1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

yet another lift question

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by 8ballshifter98, Jan 12, 2010.

1. Jan 12, 2010 at 7:48 PM
    8ballshifter98

8ballshifter98 [OP] Giggity giggity, giggity goo

Member:
    First Name:
    Garrett
    Sanford, NC
    Vehicle:
    1998 4cyl SR5, 5 speed
    Memphis front door speakers, Pioneer rear door speakers, 600 watt Dual stereo amp, 4 Q Power 1" tweeters, Pacer chrome bullet-hole rims, chrome bull bar
    I know everybody and their brother posts their own scenario in which they can't decide what lift to get for the tires theyve got, but I don't feel like searching for an hour to find questions about my exact setup. I know this is pretty damn hypocritical but somebody help haha. I want 3 inches of lift with my new 31" tires for my 1998 4x4 AC. Iv done a pretty good amount of research and I'm not going to use my setup offroad incredibly often, infrequent enough for me to consider a body lift :)eek:). I know everybody here thinks a body lift is a sin, but I'm 17 years old, and if I can't find a suspension lift for a very reasonable price then it'll be a body lift for me. There are just so many options and terms I don't really understand.

This is a lift I would definitely consider:
    http://www.toyteclifts.com/index.ph...ategory_id=63&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=72
    but I don't really understand the options, I know what the front suspension spacers are and AAL, but what are shackles? What would be best for what I want? 60% for looks, 40% functionality.

Also, down the complete other path:
    http://www.suspensionconnection.com/cgi-bin/suscon/5533.html
    this is the body lift I was thinking about, and I really don't think it would expose too much of the frame. This also includes brackets to raise the front bumper back to the body. So I really think this would look clean.

http://www.toyteclifts.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=63&Itemid=72
    Finally, this is the link to my setup on toytec. Could anybody point me to a better solution if there is one?

I know I could have done my research, but as far as a technically sound and good looks opinion goes, you guys are absolutely the best. Seriously, you people know more about our trucks than the dealerships, and 99% of the trucks I see on here are beautiful. Much thanks in advance

2. Jan 12, 2010 at 8:13 PM
    offroadTRD

offroadTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Dinwiddie County, Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tacoma V6 SR5 4x4 TRD- Fabtech
    Fabtech 3" adjustable coil-over system, Alcan 8-leaf spring pack, Fabtech 3" body lift.
    first of all.... I haven't had a problem at all with my body lift and I wheel hard often. Second of all..... I don't think you need a body lift or suspension lift for 31" tires. I had 31's on my truck since the day i bought it stock before I jacked it up. 31's should fit fine with no rubbing at all unless you just want to get a lift for a taller look.

3. Jan 13, 2010 at 5:50 AM
    8ballshifter98

8ballshifter98 [OP] Giggity giggity, giggity goo

Member:
    First Name:
    Garrett
    Sanford, NC
    Vehicle:
    1998 4cyl SR5, 5 speed
    Memphis front door speakers, Pioneer rear door speakers, 600 watt Dual stereo amp, 4 Q Power 1" tweeters, Pacer chrome bullet-hole rims, chrome bull bar
    yeah, I was really just wanting a taller look. People on here have told me I could fit 32"s if i could deal with a little rubbing

4. Jan 13, 2010 at 7:12 AM
    wolfgang123

wolfgang123 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Skyler
    Statesboro, GA
    Vehicle:
    1997 TACOMA - 4x4
    if yourjust going for looks buy the toytec best seller and a 3 inch body lift. 6 inches of lift with 31 inch tires would make the truck look pretty tall

5. Jan 13, 2010 at 3:20 PM
    dylandercole

dylandercole Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Santa Cruz Mountains, CA
    Vehicle:
    03 SR5 TRD 4x4 5-speed
    sway-a-way 2.0 coilovers, 1.5'' AAL, 1'' toytec shackle lift, Go-Rhino 3000 Grille Guard, Kicker KS6502 speakers, JVC KD-S24 Head unit, billstein 5125 rear shocks, Deck Plate mod, K&N air filter, Wheelers offroad front and rear braided brake lines, diff breather mod, power slot rotors, ebc yellow stuff pads
    if your on a budget go with billstein 5100s in the front and an AAL in the rear.... or shackles. I have both an AAL and shackle lift in the rear. downsouth motorsports gives TW members a great deal.

6. Jan 13, 2010 at 8:35 PM
    STLharry

STLharry Lube: It's the key to penetration.

Member:
    First Name:
    Harry
    VT
    Vehicle:
    Yeti Rescue Package with 240k miles
    '95-'97 camouflaged, ARB bull bar, RAT Products skid plate kit, sliders, Green Mountain Customs rear tube bumper and overland bed rack, King coilovers with Icon neoprene covers, defenestrated sway bar, OME Rear Suspension: CS046R leafs + AAL/5125 shocks/NWOR greasable hardware/U-bolt flip kit; S13WL Tundra calipers/pads/rotors, IPF H4 lenses and bulbs, IPF 968 DCG 100W lights, clapped out CB radio, Aussie-spec FJ60 inclinometer, ARB CKMA12 compressor, Superwinch S9000 with 12V Guy clock switch, 4' Hi-Lift, deckplate mod/grey wire mod/dif breather extensions, Duratrac tires, Sockmonkey bedside decals, boat cupholder, Dakine bike pad
    For almost 3" of lift, you could go Billy 5100s and OME 881 coils up front and AAL and/or lift shackles in the rear (AAL is better).

DO NOT do a body lift! They look terrible and are very troublesome sometimes.

As for tires, I have OME suspension (2" up front, 2.5" rear) with 1" spacers, and I fit 32s with no rubbing at all and may even be able to fit 33s. So if you got 2.5-3 inch lift and spacers, you could fit 32s no problem.

To Top