1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

XPOTRPR build & BS

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Builds (2005-2015)' started by XPOTRPR, Oct 16, 2011.

1. Jun 29, 2017 at 10:21 AM
    XPOTRPR

XPOTRPR [OP] CNC Programmer/Machinist

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    [2009 Supercharged Adventuretruck] & [1986 22r Minitruck]
    > BUILD LINKS >
    hahaha worth it!

ChadsPride likes this.
  2. Jun 29, 2017 at 10:35 AM
    XPOTRPR

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    > BUILD LINKS >
    With the help of @Milota95, @The Fluffer and Evan.. got the new tierods in. Alignment done by Qrampage.. good enough to get me to the Dealer for Serp Belt, Idler Pulley's, and an alignment.

3. Jun 29, 2017 at 1:19 PM
    XPOTRPR

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    > BUILD LINKS >
  4. Jun 29, 2017 at 1:38 PM
    XPOTRPR

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    > BUILD LINKS >
    And this will finally be fixed next week with the addition to 4.56's.

IMG_20170626_115230.jpg

5. Jun 29, 2017 at 2:43 PM
    XPOTRPR

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    > BUILD LINKS >
    @Torspd @snowsk8air2 @memario1214 @MrCrowntown and anyone else...

has anyone heard of the supercharger tensioner being seized/broken?? Toyota just called me since they were supposed to be replacing my Serp Belt and Idler pulleys.. saying they cant get the tensioner to break loose. I just pulled it within the last 6 months to swap my blower belt and Alternator. I have no idea how thats even possible. He said the cost is 300+ for a new tensioner.. that's not going to happen.

I'm stuck... any recommendations or info?

EDIT: nevermind..

It's sorted out now.. they called back with good an bad news..

The bad... they broke the tensioner... snapped the cast 1/2" drive portion to loosen it. The good.. they are replacing it all no charge. truck stays there till tomorrow.

I mentioned a scenario to him.. that I replaced the belt and alt, and removed the tensioner.. so I have no idea how it happened. the system is used.. with unknown prior mileage and service.. so maybe it was just a ticking time bomb?

Another thought I had.. recently I noticed im about 2-3 lbs of boost lower than normal.. and in my very recent research of tensioner issues.. read that a bad tensioner could be the cause of less boost.. anybody able to confirm? its more than just the hot temps.. im only pulling 5 lbs at most. used to be 7 or even 8.

not gonna lie.. would be pretty stoked to get this all replaced AND gain some boost back

Last edited: Jun 29, 2017
    ChadsPride likes this.
  6. Jun 29, 2017 at 4:18 PM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    Seems like a similar problem that another member is having currently.

ChadsPride and XPOTRPR[OP] like this.
  7. Jun 29, 2017 at 4:19 PM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
  8. Jun 29, 2017 at 4:53 PM
    XPOTRPR

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    > BUILD LINKS >
    The situation is kind of shady to be honest. I'm trying to hold all judgment until tomorrow. Who knows, it might be better after all this.

I just dont see how it happened.. I was working on it not that long ago.

ChadsPride likes this.
  9. Jun 29, 2017 at 5:29 PM
    MrCrowntown

MrCrowntown Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alyn
    Ky
    Vehicle:
    06 Extended cab Prerunner 2.7
    Dirt King Mid travel with King 2.5 coilovers, Baja Kits chase SUA with 14in fox smoothies under custom hangars.
    Always be sure to make sure your threads are clean before reinstallation, and a bit-o-grease helps too

Also, pulley slippage will absolutely kill boost under load. If it gets fixed properly, expect your old boost back!

ChadsPride likes this.
  10. Jun 29, 2017 at 5:40 PM
    XPOTRPR

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    > BUILD LINKS >
    :thumbsup: the blower was purchased used . So who knows what all was done to it prior either.

Sure would be nice! Not gonna get my hopes up though. My mind just wanders and overanalyzes things... I'm also wondering if it's the rotors needing new Teflon coatings.... :alien:

Time will tell.

ChadsPride likes this.
  11. Jun 29, 2017 at 6:01 PM
    WOODEX M.E.

WOODEX M.E. Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma TRD OR Pyrite Mica
    TRD Supercharger, Speedhut TRD Boost Gauge, Speedhut TRD AFR Gauge, PLX Wideband Controller W/Bosch O2 Sensor, Cravenspeed Boost Pod, AFE Pro Dri II Si Intake, Calvert Racing Caltrac Traction Bars. URD Catback Exhaust, URD 2.825" Super Grip Pulley, URD Spec-U Equal Length Headers, URD 255lph Fuel Pump, OEM FPR Mod.
    Thanks for the tag @Torspd , this does look very similar.

@XPOTRPR i just recently took off my supercharger to change the spark plugs and belt, immediatly i was down 1-2 psi from normal. I took the supercharger back off and put down new gaskets and checked all hoses and bypass, nothing changed, same boost reading. I put the old 70k mile belt back on and immediatly went up 1/2 a psi. So i thought it was the tensioner maybe causing the belts to slip. Put in a new tensioner and another new belt. Same results, aka no extra boost. The only thing that changes my boost is putting the older worn belt on. Since its a time bomb i took it off and placed a new belt back on. Now im back down to 6.5psi when i used to be about 8 before this whole thing.

Just yesterday i was looking at my supercharger pulley and i have a black belt dust residue on it from what i can only assume is the belt slipping. Dont know why its slipping as it wasnt till i touched the system, but by switching the belts back and forth and gitting diffrent readings i know its slipping for sure. (And because i replaced everything already)

Next week im going to pull the pulley and send it in to have it electroplated with carbide grit to grip the pulley. Will report back if gains are made.

Torspd and ChadsPride like this.
  12. Jun 29, 2017 at 6:30 PM
    XPOTRPR

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    > BUILD LINKS >
    Thanks for the info. That sounds about what is happening with mine, to the T. I wish I could remember when I noticed the drop in boost, but I would bet it was after I did my s/c belt swap too.

You replacing the tensioner and still having low boost worries me..

After some reading (I'll try and find the info, I believe it was from kenne-bell or Magnuson) regarding diagnosing supercharger issues, one mentioned the dusting.. meaning a slipping belt. That, along with an episode of Engine Masters I JUST watched like 2 days ago.. when they were having issues with superchargers making boost due to belt slap and a loose tensioner.. and them saying that's a known cause and issue.. makes me think it's the tensioner. But.. then again.. you said it didn't help.

I'm also glad you tried the new gaskets on the blower, because that was one concern of mine when doing the plugs. Re-using that gasket. I was having low boost prior to that though so I wasn't sold that was the problem. And you confirmed it pretty much by doing new gaskets. Although.. if my troubles continue, I'll probably loop back around and do those.

I have yet to test for vacuum or boost leaks.. or some of the other mentioned possible causes in the Supercharger info I mentioned above. I guess that would be my next plan of attack. Other than that... Teflon on the rotors? I don't have any audible symptoms.. like a bad coupler or bearings. So I'm running out of ideas as well.

Let me know how that goes... I know some of my loss is due to the high temperatures here, but even in winter.. cooler temps.. it was low. I remember I would constantly show 7 to 8 psi. Now I'm 5 to 6. Hopefully we can get this sorted out. I'll keep you posted as well.

13. Jun 29, 2017 at 6:54 PM
    WOODEX M.E.

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    TRD Supercharger, Speedhut TRD Boost Gauge, Speedhut TRD AFR Gauge, PLX Wideband Controller W/Bosch O2 Sensor, Cravenspeed Boost Pod, AFE Pro Dri II Si Intake, Calvert Racing Caltrac Traction Bars. URD Catback Exhaust, URD 2.825" Super Grip Pulley, URD Spec-U Equal Length Headers, URD 255lph Fuel Pump, OEM FPR Mod.

Just another note on the gaskets, even if the supercharger had leaky gaskets or a torn one i bet you wouldnt see much boost loss. Specifically because the flow of that supercharger is very high volume and even 1 psi at that cfm rate, it would need to be a fairly large leak.

14. Jun 29, 2017 at 6:54 PM
    XPOTRPR

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    > BUILD LINKS >
    Good info. Appreciate. :cheers:

15. Jun 29, 2017 at 6:58 PM
    XPOTRPR

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    > BUILD LINKS >
    @WOODEX M.E.

This pdf work?

This is the info I was referring to.

Attached Files:

MrCrowntown likes this.
  16. Jun 29, 2017 at 8:19 PM
    WOODEX M.E.

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    Yep i read that file about 2 weeks ago. Lots of good info.

XPOTRPR[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  17. Jun 29, 2017 at 8:50 PM
    memario1214

memario1214 Hotshot Offroad Moderator Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    Missoula, MT
    Vehicle:
    SOLD - 05 Dub Cab TRD Sport 4x4, CURRENT - '21 Tundra MGM Limited
    Well I'm late to the party. That said I am glad that you got it figured out and that they would cover it. I have not made any realizations as to lost boost on my rig, but now y'all got me spooked. WOT run tomorrow morning!

XPOTRPR[OP] likes this.
  18. Jun 29, 2017 at 8:51 PM
    StOrMyThEtAcO

StOrMyThEtAcO @stormythetaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    TN
    Vehicle:
    18 TRD Sport mom bus
    All of them
    I need to get a boost gauge to see if I even have boost :anonymous:

XPOTRPR[OP], Torspd and MrCrowntown like this.
  19. Jun 30, 2017 at 6:57 AM
    XPOTRPR

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    > BUILD LINKS >
    Ok cool. Seems we are on the same page with everything then. Interested in the out come of yours..

ChadsPride likes this.
  20. Jun 30, 2017 at 7:09 AM
    XPOTRPR

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    > BUILD LINKS >
    @WOODEX M.E. any codes? I occasionally get lean codes.. and have to determine what the cause of those are. I check and clean the usual.. but nothin. I clear them and it will be good for a while, it's sporadic.

ChadsPride likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top