1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Yanked Out Gas Station Hose from Disconnect with my Hands

Discussion in 'Southern California' started by blackhawke88, Aug 25, 2016.

1. Aug 25, 2016 at 12:08 PM
    blackhawke88

blackhawke88 [OP] wo ai ni bao bei ^_^

Member:
    SGV, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Offroad
    So I was carpooling this morning and offered to get my friend gas for his car. We pulled into a packed gas station and he took the only spot that was open. Unfortunately, the pump was on the opposite side of the fuel door so he attempted to make the fuel nozzle reach the fuel door. As he was doing this, I helped him by trying to make the hose straight and tight. As the nozzle reach the fuel door, the hose popped off from the disconnect, and the dead man valve kept any fuel from spilling out. Nothing on the hose hit the ground. The nozzle was still in my friend's hand, the hose was in my hand, and the disconnect was hanging in the air.

I walked into the gas station and told the manager. He comes out, looks at it, and say "It's going to be $100 to repair". I said, "that sounds steep, but if you get it repaired, give me the receipt and I will pay it". He said "I will go in and make you a receipt right now". I laughed and said "that's not how receipts and invoices work. You have to perform the work first, then bill and generate a receipt". He starts getting annoyed and told us to give him our insurance info and that he'll have to report it to our insurance and that will be even more expensive, like $1,000, and that we should just give him the $100. At this point I knew he was trying to swindle us out of money so I took pictures of the detached components, gave him the insurance info (my friend's), and went on my way.

I plan on visiting the other local gas stations in my area and asking them if similar situations have happened, what they did, who they contracted to do the repairs, and how much it usually costs. Then I am going to contact the people who do these repairs and ask them to quote me the repair costs for similar situations.

My questions is, have similar incidents happened to you? What did it cost, if any? Do you have any recommendations?

Pics to follow:
    image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

taco06 likes this.
  2. Aug 25, 2016 at 9:01 PM
    noSKills858

noSKills858 battlescars

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Poway, CA
    Vehicle:
    2003 5-lug Prerunner
    Couple shocks, some old tires, and a bad paint job
    It's just a coupler that wasn't secured, I've had one drop out on me before and just screwed it back in. It's spring loaded so in case it happens while fuel is flowing it shuts. Kind of sounds like they might have a little scheme going on over there... You might not be the only one. Why should you be charged for negligence on their part? I highly doubt insurance is even going to pay for that, they're even tight wads on actual accident repair damage, shoot they might investigate and fine the station.

Gander likes this.
  3. Aug 27, 2016 at 2:22 AM
    locster

locster Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Luke
    Orange County, CA
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB 4x4
    Your car insurance isn't going to do anything about it. It's not like the hose was stuck in the vehicle and you took off with it. You pulled it off with your hand, the insured vehicle had nothing to do with it. I think nothing will come out of this.

I would have just left it on the floor and move to the next pump.

kaptankaos, Doggman and MadDaddy like this.
  4. Aug 27, 2016 at 4:41 AM
    6uam671_tacoma

6uam671_tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    SOCAL (LA/OC)
    Vehicle:
    08 SW TRD OR & 13 SSM TRD OR
    (08)12-15 Front-end conversion w/TRD Pro grill, Icon UCAs, 5100s w/OME 885, 1.5” Headstrong AAL, SCS Matte Black Ray10s mounted with Nitto 265/75/16 Ridge Grapplers (13) Ironman 4X4 UCAs, Bilstein 6112/5160, Headstrong AAL, SCS Matte Black w/Blaze Bronze lip Ray10s mounted with Nitto 285/70/17 Ridge Grapplers
    It's their equipment. Failure to maintain or install it properly is the end result. You're not responsible to pay for it. They SHOULD have insurance to fix stuff like that.

5. Aug 27, 2016 at 4:45 AM
    colinb17

colinb17 If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Build thread in sig...
    Alright Hulk, no need to brag about your strength. we get it, you lift bro.

Dalandser, phx13, pruchai and 8 others like this.
  6. Aug 27, 2016 at 4:46 AM
    Nirvana

Nirvana Tesla Auto

Member:
    First Name:
    Kris
    Morgan Hill, U.S.A
    Vehicle:
    2006 Off Road 4X4
    Icon ext. travel 2.5RR in front, Icon ext. travel 2.0RR in rear, BuiltRight uniball UCAs, Wheelers Superbumps, Goodridge steel braided brake lines, BruteForce front plate bumper w/ Warn M9000+synth line, American Auto Horns ACDF, Pelfrey Bussman mount+Sandman bussman fuse block (soon), 255/75R16s on painted stockers...because I'm not paying $800 to rock rash new wheels you scrubs. Shok Industries 2/0 big 4 upgrade and sound deadener.
    Despite what these fellas are saying about loose couplers, I think you just need to lay off the gym and protein shakes for a bit. You're obviously way too jacked for the world.

Seriously though, I've seen those hoses pulled suuuuper tight from people doing the exact same thing and never seen them pop off. I doubt anything will come from it. Even IF he called your buddy's insurance it's not like he did any damage with his vehicle.

kaptankaos and 2016_dbag like this.
  7. Aug 27, 2016 at 4:52 AM
    Goosed

Goosed Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 DC TRDOR
    None
    A lot of pumps are designed with a quick disconnect system that utilizes a pin inside that can take a certain amount of force before it breaks. When it does, it voids the flow via a shutoff. These pins are usually at the stations and aren't that pricy. If it was a chain, they are not usually allowed to repair their own pumps. If it was a mom and pop place, who knows. The companies like PEI and Gilbarco charge A LOT to visit a site. This is why it may have been costing you some skrill.

8. Aug 27, 2016 at 4:53 AM
    jtweezy

jtweezy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Austin
    Vehicle:
    2014 4X4 DCSB OR V6
    Sounds like the station's problem to me. And yea, by the looks of it (though I know nothing about these couplers), it'll just snap back together. The guy just wanted $100 from y'all.

Edit (after @Goosed posted) -- I stand corrected. It makes sense they can't perform their own repairs, since everything's gotta be measured and inspected for accuracy.

9. Aug 27, 2016 at 5:00 AM
    JDMcQ

JDMcQ Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    The Mushroom Capital of the World
    Animal.

10. Aug 27, 2016 at 5:37 AM
    CaptAmerica

CaptAmerica Asphalt Avenger! TTC#13

Member:
    First Name:
    Cap
    In a van down by the river
    Vehicle:
    Gen 2.9 DCLB TRD Sport w/tech
    Stickers and not enough wax
    Report this to the police. They're designed to break away ON PURPOSE - he can hook it back up any time. It's a scam.

He's probably related to that guy in Brazil who robbed Ryan Lochte. Criminal bastards.

Get us addicted to gasoline, then ROB US every chance they get. Fuckers.

11. Aug 27, 2016 at 5:40 AM
    gainman

gainman Semper Fi

Member:
    SW Florida
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport Supercharged Manual
    Stuff
    Why in the world did you give your insurance info? Tell him to pound sand and be on your way.

12. Aug 27, 2016 at 6:01 AM
    tomwil

tomwil Well-Known Member

Member:
    East Coast USA
    Vehicle:
    2014 Reg Cab 4x4
    Sorry, but Lochte purposely caused damage at that gas station.

The OP did not purposely cause damage. There is a difference.

1truckdriver likes this.
  13. Aug 27, 2016 at 6:08 AM
    koditten

koditten Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kirk
    Central Michigan
    Vehicle:
    04 trd x-cab 4 x 4 3.4l
    Reserected from the dead.
    Move on. Nothing will occur from this. Once the owners find out the attendant was trying to scam you, they will be gone.

That's what those couplings are supposed to do.

SMFH right now for that attendant.

14. Aug 27, 2016 at 6:21 AM
    CaptAmerica

CaptAmerica Asphalt Avenger! TTC#13

Member:
    First Name:
    Cap
    In a van down by the river
    Vehicle:
    Gen 2.9 DCLB TRD Sport w/tech
    Stickers and not enough wax
    It was a joke. Lochte was being a drunken douche, but restitution at gunpoint changed that whole scenario. Gas station owner should have relied on the video evidence and let the cops handle the rest.

Just like this gas station owner needs to view his video evidence.

15. Aug 27, 2016 at 7:06 AM
    tquang

tquang mytacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    mytacoma
    San Dimas, S.Ca
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner SR5
    If He ask you to pay $100 is really cheap. by Laws in Calif. Station have to replace Hose and Nozzle and Breakway or have to Shutdown Station do Vapor leak testing will cost you more than $1000 plus. come back give him $100 before he report it to your insurance

16. Aug 27, 2016 at 8:30 AM
    Nirvana

Nirvana Tesla Auto

Member:
    First Name:
    Kris
    Morgan Hill, U.S.A
    Vehicle:
    2006 Off Road 4X4
    Icon ext. travel 2.5RR in front, Icon ext. travel 2.0RR in rear, BuiltRight uniball UCAs, Wheelers Superbumps, Goodridge steel braided brake lines, BruteForce front plate bumper w/ Warn M9000+synth line, American Auto Horns ACDF, Pelfrey Bussman mount+Sandman bussman fuse block (soon), 255/75R16s on painted stockers...because I'm not paying $800 to rock rash new wheels you scrubs. Shok Industries 2/0 big 4 upgrade and sound deadener.
    Lol @ insurance.

17. Aug 27, 2016 at 3:57 PM
    Pittrider

Pittrider Pitty, those needing correction.

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    B.C.
    Vehicle:
    2016 MGM LTD LB
    Do you need to know, or care?
    Hmmm, station owner's brother is sherriff and cousin judge in that part of the county? :rofl:

18. Aug 27, 2016 at 3:59 PM
    Pittrider

Pittrider Pitty, those needing correction.

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    B.C.
    Vehicle:
    2016 MGM LTD LB
    Do you need to know, or care?
    And this is his uncle.

CaptAmerica likes this.
  19. Aug 27, 2016 at 4:57 PM
    blackhawke88

blackhawke88 [OP] wo ai ni bao bei ^_^

Member:
    SGV, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Offroad
    So the owner called, apologized for the attendant being an asshole, but still sent us an invoice of a technician coming out and replacing the breakaway. I called the company on the invoice and they confirmed it was a legitimate invoice. I asked the company if they have ever heard of someone yanking the disconnect apart using just their hands and they said yea but very very rare. I then drove to two gas stations and asked if they have ever seen that happen and they said never. I took a picture of another disconnect at a chevron and it clearly says the disconnect is rated at 350 pounds of pull force. Right now i think i need to call chevron corporate to complain and hopefully have them pick up the tab or at least give us a fuel card in that amount. I dont think Im liable for a faulty disconnect.
    image.jpg

image.jpg

20. Aug 27, 2016 at 5:04 PM
    ajm

ajm Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    1996 4x4
    I would have hung the damn thing back up and moved on. No way you should be paying for that junk.

Products Discussed in

To Top