1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Yet ANOTHER low transmission fluid story

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by Knoxvol, Jun 8, 2016.

1. Jun 9, 2016 at 4:20 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    Correct, among other issues.

2. Jun 9, 2016 at 4:33 AM
    Ruggybuggy

Ruggybuggy Well-Known Member

Member:
    NW ONT, CANADA
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra SX
    Exactly. Pretty sure there isn't a low level sensor but I'll check today while I'm at work. Your right about the quantity added. If we ask for a quart only use a touch the whole quart is charged to the customer. I've had many older vehicles come in that have had low transmission fluid level and not a problem. Only complain when there really low is that the customer goes around a corner and the transmission goes into neutral. On the other had when we check the fluid level on a non sticK Toyota vehicle there is a very detail procedure which involves the use of the Techstream. Most actually use a special service tool starting in 2016 to measure the level. Not sure how the back yard guys are doing this.

jsinnard and SamChieftan like this.
  3. Jun 9, 2016 at 5:03 AM
    BlkTaco47

BlkTaco47 Unhinged

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Black AT DCSB 4x4 TRD
    JL Audio C2690tx Speakers Alpine MRV-F300 JL Audio 10" Sub - Full length Ported Sub Box Kicker Tweeters BFG KO2's 265/70/17 Tint N-Fab Bars Husky WB Mats AVS Visors Console Divider Tacoma Tonneau Cover ALL PRO 1.5" wheel spacers aFe CAI w/ Dry filter TRD Wheels Custom Remote Starter TRD Pro Grille ROAV Dash Cam 3" RC Lift Turn-down exhaust pipe TRD PRO Shift Knob vF Tune
    Can you state the dates?

4. Jun 9, 2016 at 5:30 AM
    The hammer

The hammer Who’s the Wrench?

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tacoma SR5 4X4 DCLB TSS Pkg 17X8" BSW-Cooper DIscoverer AT3 4s P265/65/17
    Underworld Flex trifold, tinted, TRDPRO grill, TRDPRO shift knob, etc,etc
    We really don't need a Toyota certified transmission tech, or a Toyota transmission engineer to get to the bottom of these allegations.
    We just need common sense and 1+1 reasoning.
    The low transmission allegations started way back with the 2nd Gen, or so I've heard. Additionally, I've heard these same allegations with other make/models with sealed transmission in other forums.
    But as of yet, I see no rash in transmission failures on the 2nd Gen, or other makes/models with these same allegations.
    Nor have I heard of any mass recalls or law suits pertaining to this issue, and I first started reading these allegations of low ATF fluid in GM forums as far back as 2008.
    Hope that helps!
    Cheers!

SamChieftan[QUOTED] likes this.
  5. Jun 9, 2016 at 6:19 AM
    glider_guider

glider_guider Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Red Tacoma TRD OR 4x4
    It's not an exact science, but I can look at the side of the bottle after I'm finished and see that I have 1/2 quart, 1/3 quart, or none, etc. left over. I don't know how they do it at the service departments, but I know I put in an entire quart plus a little bit of another quart ... thus I added approximately 1.1 quarts. Exact - no, but I figure it's a pretty close number.

See my attachment for the procedure. Page 5 tells how to do it without a techstream.

Attached Files:

SamChieftan[QUOTED] likes this.
  6. Jun 9, 2016 at 6:31 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    '09 to first quarter '16. Best I can offer.

PROseur likes this.
  7. Jun 9, 2016 at 7:17 AM
    muld00n

muld00n Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma Sport 4x4 V6 - Silver Sky
    NFab W2W Nerf Bars
    Hey John, I too live in Knoxville and will be taking my 2016 Sport in for 5K service soon. Do you mind me asking which dealer did your service?

Thanks.

Kilokato likes this.
  8. Jun 9, 2016 at 7:22 AM
    SLO TRD

SLO TRD Living the SLO life.

Member:
    First Name:
    Gene
    San Luis Obispo, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Magnetic Grey TRD Sport DCLB
    Snugtop, 5100's, weather tech mats floors, truck bed, Tinted front windows.
    Same here, mine was 1.5 low too. But, I didn't wait. I took my Truck back after only having it for a couple weeks. Dealer agreed to check level with no issue.

9. Jun 9, 2016 at 9:35 AM
    SamChieftan

SamChieftan Well-Known Member

Member:
    Dallas, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD OR AUTO 4x4 Super White
    Interior LEDs, Truck Mat, Door sills
    WOW Thanks for this great information. My apologies when I wrote my post; I was ONLY referring to "many" service departments where I worked. My job was to FILL the transmission to the optimum level, the customer had already been charged for the whole quart; so the whole quart was what was listed on the work order.

Thanks for this attachment. WOW things are WAY more complicated then when I was a FULL TIME Floor tech. Disconnect pins TC and TG which activate the engine idle, then the D shift indicator comes on for 2 seconds when the temp is 95 - 113F ... etc etc .... WOW all this and more to CHECK the transmission fluid level. NO WONDER Toyota doesn't do this all the time; that is a lot of tech wages/money to JUST check the fluid level.

What a big procedure; in the OLD DAYS we just had the engine idling, and we pulled out a dipstick to check the level.

:hattip::hattip::hattip::hattip::hattip::hattip::hattip::hattip:

WestGa42 likes this.
  10. Jun 9, 2016 at 10:33 AM
    glider_guider

glider_guider Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Red Tacoma TRD OR 4x4
    Yeah, the procedure is much more involved than the "old days" and overly time consuming, which is why dealerships don't want to do it unless they absolutely have to. I timed the procedure on a cold truck, mid 70's ambient temp, and it took about 8 minutes to get to temperature, and another 5 or so minutes to get above the max checking temp, so the process itself takes less than 15 minutes, but they may have to wait hours for the temp to come down enough to check it after someone drives it in.

I sure do miss the dipstick.

asuchemist likes this.
  11. Jun 9, 2016 at 11:21 AM
    helimech09

helimech09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    South Alabama....or South Louisiana if I'm working
    Vehicle:
    Black 2016 DCSB and White 1989 Mazda B2600i 4x4
    Gunmetal metallic Tacoma side badges, debadged tailgate, blacked out chrome grill surround, customcargrills.com grill with Toyota badge color matched to other badges, color matched rear bumper covers, Black headlight mod, 30" light bar stealth mounted in front bumper, Bilstein 5100's all around, OME 887's, Icon uniballs UCA's, Wheelers AAL, Spidertrax 1.25" spacers, 17" Gunmetal SCS SR8 wheels, Cooper STT Pro 285/70/17 Tires
    Mine just died in the middle of the highway. Hot at/transmission light then the whole dash lit up. I quit looking at the dash and coasted off the road without power steering.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2016
  12. Jun 9, 2016 at 11:29 AM
    Tunngavik

Tunngavik Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Off-Road Access Cab 6 speed manual
    KC-HiLites Fog Lamps, Kicker speaker and tweeter upgrade, USB in center console, Power tailgate lock, Soundproofing, 32" lightbar
    WTF :confused: Did Toyota secretly get bought out by Ford?

dot_tom likes this.
  13. Jun 9, 2016 at 11:41 AM
    dot_tom

dot_tom It's a 4Runner

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Vehicle:
    2017 4Runner TRD OR
    I have the same issue. Truck has been in 3 times. twice they filled the trans after a check. First tech scan said it was Ok. Not sure why this is so hard to fix but I still have the R to D delay, "slipping" feeling when trans is in higher gears, and when making turns it feels like the whole truck just dies and starts back up or falls out of gear. Hard to explain.

I am almost hoping my trans just quits like @helimech09 's just did so they have to fix a problem.

deergetr likes this.
  14. Jun 9, 2016 at 12:14 PM
    dot_tom

dot_tom It's a 4Runner

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Vehicle:
    2017 4Runner TRD OR
    I was not happy with the service people at the dealership I purchased my truck at. Toyota Corp or America, whatever it is, said to take it to a different dealership. Problem is, now I have put my leveling kit on, 265/75's, and spidertrax spacers on ( don't hate its just for the mall). I am sure they will try to say its "the lift".

15. Jun 9, 2016 at 12:33 PM
    Gen3NM

Gen3NM Well-Known Member

Member:
    Land of Enchantment
    Vehicle:
    2016 SR AC 4cyl MT 4X4 Silver Sky
    Leer 100XR Ceramic tint 20 rear, 40 front Toyota bed mat WeatherTech mud flaps Method Race Double Standards Michelin LTX AT2s Ravelco
    I beg your pardon for this foolish question, but my dealership assured me that this is an issue with the auto transmission only. Should I be concerned with this with my 5 speed MT?

16. Jun 9, 2016 at 12:41 PM
    rkd1119

rkd1119 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    L.A. (lower Alabama)
    Vehicle:
    ‘23 Trail Edition Ice Cap

It would be VERY unlikely. Manual transmissions have grease or lube in them, not regular transmission fluid. They would get filled when they are built, like an automatic would, BUT there's no transmission cooler on a manual so no chance for loss of fluid when the cooler is installed at the port.

Yours can also be checked much easier. It should have a plug on the side you take out and stick your finger in and down. If you touch the grease you're good. Do this when the transmission is COLD though. If you've driven it for a couple hours I imagine that lube could get pretty hot. No need to burn a finger.

Gen3NM[QUOTED] likes this.
  17. Jun 9, 2016 at 12:44 PM
    smitty99

smitty99 I also bought a 4Runner

Member:
    Scottsdale
    Vehicle:
    16 TRDORDCSB 4x4 A/T (loaded w/ JBL)
    6112s/5160s & 3-leaf AAL;ubolt flip kit;Superbumps
    Potential policy gap?

1. What is Toyota's written process or instruction for PDI/PDS at the dealer level?
    2. What does Toyota promise to the customer upon delivery of the vehicle as far as what will be performed in a PDS/PDI?

If Toyota is promising to provide a check of fluids, they should be more specific on what fluids they will check. If toyota is requiring dealers to check this fluid then they should be providing the resource allocation (time) to the dealer for this process.

My guess is, right hand doesn't know what in the fuck the left hand is doing.

dot_tom likes this.
  18. Jun 9, 2016 at 4:15 PM
    helimech09

helimech09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    South Alabama....or South Louisiana if I'm working
    Vehicle:
    Black 2016 DCSB and White 1989 Mazda B2600i 4x4
    Gunmetal metallic Tacoma side badges, debadged tailgate, blacked out chrome grill surround, customcargrills.com grill with Toyota badge color matched to other badges, color matched rear bumper covers, Black headlight mod, 30" light bar stealth mounted in front bumper, Bilstein 5100's all around, OME 887's, Icon uniballs UCA's, Wheelers AAL, Spidertrax 1.25" spacers, 17" Gunmetal SCS SR8 wheels, Cooper STT Pro 285/70/17 Tires
    False alarm, crankshaft position sensor

19. Jun 14, 2016 at 8:58 PM
    Ruggybuggy

Ruggybuggy Well-Known Member

Member:
    NW ONT, CANADA
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra SX
    It appears on or PDS sheet if we checked the level but because Toyota only pays and hour to do the PDS the dealerships won't do it. Not a chance your going to get the PDS done in a hour if they add the ATF fluid check.

20. Jun 14, 2016 at 9:01 PM
    o0oSHADOWo0o

o0oSHADOWo0o Just lurking in the darkness

Member:
    First Name:
    Shadow
    Va Beach
    Vehicle:
    2012 Double Cab Short Bed 4x4 TRD Sport
    Just a few LEDs...
    Did it look like this?

[​IMG]

tomwil and helimech09[QUOTED] like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top