1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Yet another broken leaf thread

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by drcaleb, Aug 27, 2013.

1. Aug 27, 2013 at 1:33 PM
    drcaleb

drcaleb [OP] member

Member:
    Vermont
    Vehicle:
    06 Access 4x4 base model
    intermittent wipers, 400w inverter, heated mirrors, illuminated 4wd switch, auxillary reverse lights, oba
    I broke the middle leaf (don't have the aal) on the drivers side. I'm not surprised given the rust and the miles (180k). I have a shop in town that will make and replace just the broken spring, as well as add a leaf for about $600. My concern is that as soon as I do this another will break and I'll be back in after about 6 months. See note about rust. I don't go offroading but I do live on some bad dirt roads. I'm not looking to lift the truck either. They quoted me a 3 leaf fabrication and install for about $800 for both sides. To do a 4 leaf would be about $1k.
    I've talked to the guys at wheeler to get an aal/ repair kit for fairly cheap, but I can't get it until next week and I'm still concerned about the old ones breaking. I need to put a lot of weight in the truck this weekend and have already been driving on this for two weeks, so I'm leaning towards my local shop. Given the prices, what would you in forum land do?

Thanks for the help; I've read about a hundred posts on broken leafs. It's always nice to know that my truck problems are not unique or rare.

Caleb

2. Aug 27, 2013 at 1:38 PM
    medic2230

medic2230 @Koditten Pirate Radio member #002

Member:
    First Name:
    Murph
    Bama! Roll Tide
    Vehicle:
    2011 Taco 4x4 DCLB 2019 TRD PRO 4runner 2018 RAM 2500 mega cab
    20% Tint, OME 3"complete lift with Dakar's, Light Racing UCA's, 285/75/16 Nitto Terra Grapplers, 10 HP TW sticker, Ultraguage, B.A.M.F. Rock Sliders, MedicFab Bed Rack, Relentless front bumper, Air Flow Snorkel, Ham comms, Tech Deck
    I know you don't want to lift but the fix it price is more than a new set of Dakars. For 800-1000 price you could have a complete lift setup.

3. Aug 27, 2013 at 1:55 PM
    TMW

TMW Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Bakersfield, CA
    Vehicle:
    04 Tacoma 4x4 SR5
    Light bar and bumper guard, 3/16 steel skid plates for engine, tranny and transfer box, OME 881 springs with 5100 shocks at mid clip. AAL in rear. Positraction rear diff.
    Considering your time frame and that you carry a heavy load at times I say go with the local 4 leafset.

4. Aug 27, 2013 at 11:08 PM
    chad68

chad68 Master Jedi Member I am...

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    In a (Toyota) van down by the river! Sonoma Cownty
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 reg cab. Modded with more to come
    Polished 16x8 Pro Comp 1069's 4" BS Nitto Mud Grapplers 305/70/16 Magnaflow & glasspack muffler Stainless tip K&N 63 series Aircharger Vent visors Autometer volt and dig. temp. gauge custom mounted Factory chrome rear bumper (not black factory, one) TRD pedal covers TRD skid plate Hurst T handle shift knob Rear Tint Clear bra on the sides Chrome extinguisher Icon non resi coilovers, ICON RR shocks, black seat covers. And some other crap
    I was in the same exact position a couple months ago, I was driving on a broken factory leaf for close to 2 weeks and was biting my nails everwhere I drove. I had to make a choice and quick. I ended up getting (Dakars I think) installed for just under a grand, with CA tax and shims. It gave me 3" of lift which was a lot more than what I wanted but I was pressed for time and my options were few. Forget trying to fix the broken one, just like you said a month or 2 later, another leaf will break and you will be out more money than if you fixed it right the first time.

Toyota wanted over $2,000 to replace the factory shit with new factory shit LOL.

5. Aug 28, 2013 at 4:57 PM
    drcaleb

drcaleb [OP] member

Member:
    Vermont
    Vehicle:
    06 Access 4x4 base model
    intermittent wipers, 400w inverter, heated mirrors, illuminated 4wd switch, auxillary reverse lights, oba
    Thanks for the advice guys. I went local and spent probably too much but got a really nice custom made pack with the extra leafs. Rides so much nicer now; had forgotten what that was like.

6. Aug 28, 2013 at 5:21 PM
    AcadianTaco

AcadianTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Vince
    N.B. Canada
    Vehicle:
    2015 AC TRD OFFROAD
    OME 885X with Bilstein 5100, Dakars with 5125, Wheeler's bumpstops, LR UCA
    Wheeler offers this leaf pack which might work for you! Give them a call and explain what you're looking for.

Oops to late, hope your set up works for you.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2013

Products Discussed in

To Top