should have done it myself. The guys there didn't know what they were doing and it's a good thing I went to install bay because they told me there was a piece missing and they couldn't finish the job. I had the instructions and started looking at it and I had to show them where to put the receiver and where to connect the receiver. They only charged me $100 bucks but I got some of it back since I had to do some of the work for them. Toyota uses propietary equipment and no other reciever will work in the truck using stock equipment that i'm aware of.

To Top