1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Yakima Rack question

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Bad Company, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Jun 23, 2011 at 8:26 PM
    Bad Company

Bad Company [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    03 double cab 4X4
    I have a factory luggage rack on my 03 double cab. I want to put some Yakima racks on it and I was thinking that I need to get Low Riders. Does anyone know if they will fit on the factory rack? Thanks

2. Jun 24, 2011 at 8:43 PM
    Turp

Turp Well-Known Member

Member:
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    02 PreRunner SR5
    K&N panel/ snorkel removed Keyless
    I'm not completely familiar wit the OEM rack, but have a bit of Yakima experience. If the OEM rack uses a track mounted to the roof, the rail rider system uses specific foot mounts to fit track and then the tower nounts to the foot. I used this on my 4 Runner. For that application, it didn't have a OEM rack but had the attachment points, so I just bought generic tracks.

Long story short, you can remove the OEM and replace the whole system. If you have the tracks then you have a good starting point.

http://techmanual.yakima.com/files/1031596D-INSTR.pdf

3. Jun 24, 2011 at 9:15 PM
    sandman29306

sandman29306 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Chattanooga TN
    Vehicle:
    01 PreRunner DC
    Icon COs and rear resis, Deaver leafs. ARB locker in rear. ARB front bumper...Pissed at Gadget for abandoning the Rotrex 3.4 supercharger.
    I can post pics of my Yakima on my DC 01 tomorrow. What are you wanting to mount up there? I got one of their cargo boxes to go up there but we had to get a little creative on the front crossbar mount. It seems even with the DC bars, there isn't much length in between the front and rear bars.

4. Jun 25, 2011 at 1:03 PM
    sandman29306

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Chattanooga TN
    Vehicle:
    01 PreRunner DC
    Icon COs and rear resis, Deaver leafs. ARB locker in rear. ARB front bumper...Pissed at Gadget for abandoning the Rotrex 3.4 supercharger.
    I purchased a Yakima system in order to mount one of their Skybox Pro 16s. Even with the Skybox's internal adjustable bar locks as short as it could go, the bars were too short. So we mounted the front bar not in the place it was probably meant to go...but it works quite nicely and is secure.

[​IMG]

5. Jun 25, 2011 at 1:07 PM
    sandman29306

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Chattanooga TN
    Vehicle:
    01 PreRunner DC
    And now that I am not a complete moron and can load full size pics without a problem, here's two more.

Oh and thank you TW for making my wallet lighter and truck more modded. That chrome bull bar is gone and a ARB piece now occupies that spot. Next to go are the chrome steps.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Jun 25, 2011 at 8:10 PM
    Bad Company

Bad Company [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    03 double cab 4X4
    Thanks Sandman. I am mounting just the bars so I can haul around my kayak. Good lookin DC you got too!

7. Jun 25, 2011 at 9:03 PM
    tacomazach

tacomazach Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Mississippi
    Vehicle:
    01 doublecab 4x4
    Wow, I have a silver DC and my vent visor on the back passenger came off too. weird

OP... just take the factory rack off and sell it to me ;)

To Top