1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Yet Another DC Manual Swap Thread

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by osterhagen, Apr 16, 2020.

1. Feb 10, 2021 at 5:03 PM
    Madjik_Man

Madjik_Man The Rembrandt of Rattle Can

Member:
    Colorado Front Range
    Vehicle:
    1998 Ext Cab 3.4 4x4 TRD 5MT, 2004 DC 3.4 4x4 TRD
    Holy dog ears. They’re like satellite dishes.

2. Jun 11, 2021 at 9:04 PM
    ToyotaTod98

ToyotaTod98 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tod
    Vehicle:
    98 limited 4x4 excab white
    Lift ,wheels,micky tires, 4.56 front and rear locker.
    Hey parodice.. I'm fixing to swap out my A340f trans and put in a r150f trans. I am hoping to be able to use the ecm that is already in the truck until I can find one for a Manuel. Did you have any issues with yours when you did the same? I'm not worried about a light coming on I just want to be able to drive it.

3. Jul 18, 2021 at 8:39 PM
    ToyotaTod98

ToyotaTod98 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tod
    Vehicle:
    98 limited 4x4 excab white
    Lift ,wheels,micky tires, 4.56 front and rear locker.
    Hey guys. I just wrapped up my manual swap the other day and I've been driving the shit out of it. And there is the check engine light and the green ect or overdrive light that stays on. But the 4runners runs perfectly. No idling issues or anything. I haven't found a manual ecu so I'm running the one that is already in the truck. All I did was cut off the plug to the neutral safety switch and spliced in two wires and ran them up to the switch on the clutch bracket. I haven't messed with the cruise control yet, but I will . But thanks to this write up I didn't run into anything that caused any problems. The only thing that I will probably have trouble finding will be the ECU and the consule that will fit and match up right with the bottom of where the radio and other controls are. But other than that I am very happy with how it turned out, and my buddy that I did it for, says he don't want to sale it. The whole thing only took me a couple days once I had all the parts. The part that took the longest was taking an old brake line from the donner truck and forming the bottom clutch line that goes on the slave cylinder. So that should tell you how simple it was , with the help of this thread. Thanks guys. And after installing 3 different used a340 transmissions in this thing. Then turning around and spending a third as much on putting this R150f in this thing. I will never mess with trying to put in an automatic transmission again. I knew that day when we were at the salvage yard and the guy said he had a Toyota 5sp.transmission that he would sale us for a hundred bucks, and I looked at it and seen it was an R150f transmission.That we couldn't pass it up . Cause apparently they are getting hard to find. But I urge anyone that has a 4runner or a Tacoma that has a bad auto trans in it, to swap it over to a manual, if they can get ahold of one.And one more thing I would like to add. When I mounted my clutch bracket I used that hole in the very top where that one bolt goes to get my location of where to drill the holes. I just put that very top 1 1/4 " bolt in and then held the bracket up against the fire wall and let the two bolts that go through ( that the master cylinder mounts on) the fire wall touch against it and marked the bottom one. Then took the bracket back out of the way and drilled the bottom one. Then I took the paper gasket that was on the old one and held it up to that hole from the engine side and marked out the other holes and drilled them. I used two small washers on the back of the inside of those two bolts for support since I didn't have that little metal support piece that goes behind the bracket ( against the firewall on the pedal side). Drilled out the one other small hole and then the 1 1/4" hole and mounted it all up. It's not as bad as what I thought it might be after reading what you did, but having some kind of template is a must.( Like you said).

Last edited: Jul 19, 2021
    CrustyTaco likes this.
  4. Mar 29, 2022 at 10:45 AM
    Madjik_Man

Member:
    Colorado Front Range
    Vehicle:
    Hey @Ccrowe323 did you ever install the clutch cruise control cancel switch?

5. Mar 29, 2022 at 12:24 PM
    TMFF

TMFF Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Thornton, CO
    Vehicle:
    01/02 DCLB
    Stuff and junk and things...
    Don't worry about that! toss that shit in the trash! It's barely works anyway!

04Pre_Runner likes this.
  6. Mar 29, 2022 at 12:36 PM
    Madjik_Man

Member:
    Colorado Front Range
    Vehicle:
    :mad:

Oh hey, while I have your attention... in my 04 DC the current orientation of the shifters is: transfer case (driver side), transmission shifter (passenger side)

However with the 5speed the orientation is: transmission (driver side), transfer case (passenger side)

I assume I'll be using my current transfer case when you I swap in the R150F?

If so, does mounting the transfer case to the R150F change the orientation of the transfer case shifter to the passenger side?

Or am I also sourcing a 5speed manual specific transfer case?

7. Mar 29, 2022 at 1:34 PM
    nagorb

nagorb Should be a dang perma mod

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2001 dbl cab 4x4
    I used my push button case. The shifter was off, just installed it backward. It wasn't perfect, but worked till I found the time to cut and weld it.

The cc works way better with a manual trans.

04Pre_Runner likes this.
  8. Mar 29, 2022 at 2:41 PM
    04Pre_Runner

04Pre_Runner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    San Angelo, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC Tacoma SR5 4WD V6
    4WD Conversion, ARB Bumper, OME Suspension
    Here is an article from @turbodb that goes way more in depth on the tcase differences than you probably want. Input shafts are slightly different on a j-shift manual vs auto transfer case. I’ve seen auto tcases installed on manual trucks fine. But I’ve never seen the opposite.

If you use an auto j-shift shifter on a manual truck you’ll have to install it to face the other way. Didn’t realize @nagorb had a push button case. Interesting stuff.

nagorb likes this.
  9. Mar 29, 2022 at 2:45 PM
    Madjik_Man

Member:
    Colorado Front Range
    Vehicle:
    Yeah I've read @turbodb's write up on Adventure Taco many times. So informative.

And seen a few in this thread (and other swap threads) say they just used their auto t-case.

My 04 DC t-case is a j-shift (no push button). Without ever doing, or seeing the swap, I don't know what reconfiguring the t-case shifter looks like. And I didn't quite understand @Ccrowe323 's response earlier in the thread.

10. Mar 29, 2022 at 2:53 PM
    04Pre_Runner

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    San Angelo, Texas
    Vehicle:
    I’ve never done it but in theory you should be able to install the auto tcase shifter to face the other direction. It’ll still have a massive bend in the lever that a manual doesn’t have so I doubt a shift boot would fit over it. I can check later to see if I have a spare manual trans tcase lever.
    https://youtu.be/9nTfcHxDK-8

Madjik_Man[QUOTED] likes this.
  11. Mar 29, 2022 at 3:26 PM
    Madjik_Man

Member:
    Colorado Front Range
    Vehicle:
    That would be great.

That video gives me PTSD. I was in near tears trying to get my shifter back into place on my 98 5MT after changing out the shifter pushing.

04Pre_Runner[QUOTED] likes this.
  12. Mar 29, 2022 at 3:32 PM
    nagorb

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2001 dbl cab 4x4
    The push button works in both positions, but like you say, the rubber boot doesn't fit right, the "leather" cover does though. But it could be different for the j shift though. It's an easy fix if you have a welder.

13. Mar 29, 2022 at 6:55 PM
    TMFF

TMFF Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Thornton, CO
    Vehicle:
    01/02 DCLB
    Stuff and junk and things...
    It should bolt on, I kept the 5 speed drivetrain when I did my cab swap.

Maybe for you flatlanders. It is trash for those of us that drive the mountains, and even worse when you have a supercharger/piggyback/injectors/tune.

Oh is that a slight hill that needs 5% more throttle, Toyota CC: let me floor it for you!

14. Mar 29, 2022 at 7:32 PM
    04Pre_Runner

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    San Angelo, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Bought an R150F/tcase combo out here for shits and giggles and the dumb kid pulling it out of the truck just cut both shifters. Probably not worth the trouble but if @Madjik_Man wants it to weld a lever to it's his.

Probably easier to sacrifice the automatic lever since he would have a threaded end still for a knob.
    IMG_5645.jpg

nagorb[QUOTED] likes this.
  15. Mar 29, 2022 at 10:07 PM
    nagorb

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2001 dbl cab 4x4
    In higher altitudes yes, it's not usable, but I've never had a vehicle that the cc worked well in the mountains with changes in grade. When I swapped I left the cc disengaged for a few years, it was useless even down here. A few years back I hooked it back up and it works way better than with the auto, none of that full throttle crap.

16. Apr 7, 2022 at 8:11 AM
    Ccrowe323

Ccrowe323 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cory
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2001 Tacoma 3.4 DC 5speed TRD OR
    No, I don’t think I would ever need to use it. I’m sure it may come in handy once in a blue moon but to me it wasn’t worth wiring up.

And to answer your other question about the J-shift. The shifter itself comes off of the T-case fairly easy. And what you do is just pull it out, turn it 180 degrees and put it back in. I have a j shift and that’s how I did mine. It swaps the orientation so that it is sitting on the other side of the shifter.

It has been a while since my swap and I’m just remembering as well that I had to swap the input shaft of the T-case, the shaft that goes into the transmission from the T-Case. The T-case input shaft for an auto is slightly larger than that of one that pairs with a manual transmission. So if you happen to have both, it isn’t a hard job, tedious but not difficult, to swap them out to keep your J-shift. Just watch for the keys in the gears, it’s easy to pop them out and that can be kind of a bitch to get them back in. If you have any other questions let me know, happy to help out. I can take some pictures as well to help explain better.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2022
  17. Apr 7, 2022 at 10:00 AM
    Madjik_Man

Member:
    Colorado Front Range
    Vehicle:
    awesome.

thank you very much.

Ccrowe323[QUOTED] likes this.
  18. Apr 7, 2022 at 4:18 PM
    nagorb

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2001 dbl cab 4x4
    I believe the trans is still available.

I'll bet we could can bypass the shipping and jump it up there. I volunteer the first leg.

19. Apr 7, 2022 at 7:11 PM
    nagorb

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2001 dbl cab 4x4
    I'll start a thread if you want it. I'm tired of hearing you contemplate:D

20. Apr 8, 2022 at 6:57 AM
    Madjik_Man

Member:
    Colorado Front Range
    Vehicle:
    lol

it’s all good. I’m still garage-less so this project is way in hold.

nagorb[QUOTED] likes this.
To Top