1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

yakima Q-clips slipping for anyone else?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by seakayaker32, Sep 22, 2010.

1. Sep 22, 2010 at 6:13 PM
    seakayaker32

seakayaker32 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Peoria IL
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Off Road DCSB
    TRD CAI, Anytime Locker Mod. Modified Doug Thorley Pipe Bomb exhaust (tail pipe cut off just past the rear axle). All Pro winch bumper w/Tuff Stuff Xtreme 12500lbs winch (don't knock it it was free) All Pro IFS skid plate Custom Transfer Case skid plate Old Man Emu lift Desert products chromoly uniball UCAs Rear Differential breather Mod. Front differential drop kit. Satoshi Grill Bushwhacker Fender Flares Wilschur VT series Tiregate Softopper SOS offroad concept sliders w/kick out. Cobra 29 CB
    So I just installed a yakima rack (I've done this many times before on several other vehicles and never had a problem) on my 05 Double Cab. I began w/ factory recommended measurements, then worked on adjusting from there, and no matter what, the clips keep slipping off the door jam. Anyone else have this issue? Just so you know, yes I am using the correct clips according the the Yakima site.

2. Sep 23, 2010 at 6:23 PM
    brutalguyracing

brutalguyracing BIG DADDY

Member:
    F.U> GUYZ
    broken mods
    not really i have had them on for a year now.....and 1 time the pass side slipped like 3 inches but i readjusted and it seems fine

3. Sep 23, 2010 at 6:24 PM
    MC1983

MC1983 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Indianapolis, IN
    Vehicle:
    2005 DCLB
    What do you mean by slipping off the door jam? When I installed a yakima rack on my other vehicle, it was much easier for two people to install the rack so that you can tighten the clips evenly on both sides at the same time.

When I tried adjusting the clips one side at a time, the tower would slip. Maybe its just a tension problem with the clip and you need to adjust the placement of the tower on the crossbar.

Let me know if you need help as I am also looking into getting a yakima rack for my tacoma in the future.

4. Sep 23, 2010 at 7:51 PM
    romafern

romafern Hug diz nuts

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    80918 Let's meet!
    Vehicle:
    Paid for and saving a shit ton of $$$$$
    Thinking of adding a second battery...
    Try getting some help like MC said. I've always placed my Yakima with my wife and they hold pretty freaking good.

5. Sep 25, 2010 at 2:45 AM
    seakayaker32

seakayaker32 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Peoria IL
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Off Road DCSB
    TRD CAI, Anytime Locker Mod. Modified Doug Thorley Pipe Bomb exhaust (tail pipe cut off just past the rear axle). All Pro winch bumper w/Tuff Stuff Xtreme 12500lbs winch (don't knock it it was free) All Pro IFS skid plate Custom Transfer Case skid plate Old Man Emu lift Desert products chromoly uniball UCAs Rear Differential breather Mod. Front differential drop kit. Satoshi Grill Bushwhacker Fender Flares Wilschur VT series Tiregate Softopper SOS offroad concept sliders w/kick out. Cobra 29 CB
    Thx guys for helping me out.. I've decided that my new Q-towers must be defective. I had a set up on my 4runner, where my rear bar was on control towers, attached to the factory railguides, and the front bar was on Q-towers/clips, attached to the front doorjam. When I got the Tacoma, I went to all four on Q-towers/clips, which meant that I used my two old Q-towers and bought two new ones. The old ones held, the new ones didn't. The caming unit just kept sliding up the channel and pulling the clip with it. We'll see what happens when I get the replacement set.

Thx, Rich

Products Discussed in

To Top