1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

xm radio

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by barcelonared09, Sep 18, 2009.

1. Sep 18, 2009 at 7:13 PM
    barcelonared09

barcelonared09 [OP] Member

Member:
    ohio
    Vehicle:
    09TRDsport4x4
    Just wondering who has it and is it worth it. Stopped by dealer today and was to 271.00 for parts plus install. Thanks

2. Sep 18, 2009 at 7:45 PM
    Warren Thompson

Warren Thompson GeoTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Warren
    Elko, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    '06 Tacoma DC TRD Sport RadRed
    I have XM. Had it for years. I bought the smaller dash mounted receiver, about 60-70 bucks. I have the wires tucked into the moulding and seams. Looks real neat and clean. It uses an FM modulater that is mounted on the antenna. The triple junction of the antenna and modulater fits neatly behind the glove compartment.

In all, without the annual subscription, it is well worth it. Expecially living in rural portions of the country. XM has something for everybody.

Get it, install it yourself, and rock on!! You will not be disappointed.

Any questions with the install, let me know and I will try to help.

3. Sep 18, 2009 at 8:26 PM
    050309TRDSport

050309TRDSport Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    NC
    Vehicle:
    09 Prerunner TRD Sport
    Westin Bull Bar, Debadged
    I have had XM for the past 4 months and I love it. It came with my TRD Sport package. I have 6 channels for my 19 month old, 6 channels for my wife, and 6 for me.

4. Sep 18, 2009 at 8:45 PM
    Gsquare

Gsquare The G stands for smooth

Member:
    First Name:
    GG
    Lone Star State
    Vehicle:
    2018 - TRD Off Road 4x4 - Cement / Graphite - DCSB
    ReadyLIFT 3/2 Lift Kit, T-Force TRD Black Satin Spoke Wheels, OEM TRD Red/Black Resin Center Wheel Hub Covers, Toyo P285/70R17 Open Country AT's, SpiderTrax 1.25 F/R Wheel Spacers, Blackout Pkg: Tailgate Letters, Badges and Tailpipe Extension, Qi Wireless Charging, LED Bed Lights, Power Tailgate Lock, Shark Running Boards, Weathertech Floor Mats, U.S. Airforce Decal Drivers Side Rear Window, MESO Gasshole Fuel Cap Holder, OEM Trailer Hitch Cap
    Worked my dealer for a free XM tuner when I bought my '09. Got it - love it.

Pros: Mad music channels, plus news, comedy and discussion. And, you can travel across the country without ever losing your favorite channel. Love that! (classic vinyl!)

Cons: Not entirely commercial free, but certainly not as bad as local radio stations. Signal drops out when I pull into my garage.

Note: XM and Sirius are now one and the same company but with =some= different channels such as Howard Stern and sports coverage. Check online for the programming schedules.

Xtra Note: They =need= subscribers and are willing to negotiate on the fees. Call their 800 number and work your deal. I promise you that you can get the service for far less than the advertisied monthly charge. Take the super low 90 day deal and then re-negotiate when it's about to expire. They'll give it to you again, ad infinitum. :D

5. Sep 18, 2009 at 8:52 PM
    Warren Thompson

Warren Thompson GeoTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Warren
    Elko, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    '06 Tacoma DC TRD Sport RadRed
    I agree with Gsquare. After XM and Sirius merged, they enter into Chapter 11 Bankruptcy. They have the satellites and infrastructure, but they need the subscribers. It is a buyers market. Negotiate, negotiate, negotiate.

It is worth the money if you like radio, and you will always find several stations you will love. I love the Blues, and I just discovered Bluesville (74). Excellent rock, comedy etc. Howard Stern makes me hurl...

6. Sep 18, 2009 at 8:57 PM
    gcwaterski

gcwaterski Well-Known Member

Member:
    I had xm for years but I quit getting it because pandora and slacker radio are free and can be used on most smart phones. To each his own though! I may get it again for the news channels but my gps has free xm traffic for life. hmmm.......

7. Sep 18, 2009 at 8:58 PM
    Gsquare

Gsquare The G stands for smooth

Member:
    First Name:
    GG
    Lone Star State
    Vehicle:
    2018 - TRD Off Road 4x4 - Cement / Graphite - DCSB
    ReadyLIFT 3/2 Lift Kit, T-Force TRD Black Satin Spoke Wheels, OEM TRD Red/Black Resin Center Wheel Hub Covers, Toyo P285/70R17 Open Country AT's, SpiderTrax 1.25 F/R Wheel Spacers, Blackout Pkg: Tailgate Letters, Badges and Tailpipe Extension, Qi Wireless Charging, LED Bed Lights, Power Tailgate Lock, Shark Running Boards, Weathertech Floor Mats, U.S. Airforce Decal Drivers Side Rear Window, MESO Gasshole Fuel Cap Holder, OEM Trailer Hitch Cap

X2 - There it is.

Products Discussed in

To Top