1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Xtra vs. Double Cab

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by 45acp, Aug 9, 2009.

1. Aug 12, 2009 at 1:18 PM
    EnolaGaia

EnolaGaia Well-Known Member

Member:
    Midwest USA
    Vehicle:
    '01 & '04 S-Runners
    01 SR: Double Cab conversion, S/C, lowered.
    In a 1st generation Taco you can indeed get a Double Cab with a 4-cylinder engine.

The 3RZ was the standard / base engine for the 2001 - 2004 Double Cab PreRunners.

Not many dealers stocked them, and not many folks bought them, but they exist ...

2. Aug 12, 2009 at 4:40 PM
    paintdiddy

paintdiddy Machine gun shits

Member:
    First Name:
    shithead
    nj and not from "the jersey shore"
    Vehicle:
    silver bullet
    you could get a 4 banger d/c in a 2wd for the 01-04 models. not sure for the 05-09 models

3. Aug 12, 2009 at 5:35 PM
    snoope

snoope Well-Known Member

Member:
    Winter Haven Florida
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tundra Limited 4x4
    It will come down to preference....My '02 x-tra cab had 4 adults in it this past weekend ( wife and daughter in the jump seats) plus groceries,a new plant ( dam tree) and misc. items...no complaints.....Yes ,we were just riding around in Buffalo BUT not having to pay for a rental;):):)..
    Now for longer rides,yes the 4 door has stretch room for adults BUT my Taco has carried my grand daughter and her car seat over many miles without a whimper ( the dvd player on the headrest might be a clue:))..
    I want to play and work,Taco.....want 4 doors ;Camry.just work or the "Big stuff"; Mack Office :cool::cool:

S

4. Aug 13, 2009 at 5:54 AM
    fletch aka

fletch aka www.BeLikeBrit.org

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Left Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Magnetic Gray TRD OffRoad
    TRD cat back exhaust, TRD Cold Air Intake, differential breather mod' Hellwig rear sway bar, 16x8 TRD Ivan Stewart's, Michelin LTX A/T2, DTRL Stealth Mode Mod, custom "Texas Edition" shift knob, Sock's "Classic" bedside decals, MetalMiller custom grill emblem, 20% front tinted windows, tinted taillights, Viper alarm, ScanGauge II, Flyzeye Designs V2W Tacoma Interior LED lighting, de-mud flapped, de-badged, extra D-rings under bed bolts, WeatherTech ED floor mats, G4 Elite Fold a Cover ,Toyota bed mat, tailgate theft deterrent device and absolutely no plasti-dip!
    If there is any chance that a person will ever backseat, get the double cab.

5. Aug 14, 2009 at 8:49 AM
    crazydaze_95

crazydaze_95 Well-Known Member

Member:
    ne md
    Vehicle:
    mall crawler till the jeep dies
    6inch fabtech lift kit, 35inch mickey thomphson atz, 16inch pro comp rims, deck plate mod, k&n air filter, diff lock grey wire mod, b&m trans cooler, flowmaster 40 muffler, clarion dxz755mc head unit, pioneer 6x8 3 ways in all four doors, infinity basslink powered subwoofer, mesh grille, power moonroof, geared to 4.88, fabtech light bar, custom skid plate.
    I wanted to get the ex cab when i was looking to buy the tacoma, but as mentioned, i had a 3 month old and his rear facing seat would not fit for the test drive, so i got the double cab. Ipersonally think the x cab is fine for everything except rear facing seats(UNLESS YOU PUT CAR SEAT BEHIND PASS SIDE AND KEEP PASS SEAT FOLDED UP TO THE DASH) but that is crazyness. My opinion is that x cabs look better than double cabs proportionlly, but when you have kids they are allways top priority so i got what THEY needed.SO THE BOTTOM LINE IS, IF YOUR PLANNING ON EVER HAULING A REAR FACING CAR SEAT YOU WILL NEED A DOUBLE CAB!;)

6. Aug 14, 2009 at 8:53 AM
    stevedidj

stevedidj Well-Known Member

Member:
    yeah I was referring to 05-09 models: no 4-cyl in Double Cabs. Older ones, yes.

7. Aug 14, 2009 at 2:14 PM
    pittim

pittim mittip backwards

Member:
    Pennsyltucky
    Vehicle:
    Boujee Prius
    It’sa Lexus, boogie woogie woogie
    First gens dont have any of that fancy traction control stuff.

First gen double cabs only come in auto. I dont know if thats a big deal for you, but I love my manual and would hate to have to drive an auto every day.

8. Aug 14, 2009 at 5:07 PM
    EnolaGaia

EnolaGaia Well-Known Member

Member:
    Midwest USA
    Vehicle:
    '01 & '04 S-Runners
    01 SR: Double Cab conversion, S/C, lowered.
    Actually, some do ... The Tacoma VSC / TRAC system first appeared as an option in the 2004 model year. It was available on V6 PreRunner Double Cabs and 4X4 Double Cabs.

9. Apr 14, 2010 at 7:39 PM
    stareblind

stareblind New Member

Member:
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma SR5
    I have an 09 Access cab. I bought it 2 mos before we found out she was pregnant. The access cab will work with a rear facing seat in the back passenger side if you fold the passenger seat into a table. Then I just fold the base up and return the seat to normal. I know that means no one can ride shotgun but for me... picking the little guy up after work by myself it works out good enough in a pinch. I still wish i had a double though.

10. Apr 15, 2010 at 12:55 AM
    dustinuhls

dustinuhls Well-Known Member

Member:
    Manhattan, KS
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Sport 4wd
    Icon Coilovers, Magnaflow, K&N Intake
    Get a DoubleCab. As stated earlier in this post; they hold their value longer, you can fit the rear-facing child seat, and 5 passengers comfortably. I've had a single cab, Extra Cab, and DoubleCab and will never look back. I'm 6'3" and have to have my seat all the way back. In my Extra Cab, that only left room for shopping bags, gym bags, and in my case a big speaker box. No one could actually sit back there.
    The only downfall when I bought my DoubleCab was that there is NO storage room. The Extra Cab, at least, had storage under the jump seats, but there really is no room behind or under the DoubleCab seats (the back seat sits on top of the gas tank).

11. Apr 15, 2010 at 7:32 AM
    MK ULTRA

MK ULTRA Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JIM
    Huntsville Ala
    Vehicle:
    4X4
    2 questions:

1) Can you not put a rear facing seat (RFS) in the front seat??

Just wondered. Everyone is trying to put the RFS in the rear and not in the front.

2) Will the pass. seat slide up far enough for the RFS to go in the back?

Then a small person coulc at least ride in the pass. seat.

I had a 93 X-CAB 2 WD after my divorce and my kids were growing up. I had 2, a boy and a girl 4 years younger. The girl could ride in the back just fine and even lay down. It was great for trips, camping and going to their ball games.

Now they are grown, I'm remarried, and I wanted another one. I found an 03 4X4 X CAB with low mileage and snagged it. It's not a TRD which I wish it was but I'll make out allright. I don't go out and try to get stuck so it should handle anything we come across.

Great site

12. Apr 18, 2010 at 6:32 PM
    stareblind

stareblind New Member

Member:
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma SR5
    You can put a rear facing in the front pass seat if you use the airbag switch but... I asked my uncle who is a cop. he said basically if you trust your kids life to a switch then yes. I then decided no.

I think i tried to put it behind the passenger rear facing but it wouldnt even come up far enough to lock, let alone seat a passenger. I'm hoping when I can switch to front facing I can but for now its behind with the pass seat table down.

13. Apr 19, 2010 at 6:37 AM
    04prerunner

04prerunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    kyle
    tampa, Fl
    Vehicle:
    2004 prerunner
    stock
    they make 4cyl DC's. I own one

14. Apr 19, 2010 at 8:35 AM
    alex1988

alex1988 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Galveston, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2wd>4wd.... Its all about the cup holders
    Love my double cab. can fit 3 adults in the back with a bit of a squeeze.. 2 large adults fit just fine.I have never had an issue with the bed being too small, i have a bed extender that folds over the tail gate when tailgate is down andthat helps alot. I love my double cab, and could not imagine a xtra cab being as versatile as the double cab is. Went to tennessee for sb and held 5 for 17 hours of driving. Was it comfortable? no. Bearable? Yes. if would have been 4 it would have been very comfortable. And I held 12 peoples luggage in the bed with that bed extender
    [​IMG]

15. Apr 19, 2010 at 8:48 AM
    IamTacO

IamTacO red balls got me!

Member:
    First Name:
    adam
    QC az
    Vehicle:
    01 Prerunner SR5 TRD-Offroad
    4x2 Prerunner. Hankook Dynapro ATM rf10 265-65-16, e-locker FTW! Morimoto d2s bi-xenon HID projectors, Philips 85122+ 4300K, Cobra 75 w/ 3' firefly, Kenwood KDC-MP342U w/ SIRIUS, Line-x bed liner, 4' coretrax(black)
    they are

16. Apr 19, 2010 at 9:57 AM
    RattleTractor

RattleTractor Lube: It's the key to penetration.

Member:
    First Name:
    Harry
    VT
    Vehicle:
    '04 Unicorn Tacoma
    1KZ-TE Diesel, GFC, Pizza cutters, Dorkel
    Hmm yes...I have figured that out since I posted that.

I still don't much like the DC tacos though...5ft bed is too short to be functional (won't fit my skis, snowmobile, an entire yard of mulch or compost, etc.)...AND they're all automatic. That last part is key: I don't own automatic cars or trucks.

17. Apr 19, 2010 at 5:53 PM
    Jason'sLawnCare

Jason'sLawnCare Prepared for Bambi

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Jacksonville Florida
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 Double Cab TRD Rugged Trail
    CBI Moab 2.0, CBI Trail Rider 2.0, CBI sliders w/kickout, Superwinch EPi9.0S, OME sport shocks w/886 coils, OME n182, 1.5" aal, JasonBuilt 3/16th full belly skid, BuiltRight uca, Body Mount Chop, 285/75/16 km2's, Rear cat delete, exhaust crossover rerouted, Fog light anytime, Locker mod, Rear leaf tsb, Debadged, Uws Tool Box, Electric Exhaust Cutout, AFE Pro Dry S, Kiwi Wifi, Diff Breather Relocated, Grom Ipod Adapter, Dual Diehard platinum batteries isolated by BlueSea marine switch
    Only the 1st gens had a dc 4cyl and the 2nd gens DCs can come in manual.

Products Discussed in

To Top