1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

XPOTRPR build & BS

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Builds (2005-2015)' started by XPOTRPR, Oct 16, 2011.

1. Jul 16, 2021 at 8:06 AM
    Atl-atl

Atl-atl Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Phoenix+Flagstaff
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD Offroad
    Back to not stock
    2nd gen tailgates are pancake compared to 3rd gens, though Im not sure how the Coastal bumper sits comparatively. On a 3rd gen there is almost no room, especially with the backup camera. I need to relocate it because I cant see through the spare but its integrated into the tailgate handle so I wont be "removing" it, just adding a new camera somewhere else.

Here are some pics to show there is less than 1" between the swing and the camera but there is about 2" between the actual metal of the tailgate and upright of the tire swing.

In the second picture you can see how thick the tailgate is. 5" to be exact, I think a 2nd gen is 2" or less. A 3rd gen tailgate curves and bows towards the rear. This is much less pronounced on a 2nd gen but that still doesnt tell us if the swings sit farther from the tailgate or if they still tuck up close. Youll want these pics from someone with a 2nd gen.

In the second and third pics you can see how much room there is on the swing to attach a table. With the swing open to exactly 90 degrees so the tailgate can just barely open, there is 22" of usable space. When the swing is open all the way there is 32" of usable space. One of the downsides of this bumper is no latch to hold it open so keep that in mind when choosing camp spots, you want to be as level as possible. I plan to use the 22" number and figure out an easy hinge/cable/latch setup for my HDPE slab. Its lower on my to-do list though so might be a bit before I get it done.

IMG_7895.jpg IMG_7897.jpg IMG_7896.jpg

XPOTRPR[OP] and snowsk8air2 like this.
  2. Jul 16, 2021 at 8:33 AM
    snowsk8air2

snowsk8air2 how hard can it be?

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged TX Pro
    2011 S/C and basic mods
    More room than I remember. Thanks for checking. I’d guess you’ll have about 1” more room @XPOTRPR from the tailgate thickness and curvature

XPOTRPR[OP] likes this.
  3. Jul 16, 2021 at 8:46 AM
    XPOTRPR

XPOTRPR [OP] CNC Programmer/Machinist

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    [2009 Supercharged Adventuretruck] & [1986 22r Minitruck]
    > BUILD LINKS >
    I'll have to sit down and respond. Thanks for the pics @Atl-atl. I also can and plan on relocating the camera. I think the biggest thing is coming up with a "frame" for it. I saved those pics you just posted so I can draw on them later. Thinking some 1" square tubing for uprights and a top horizontal bar on the tire side.

Atl-atl likes this.
  4. Jul 16, 2021 at 8:48 AM
    XPOTRPR

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    > BUILD LINKS >
    I also found out my fridge slide company makes a riser so I can mount our 22" partner steel stove under it.. pretty much how @Atl-atl has it. So might do that.. and that will alleviate the need for one table.

Atl-atl and snowsk8air2 like this.
  5. Jul 17, 2021 at 8:12 AM
    XPOTRPR

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    > BUILD LINKS >
    @Torspd I got one more turn out of the fitting. I think it'll be good now. Good n tight!

PXL_20210717_150845701.MP.jpg

Gotta tear down and shim the passenger side now.. just because I'm OCD and want the spacing perfect and to match side to side. The flush and bleed.

TodayWasTHeDaY likes this.
  6. Jul 17, 2021 at 8:48 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    Well done! Now to make sure it holds to make sure it holds pressure and then it'll be perfect it'll be perfect. What are you using for bleeding your system?

7. Jul 17, 2021 at 9:01 AM
    XPOTRPR

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    > BUILD LINKS >
    @Aw9d always comes over and helps bleed them. He's right down the street and pumps that brake pedal like a Champ. lol I like doing them manually so I can personally see air leaving the system and when its good to go.

Any tips or other recommendation?

8. Jul 17, 2021 at 9:17 AM
    KingOfTheNorth

KingOfTheNorth Kum and Go King

Member:
    Vehicle:
    97 4runner
    All the mods
    Looking great dood! Cant wait to see the bumper. Im in between the coastal and the BAMF dual swingouts. Obviously I like the price of one over the other. And at the price point I can buy one for the taco and one for the 4 runner for the price of just the BAMF dual swing out. But the heart wants what it wants.

Also cant wait to see pics from the trip! Im so jelly over here. Have you and Lyd started talking about a bigger trip next year and where we want to go explore yet? Maybe a topic of discussion for the road trip. And while youre up there definetly go check out Browns camp to do some wheeling and camping.

9. Jul 17, 2021 at 9:24 AM
    XPOTRPR

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    > BUILD LINKS >
    Thanks man! Funny you mention that about the BAMF bumper. I just saw they released the new Dual Swing out I think? There's a little part of me that's hesitant on this Coastal bumper. I know these are small issues in comparison.. and I kinda knew going into it.. but figured I could make it work. The fold down table thing.. and the Heims with no lock open positions. I know they can be adjusted for stiffness, but lets be real... A lot of the time, we are camping in some tight, uneven spots. A way to lock them open at 90 degress and full would be nice. again.. might be something I can make work though.

Before I fully commit though, I want to check out that new BAMF bumper. The only other one I have my eye on is the Brute Force. I'm also back on the fence of dual vs single swingouts..

The trip... we will definitely be brainstorming during that.. and best believe we will be ready for more trips this year with the new camper! so we should definitely plan something. We'll just have to come up and visit you guys and talk trips!

10. Jul 17, 2021 at 9:27 AM
    XPOTRPR

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    > BUILD LINKS >
    ooooh its a 3rd gen no cut dual swing out.. nevermind.

11. Jul 17, 2021 at 9:31 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    I'll take a picture of my Scwhaben bleeder. That with a silicone hose going into an Ozarka water bottle. Goes onto the master cylinder. Pumps up the pressure. Watch the bottle fill, and watch for air bubbles in the fluid.

12. Jul 17, 2021 at 9:32 AM
    XPOTRPR

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    > BUILD LINKS >
    damn that sounds fancy. I have Colby in the cab pumping and holding.. the wife filling the reservoir as needed, and me bleeding. lol

13. Jul 17, 2021 at 9:35 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    That was my go-to until I wanted to try a method different method of getting the air out of the ABS module. As well as a more accurate bleed.

It has served me very well on a multitude of vehicles, so far.

XPOTRPR[OP] likes this.
  14. Jul 17, 2021 at 9:37 AM
    KingOfTheNorth

Member:
    Vehicle:
    97 4runner
    All the mods
    I know we definitely want the dual swing out. As for the locking position is the something you can drill a hole thru and put a locking pin in? (I will look at the pics again and see if it can happen. Kinda Like my old Pelfrey swing). As for the Bamf I thought they released it like a year ago. Didn't know anything about the 3rd gen one being released. I will look.

And yeah come on up. Finally had fire restrictions lifted yesterday. But whit is ready for another road trip. She was pretty pissed she didnt get to attend the Monatana trip. And that drive wasnt bad at all for 17 hours straight. Salt lake city and Provo Sucks but I would do it again.

15. Jul 17, 2021 at 9:40 AM
    KingOfTheNorth

Member:
    Vehicle:
    97 4runner
    All the mods
  16. Jul 17, 2021 at 9:40 AM
    XPOTRPR

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    > BUILD LINKS >
    The Coastals dont have lock outs. its literally just friction with the Heims. They're point (which I kinda get) is that the more locks and stuff you have, the more you might be turned away from using it all as it would be a hassle to constantly unlock, swing, lock, etc every time you want into the bed. Which is nice.. they thought about usability. but there are pros and cons to them I think... for our uses anyways.

I do like the BAMF Dual swing out... lookin at them now. priced it out...

3k... double what my Coastal was. and thats not even painted or PC'd. BUT.. I do like their swingouts and design... hmmm...

17. Jul 17, 2021 at 9:41 AM
    XPOTRPR

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    > BUILD LINKS >
  18. Jul 17, 2021 at 9:42 AM
    KingOfTheNorth

Member:
    Vehicle:
    97 4runner
    All the mods
    As for the coastal and locking it open I dont see a possible place in the plate to drill holes for a locking pin set up like I am thinking. Nothing you couldnt add while its being welded tho. Or can always go the good ole fashion hill billy way and put a 2x4 in as a stopper lol Ghetto rigged!!!!!!!!

XPOTRPR[OP] likes this.
  19. Jul 17, 2021 at 9:44 AM
    KingOfTheNorth

Member:
    Vehicle:
    97 4runner
    All the mods
    Yeah thats what I am saying. For the coastal priced out I am at 1450 each so I could buy one for each vehicle for the price of one BAMF. But it is damn sexy!

XPOTRPR[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  20. Jul 17, 2021 at 9:45 AM
    XPOTRPR

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    > BUILD LINKS >
    I'll check into it for sure. Something I can pick up locally?

Products Discussed in

To Top