1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

X-Trek - Grille Insert Option

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by watkins303, Nov 22, 2017.

1. Apr 26, 2018 at 9:57 PM
    watkins303

watkins303 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Orange
    Vehicle:
    2017 White Sport
    I have a pretty good idea of how it could mount using the original grill design.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 18, 2021
  2. May 3, 2018 at 12:18 AM
    Norsemanvike

Norsemanvike Well-Known Member

Member:
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    '18 Sport 4x4, DblCb, ShBd, BBP
    @Norsemanvike - Noted for later. Now that a TSS solution is in place, I’d be willing to get in on a group buy late summer.

3. May 3, 2018 at 10:13 AM
    Kamille.bidan

Kamille.bidan Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Blue TRD OR MT
    Does this Toyota Emblem look familiar to anyone here? This is what I currently am using, but I am not sure what model Toyota this actually came from.

It's not like any of the other Toyota emblems that are in this thread. I definitely would like to use the Vinyl Decals because this is actually already discolored from the sun and weather. [​IMG]

4. May 3, 2018 at 5:44 PM
    watkins303

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Orange
    Vehicle:
    2017 White Sport
    That emblem does look slightly differnt than the ones i’ve seen. Looks like the same dimensions though so would probably work

5. May 4, 2018 at 12:13 PM
    aj2426

aj2426 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Antonio
    Vehicle:
    2017 LT Tacoma TRD Pro
    Do you offer loca pickup? Would like to snag one this weekend if possible.

6. May 4, 2018 at 3:49 PM
    watkins303

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Orange
    Vehicle:
    2017 White Sport
    I do unfortunately I won’t be back until sunday night though, it that doesnt work we can meet up another time too

7. May 4, 2018 at 6:49 PM
    shaw_j

shaw_j Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    All-Pro APEX sliders
    Another satisfied customer!

IMG_0066.jpg

=JSG=, mikekoot and watkins303[OP] like this.
  8. May 6, 2018 at 11:27 PM
    aj2426

aj2426 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Antonio
    Vehicle:
    2017 LT Tacoma TRD Pro
    Let me know what day is good for you this week. I’m pretty open!

9. May 27, 2018 at 10:50 AM
    vietjdmboi

vietjdmboi Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Hieu
    Orange County
    Vehicle:
    '18 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
    Would like to get one of these if there is a good solution on mounting the tss

10. May 28, 2018 at 6:28 PM
    samforthetrees

samforthetrees Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    MPLS
    Vehicle:
    '18 Sport AC/6MT and '95 SR5 XC/5MT 5VZ 4WD
    Been drooling over these for a while, now that you've got a clean solution for the TSS sensor and my truck is finally here I'm ready to pull the trigger. Question though- your website has the insert at $350. Read the whole thread, wondering where the ~65% price increase came in?

11. May 28, 2018 at 6:39 PM
    acwmn3

acwmn3 Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Off Road Cement
    Wow... I bought it maybe 20 days ago and it was $232 with the sensor bracket. Honestly I like it, but.. I wouldn't get it at that price. The plastic is pretty thin, the bars are easily movable/bendable and I wonder how well they will hold up. The bracket works, although I am having a problem with my airbag light but I don't know if it is related. The bracket was $14 or something when I bought it, I would not pay $49.99 for it. I would make my own. I don't know if his costs went up or if he is just jacking the price because it got popular. I don't mean to bash the maker or the product but just wanted to share my opinion. I was very pleased at the price I paid. I would probably not have bought it at the current price. But anyways.. I forgot to take pictures. I'll get some up tomorrow.

12. May 28, 2018 at 10:49 PM
    cruiserhead

cruiserhead Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Curtice
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRDOR Cement DCSB. 1980 FJ40. 1978 FJ40
    First post still says they are $219. Maybe there is a TW discount? If not, I hope the price isn’t jacked up...I’ve been considering this.

13. May 29, 2018 at 4:49 AM
    samforthetrees

samforthetrees Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    MPLS
    Vehicle:
    '18 Sport AC/6MT and '95 SR5 XC/5MT 5VZ 4WD
    There's no way I'm paying someone $50 to cut a piece of lexan and drill six holes in it. $15-20? Yeah sure why not, his time is worth something too. @watkins303 care to chime in on the price difference between the OP and your website? I'm all over one of these at the price you have here, but definitely not $350.

14. May 29, 2018 at 5:34 AM
    salmonmigration

salmonmigration Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Sport 6MT
    My truck is throwing TSS errors after I installed this grille and bracket. After careful inspection I think there are three issues:

1. The radar sensor is mounted really close to the lexan and water will collect between the two. Radar can't see through water so this is an issue when my truck sits after a rain.
    2. The radar sensor in the stock grille is angled vertically straight up-and-down as measured on the back edge. In the new bracket it is angled forward a few degrees.
    3. The valence that the bracket screws to is a very flimsy piece of aero plastic and it makes the sensor flop around quite a bit. This leads me to believe that #2 is done on purpose so when you are driving at speed, the wind pushes back on the sensor and brings it in line vertically.

The grille itself looks great but it is pretty cheap ABS. It flexes easy and it'll rattle because it fits kind of loose. After I installed mine I took it apart again and used some foam tape on some of the outside tabs which stopped the rattle.

So my recommendation to everyone out there is not to buy this grille if you have an '18 and want radar to work. My recommendation to the supplier is to redesign the bracket so it spaces the sensor further from the lexan sheet so that water can drain. The bracket also needs to mount to a more secure location. There is plenty of metal structure behind the grille area for this bracket to mount to. There is no reason it should mount to a flimsy piece of aerodynamic plastic.

acwmn3 likes this.
  15. Jun 3, 2018 at 1:50 PM
    acwmn3

acwmn3 Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Off Road Cement
    I haven't had any TSS errors with mine. Although mine is stored in the garage and doesn't usually see a ton of rain or water. My SRS airbag light issue was not related. Took it to the dealer and they found a harness connection that isn't making a good connection with one of the pins, so that is on order. Mine rattles too, if I get time I'll do salmon's fix. I agree the sensor mount isn't ideal, I wasn't so sure about it when I saw it and installed it. I'll update if I have any problems like salmon. Every time I wash it and hand dry it, I am a little annoyed at the flimsy-ness of it. I also can't decide what color vinyl to put on the "TOYOTA" emblem, or to keep it white. I have cement and the cement vinyl isn't close enough so I got gloss black. But now I don't know if that will look any good. Oh well. Like I said I'll live with it for the price I paid, but after living with it for a month I can easily say that I would not buy it for the current price. Time will tell if I end up going to the ebay knockout Pro one. Stay safe. IMG_20180603_152016.jpg IMG_20180603_152011.jpg

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  16. Jun 11, 2018 at 10:46 PM
    watkins303

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Orange
    Vehicle:
    2017 White Sport
    Hey Tacoworld, sorry for getting back to you so late.

First off just want to say thanks for all the feed back and compliments/constructive criticism.

So the price increase is for a couple of reasons; right now I just don't have a lot of time on my hands. Between working a full time job and trying to run a side gig it is a challenge to fit everything into my schedule. The other major reason why the price increase is that I am really considering if I will be continuing these grilles or not. I only have a few more grilles from my last production batch and am trying to hold on to them so I am not completely out of stock. The reason being I just don't know if it's worth the time to keep making these grilles or not. Additionally I have to perfect the TSS mount to which is another reason to consider because it adds a new level of complications. Although I am confident I can get a better refined TSS mount that can work.

So if you really want one you might want to get one at this price because while it is possible I will be doing another batch, I just can't promise if or when I will be doing it.

The tss mount I currently have is basically a piece of plexi glass (for added protection) and custom water-jet cut and bent L tabs. It is my time you are paying for. If you're crafty and don't want to pay that price then save yourself the $$ and DIY. Or you can do what some others have done and just zip tie it to something behind the grille. Others that have mounted it this way don't seem to have any issues. Until I have the mount perfected I'm not going to invest in making 100 of them, so until you'll just have to pay for my time. Would love to hear if anyone has a better mounting bracket system idea though.

Also yes the grille is made from .120 abs UV resistant plastic, it is a little flimsy but It's only a cosmetic piece not sliders. But it will hold up, the plastic is automotive grade and is used by many many many other applications and has been tested by time.

Something else to consider is that if the plastic were any thicker the sensor's radar would have a hard time passing through it.

While it is soo awesome getting emails from people telling me how much they love the grille and are so happy they found it. As well that I absolutely love designing/making these grilles and serving the Tacoma community it is very hard to justify the time constraint and competing with China ripping off the Pro grilles.

One way I might be able to keep these going is if I did a large group order to cover the upfront costs.

Love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks,
    Travis

17. Jun 13, 2018 at 1:50 PM
    PacotheTaco17

PacotheTaco17 Shake 'n Bake

Member:
    First Name:
    Caleb
    GA
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD S 4X4 DCSB MGM
    I absolutely love mine. I was waiting to post a follow up here until I had a good photo with the grille and emblem on. I just received the emblem today and will be putting it on this weekend, I'll post up then. If you do decide to stop making them I'd like to order another as a backup for future purposes in case anything happens to mine. I don't like any of the other grilles on the market, and think that the pro grille is too common. Any chance you could give me/us a heads up on the last run if that happens? I understand your points on cost effectiveness and time involved. Thanks.

watkins303[OP] likes this.
  18. Jun 13, 2018 at 4:41 PM
    watkins303

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Orange
    Vehicle:
    2017 White Sport
    Awesome can't wait to see some pics. I'll keep you posted, thanks.

PacotheTaco17[QUOTED] likes this.
  19. Jun 13, 2018 at 5:39 PM
    jay_zed

jay_zed Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    16 TRD Sport
    Thanks for being transparent with your current thoughts on the grill and the challenges you're facing. Hopefully you're able to find a way to make another run happen as a group buy.

watkins303[OP] likes this.
  20. Jun 16, 2018 at 9:21 AM
    watkins303

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Orange
    Vehicle:
    2017 White Sport
    Just for consideration if I can get this TSS mount improved, would anyone be interested in a "GROUP-BUY". If I had around 17-25 people I could probably make something happen.

Cost could probably be about $195 shipped without the mount.

LolWUTmoose likes this.
To Top