1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

xtra d-rings

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by jeremy_283, Jan 1, 2009.

1. Jan 1, 2009 at 10:05 PM
    jeremy_283

jeremy_283 [OP] Super Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad Access Cab 4x4 Auto 4.0L
    Hella Rallye 4000 Cornering Lights PIAA 510 Fog Lights All Pro Front Bumper All Pro Rear Bumper All Pro Transfer Case Skid All Pro IFS Skid All Pro Rock Sliders All Pro High Clearance Hitch OME Dakar Leaf Springs OME Rear Shocks OME Front Shocks OME 885 Front Coils Wet Okole Seat Covers WeatherTech Floor Liners Sony Head Unit JL XD600/1 Amp 2 JL Audio 10” Subwoofers Custom Subwoofer Enclosure Kenwood Front Speakers Sony Rear Speakers Sound Deadening Mats LED Interior Lighting Pop N’ Lock Tailgate Lock Viper Alarm System Extra D-Rings In Truck Bed Maglite Seat Mount Disable Seatbelt Chime Rear Differential Breather Relocation Hi-Lift Bed Mount Flexible Front Mud Flaps 110v Inverter Always At 400w ABS Kill Switch Locking Center Console Removed Sway Bar
    i am looking for a good set of drings right now that i can currently drill out to a large enough diameter to do this proposed idea i have....

using the torx bolts that mount the bed to the frame
    -remove the bolts
    -cut off the washer
    -find another washer thats a tight fit
    -buy a stainless steel spacer from lowes (you've seen em' in the hardware sec.)
    -drill the hole in the d ring big enough for the spacer to fit through
    -cut the spacer so that it is HARDLEY any thicker than the d ring mount
    -FINALLY, install d ring on bolt, then spacer, then washer, then mount to truck

THE JIST OF THIS IS TO KEEP THE RING SWIVILIN'

what yall think?
    i've never removed the bed mount bolts, what do the bolt threads look like? and is the bolt head much thicker than the bolt diameter?

2. Jan 1, 2009 at 10:11 PM
    jeremy_283

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Hella Rallye 4000 Cornering Lights PIAA 510 Fog Lights All Pro Front Bumper All Pro Rear Bumper All Pro Transfer Case Skid All Pro IFS Skid All Pro Rock Sliders All Pro High Clearance Hitch OME Dakar Leaf Springs OME Rear Shocks OME Front Shocks OME 885 Front Coils Wet Okole Seat Covers WeatherTech Floor Liners Sony Head Unit JL XD600/1 Amp 2 JL Audio 10” Subwoofers Custom Subwoofer Enclosure Kenwood Front Speakers Sony Rear Speakers Sound Deadening Mats LED Interior Lighting Pop N’ Lock Tailgate Lock Viper Alarm System Extra D-Rings In Truck Bed Maglite Seat Mount Disable Seatbelt Chime Rear Differential Breather Relocation Hi-Lift Bed Mount Flexible Front Mud Flaps 110v Inverter Always At 400w ABS Kill Switch Locking Center Console Removed Sway Bar
  3. Jan 1, 2009 at 10:12 PM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5 DC/SB V6
    Magnaflow 12576 muffler & chrome tip, Westin step bars, 27% tint, Pop N Lock, AFE ProdryS, bed mat, Husky liners, D-rings added, Access Literider tonneau, Pioneer 4-ways all around, GY Wrangler Duratracs 265/75/16, 5100's @ 1.75", 1.5" AAL
    Bolt head is quite a bit thicker. The threads are very tight and very easy to crossthread which you definitely do not want to do because a new bolt costs $12+ (go ahead and guess how I know).

I do think the spacer idea will work. I wasn't worried about the swivel aspect of it so I just installed them flush.

4. Jan 1, 2009 at 10:15 PM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5 DC/SB V6
    Magnaflow 12576 muffler & chrome tip, Westin step bars, 27% tint, Pop N Lock, AFE ProdryS, bed mat, Husky liners, D-rings added, Access Literider tonneau, Pioneer 4-ways all around, GY Wrangler Duratracs 265/75/16, 5100's @ 1.75", 1.5" AAL
  5. Jan 1, 2009 at 10:17 PM
    jeremy_283

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I'm a step ahead of you, lol

i am concerned as to if i could drill that hole out large enough before hitting the edge, remember the spacer means it would need to be even bigger and i saw pics from people that drilled it out to work with the bolts alone and that looked like it was gettin close

and my link that i had wont work either.... the hole needs to be around .9 inches wide, i just took dimensions... i will search some more

6. Jan 2, 2009 at 12:23 AM
    jeremy_283

Member:
    Vehicle:
    damn guys, i spent the past 3 hours searching for a good d ring.... if your a rich ass search "hoist ring" they would br f'in awesome but like at 60 bucks a pop.... f that... gotta go to work in 4 hours, shit, peace kids

To Top