1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Yet another Tacoma brake upgrade to Tundra

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by TheFed, Feb 11, 2015.

1. Aug 18, 2016 at 1:24 PM
    synergy10

synergy10 @synergy10.sd

Member:
    San Diego
    Same setup I have.

Delta00[QUOTED] likes this.
  2. Aug 18, 2016 at 2:46 PM
    bayareayota

bayareayota Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2004 Toyota Tacoma extra cab v6 Trd
    Prinsu 32" K02 OME
    you get the 13WL from napa?

3. Aug 18, 2016 at 2:58 PM
    synergy10

synergy10 @synergy10.sd

Member:
    San Diego
    I don't think Delta did (it's in his build thread), but I got my set from Napa. Everything else I went with Toyota OEM parts.

Delta00 likes this.
  4. Aug 18, 2016 at 3:14 PM
    BYJOSHCOOK

BYJOSHCOOK Mr. Mojo Risin

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Woodstock and Alpharetta Ga
    Vehicle:
    2000 SR5 4WD Lunar Mist
    Check Out My Builds
    He got the Amazon kit, comes with everything except the brake lines

Delta00 likes this.
  5. Aug 18, 2016 at 8:55 PM
    bluebruin

bluebruin Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Vehicle:
    2001 Tacoma Double Cab 4WD Short Bed TRD SR5
    none
    hello - just bought a 2001 Tacoma. Its my first Tacoma. I have mostly had jeeps up till now. The truck was just in the shop getting a timing belt. I asked them to check out the brakes that shudder and don't stop particularly well. They said I need:

Front brake caliper set left/right
    Front brake pad set left/right
    turn font rotors
    turn rear brake drums
    clean and adjust rear shoes
    Inner and outer rear axle seals

Its $950 and mostly labor. Got me thinking... why not upgrade? Found this thread. Good stuff. My questions are:

1. does this upgrade really improve stopping power? I use my truck for work and hauling trailers with up to 3000lbs. If there is no major difference, I don't have much time these days with my new business and I might want to just get the work done with stock parts in the interest of time. Unless there is somebody in Denver on this forum I could pay to do it who's already done their tacoma.
    2. I am upgrading to 17" soft 8 rims so I can use jeep take off BFG mud tires. 255/75R17's. I assume this will fit inside the 17 rims ok since it fits 16" rims
    3. how much in parts does it cost to accomplish this upgrade?

Thanks!

6. Aug 25, 2016 at 8:45 PM
    frizzman

frizzman Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    04 XCab 4x4 TRD/OR
    OME 2.5,Tundra 17s,Falken Wildpeak AT3W hitch w/ 7-pin, ARE cap, JVC HU w/BT, HID/LED lights
    If you routinely haul a trailer you will notice a difference. 255/75 are taller and .5" skinnier, you will definitely rub the frame at full turn (unless your rims are different backspace than stock). I do even with the lift.

If you are mechanically inclined this can be done in an afternoon, having a friend handy with beer makes it more enjoyable :D

7. Aug 29, 2016 at 11:15 AM
    240less

240less Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    Vehicle:
    1998 Tacoma 4x4
  8. Aug 29, 2016 at 11:20 AM
    MatthewMay1

MatthewMay1 I'm an amateur professional.

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Lone Star Republic
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged '01 TRD
    I looked a week or so ago for someone else and I couldn't find the Amazon kit anymore

9. Aug 29, 2016 at 11:26 AM
    Delta00

Delta00 ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

Member:
    First Name:
    Troy
    Chandler AZ
    Vehicle:
    2002 Toyota Tacoma 4WD
    Check Build
    This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  10. Aug 29, 2016 at 11:32 AM
    MatthewMay1

MatthewMay1 I'm an amateur professional.

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Lone Star Republic
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged '01 TRD
    Delta00[QUOTED] likes this.
  11. Aug 29, 2016 at 1:55 PM
    BYJOSHCOOK

BYJOSHCOOK Mr. Mojo Risin

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Woodstock and Alpharetta Ga
    Vehicle:
    2000 SR5 4WD Lunar Mist
    Check Out My Builds
    Fuck! The price went up like $30

Silver02Taco likes this.
  12. Aug 29, 2016 at 10:58 PM
    bluebruin

bluebruin Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Vehicle:
    none
    ok.... I am about ready to do this upgrade. I need the extra braking power for trailer towing. I've asked some shops and they won't do it for insurance reasons since its not equipment that was intended to go on a tacoma, but rather a tundra...

ebay kit with 13WL calipers, pads, rotors $312 and I guess I can send in my cores for a $80 refund.
    wheeler brake lines $72.50 +ship

Is there anything else I need to order? Toyota brake fluid? Should I replace the fluid completely? Truck has 165k on it and who knows what brake work has been done. The guy was not much for maintenance I am finding...

I did brake line replacement on my jeep YEARS ago and honestly don't remember what all was involved in bleeding them. Has anybody done a step by step Gen 1 bleeding post/tutorial? I was reading something in another post about 5 places to bleed not just the 4 corners...etc. pressure bleeder vs not. etc etc. I just want to make sure I do this right. I am driving my kids around in this Tacoma.

Brakes make me nervous... I am "mechanically inclined" so to speak, but have not done much work on cars. I am looking for the best and most comprehensive step by step instructions to guide me. Would this work (see post #3)?: Thanks

13. Aug 29, 2016 at 11:02 PM
    bluebruin

bluebruin Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Vehicle:
    none
    here is some bleeding info that looks helpful

14. Aug 30, 2016 at 9:52 AM
    synergy10

synergy10 @synergy10.sd

Member:
    San Diego
    @bluebruin that's the link I posted up on the first page I also followed it to a tee from what I can remember (I did the upgrade a few years ago). Went with Napa calipers, Toyota pads/rotors and Wheeler's extended brake lines.

This job practically consists of replacing old parts with new. The only thing you really need to "modify" are the dust shields. They need to be trimmed to clear the larger calipers and bent back (at least that's what I did) to clear the rotors.

As far as bleeding the brakes go, I did all 5 locations and did a gravity bleed. Took a while but worked great for me. Just try to find the sequence for our trucks (most cars start with the farthest from the master cylinder to the closest). This is not always true so look it up and start bleeding.

Oh and since you're finding out that the previous owner wasn't keeping up on maintenance, I say go ahead and replace as much brake fluid as you can. Siphon out the old brake fluid from the master cylinder, fill with new fluid then start bleeding. Nothing like looking at your brake master cylinder reservoir and seeing clear, clean brake fluid.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2016
  15. Aug 30, 2016 at 7:57 PM
    bluebruin

bluebruin Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Vehicle:
    none
    sounds good. I suppose, if I can't get them bleed well enough and end up with the dreaded soft pedal, I can take it into a shop and have them re-bleed them right if I can't get it to work completely. the shop is only about 1 mile from my house.... I could make it there on less than perfect brakes I guess.

so, if I am going to do this, I might as well do the whole shebang. Front tundra upgrade, rear drums/shoes, and axles seals/bearings. fun fun.
    I am looking on Amazon, but don't see many great choices for replacing the rear drums. my local shop wants to turn them, for $110 in labor... so, I figure I might as well put that money towards just replacing them since I can't turn them. Does anybody have a good source for some good drums that fit and work well?

And then there are the seals/bearings. I have a press so I could do the bearings *I think*. What do you think about this kit? Sounds like you definitely wanted the updated design of the seals to prevent future leaks.
    http://www.lowrangeoffroad.com/toyo...ra-ultimate-rear-wheel-bearing-kit-w-abs.html

thanks to all for the input and advice.

16. Aug 30, 2016 at 7:59 PM
    bluebruin

bluebruin Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Vehicle:
    none
    oh, and what do you think of replacing the shoes vs. re-using mine? is this something that is likely worn out if the drums need to be turned? My local shop only had put on the estimate to "clean" the shoes.

17. Aug 30, 2016 at 8:26 PM
    Digiratus

Digiratus Adventurer

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Roaming the PNW
    Vehicle:
    The RedHead
    2002 XtraCab TRD 4x4 SCv6 AutoTrans With Lots of Mods ADS COs w/Compression Adjusters Camburg Uniball UCAs Whiteline Lower Control Arm Bushings Kartek 7" Limit Straps Plastics Guy Front Bumpstops Custom Alcan Springs +800 lbs +3" ADS 10" Stroke Triple Bypass w/Resi Rear Shocks Custom Rear Shock Relocate All-Pro U-bolt Flip w/Timbren Bumpstops 4.88 Nitro Gears ARB Front Locker ARB Twin Compressor Black 17x8 Konig Countersteer Type X 285/70r17 Falken A/T3w Gunmetal 16x8 SCS Ray10s 255/85r16 Maxxis Bighorns Limited Edition (Relentless) Elite Front Bumper Smittybilt X2O 10K Winch Diode Dynamics SS3 Sport Selective Yellow Fog Lights in the Bumper Diode Dynamics SS3 Pro 4,000 Kelvin SAE Driving Lights with Clear Lenses on the Bumper Morimoto D2S Projectors XB35 Ballasts + 4300K Bulbs Badland Sliders FrankenFab Tire Carrier Swingout bumper w/kitchen BudBuilt Front & Bellypan Skids BAMF Rear Diff Skid Dometic CFX 55im Fridge/Freezer Alpha II Hardshell RTT Badland Custom Bed Rack Denso 210-0461 105 amp alternator Dual Northstar 24F AGM batteries BlueSea 7622 ML-ACR Battery controller Peak DBI Dual Battery Voltage Monitor Magnuson MP62 Supercharger w/2.37" Pulley Haltech Elite 2000 Standalone ECU Denso 650cc Fuel Injectors Doug Thorley Headers Aeromotive Stealth 340 Fuel Pump TransGo A340F Reprogramming Shift Kit Magnaflow Hi-Flow CAT, Magnaflow 18" Muffler w/Vibrant Resonator 13WL Brake Calipers Braided Steel Brake Lines ScanGauge II OBDII Scanner Kenwood TM-71A Dual Band Ham Radio Larson 70CM/2M Antenna Uniden 520xl CB radio 3' Firestik Adjustable tip antenna Pioneer DEH-P9400BH HU Alpine Amps & Type R components (F) and coaxials (R) Wet Okole Seat Covers Weathertech Digital Liners Deck Plate Mod 1" Diff Drop Carrier Bearing Drop
    If you aren't replacing the shoes, why would you want to put on new drums? :confused:

18. Aug 30, 2016 at 9:10 PM
    bluebruin

bluebruin Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Vehicle:
    none
    to save money on replacing things that don't need to be replaced? the shop said the shoes only needed to be cleaned. just wondering. guess its probably not worth it if I will have it all torn apart. sorry, I am not much of a mechanic. I am just trying to figure this out as I go.

19. Aug 30, 2016 at 9:25 PM
    Digiratus

Digiratus Adventurer

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Roaming the PNW
    Vehicle:
    The RedHead
    2002 XtraCab TRD 4x4 SCv6 AutoTrans With Lots of Mods ADS COs w/Compression Adjusters Camburg Uniball UCAs Whiteline Lower Control Arm Bushings Kartek 7" Limit Straps Plastics Guy Front Bumpstops Custom Alcan Springs +800 lbs +3" ADS 10" Stroke Triple Bypass w/Resi Rear Shocks Custom Rear Shock Relocate All-Pro U-bolt Flip w/Timbren Bumpstops 4.88 Nitro Gears ARB Front Locker ARB Twin Compressor Black 17x8 Konig Countersteer Type X 285/70r17 Falken A/T3w Gunmetal 16x8 SCS Ray10s 255/85r16 Maxxis Bighorns Limited Edition (Relentless) Elite Front Bumper Smittybilt X2O 10K Winch Diode Dynamics SS3 Sport Selective Yellow Fog Lights in the Bumper Diode Dynamics SS3 Pro 4,000 Kelvin SAE Driving Lights with Clear Lenses on the Bumper Morimoto D2S Projectors XB35 Ballasts + 4300K Bulbs Badland Sliders FrankenFab Tire Carrier Swingout bumper w/kitchen BudBuilt Front & Bellypan Skids BAMF Rear Diff Skid Dometic CFX 55im Fridge/Freezer Alpha II Hardshell RTT Badland Custom Bed Rack Denso 210-0461 105 amp alternator Dual Northstar 24F AGM batteries BlueSea 7622 ML-ACR Battery controller Peak DBI Dual Battery Voltage Monitor Magnuson MP62 Supercharger w/2.37" Pulley Haltech Elite 2000 Standalone ECU Denso 650cc Fuel Injectors Doug Thorley Headers Aeromotive Stealth 340 Fuel Pump TransGo A340F Reprogramming Shift Kit Magnaflow Hi-Flow CAT, Magnaflow 18" Muffler w/Vibrant Resonator 13WL Brake Calipers Braided Steel Brake Lines ScanGauge II OBDII Scanner Kenwood TM-71A Dual Band Ham Radio Larson 70CM/2M Antenna Uniden 520xl CB radio 3' Firestik Adjustable tip antenna Pioneer DEH-P9400BH HU Alpine Amps & Type R components (F) and coaxials (R) Wet Okole Seat Covers Weathertech Digital Liners Deck Plate Mod 1" Diff Drop Carrier Bearing Drop
    Generally, the drums don't need turning or replacing before the brake shoes wear out. I was just curious why the shop wanted to turn them in the first place. Do you have high mileage on your truck? Like more than 200K? Rear brakes usually last a really long time unless they are ruined by leaking axle seals.

20. Aug 30, 2016 at 10:28 PM
    bluebruin

bluebruin Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Vehicle:
    none
    don't know. they just said they need to be turned and shoes cleaned. yes, passenger side seal is bad and they said needs to be replaced. have not noticed a bunch of gear oil, but will check under there better tomorrow. I only have 165k miles. I am wondering if maybe I'll do the front brakes only to start, then see how it is. The reason I was thinking do it all, is if I am buying and replacing the brake fluid, maybe I don't want to do it in 2 stages since I would have to replace and bleed again later? Or, can I somehow replace the rear later and keep the brake fluid. i read I need 5 12oz bottles, and that adds up at $12-15 a bottle for toyota (since it has the right additives etc?) to be honest, doing seals, bearings, rear brakes, and front brakes at once is a bit much. I don't have that much time and money so maybe its better to do it in 2 stages and eat the cost of the fluid. Unless you can pinch off the lines and avoid doing the brake fluid again on the rear. I think I saw that somewhere when reading in here.

Products Discussed in

To Top