1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

You Can Dip This - Or - You Can Dip That

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Nick54, Feb 4, 2011.

1. Feb 4, 2011 at 9:45 AM
    Nick54

Nick54 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Mentor Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD Sport
    ARB Rear Locker & Compressor, Bakflip F1, Antennex 13" flexable antenna, WeatherTech Floor Liners, WeatherTech Side Window Visors, Tacoma Bed Mat, Demello Rock Crushers, Dynamax Ultraflow SS Muffler, TSB 4-Pak Leaf Springs, AFE Pro Dry Filter, Redline Hood Struts, Color Matched Angry Eyelids, Combo Lock Bed Compartments, Bed Mat, Pop-N-Lock, Wet Okoles, Goodyear Duratracs on ProComp 7033's, M101A2 Trailer, Grillcraft Mesh Grill, Light Racing UCA's, King OEM Performance Remote Reservoir Adjustable Front & Rear Shocks, JVC NT3HDT, Blue Sea Aux Fuse Panel, BAMF Behind Grill Light Bracket, Kragen 55W 7" HID's, CBI Front Receiver, Home Link Garage Door Opener, FlyEyez Light Unit, Bud Built Front to Back Skids...
    Ok all you Plasti-Dip fans, I have read many threads on spraying emblems on the truck and I am very intrigued. I do have a couple of questions though and would like to primarily hear from dippers that did the job 1-2-or more years ago. Not that I am discouraging new dippers from posting mind you. I figure I can learn from anyone at this point. From the age old dippers, how has the product held up over the year(s) to car washes, to weather, particularly north east and north central parts of the country? I'm still not seeing the ease of removing the overspray, i get that it won't stick to the paint, just don't get how it peals of the body and leaves a nice sharp edge at the letters. Please chime in with do's and don’ts.
    Thanks in advance for the help

2. Feb 4, 2011 at 9:48 AM
    MotoTacoma

MotoTacoma Adrenaline Addict

Member:
    Pencilveineeya
    Vehicle:
    14 tundra crewmax trd
    tacoma sold 11/13/13 Not much on Tundra yet, just Husky Weatherbeaters front and back
  3. Feb 4, 2011 at 9:50 AM
    MowTaco

MowTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    South Dakota
    Vehicle:
    03 GMC Sierra
    I failed miserably with my badges. It supposedly will stay behind on the badges when it is peeled of f. I couldn't get it right

4. Feb 4, 2011 at 10:48 AM
    jdkeller

jdkeller How many words can be fit in this s

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Inland Empire, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma Prerunner TRD Offroad
    Dome light LED, 6000k HID Headlights and fogs, Grillcraft black mesh, rear 5100's, Total Chaos UCA's, 285/75/16 BFG KM2's, Spidertrax spacers, Blacked out emblems, cb,kenwood tm270 ham radio, All Pro 3" leaf pack, Fox 2.0 coilovers, Revenge Fab Sliders, u bolt flip kit, Pioneer avh4200, bed bar with light and antenna, Wet Okoles, Weathertech Mats, Wet Okole Armrests, Rear KR Fab bumper, bed mat, N-Fab spare tire carrier with full size spare on 16" TRD rim, Bedlinered flares and grille. Camburg Spindles, All Pro front fenders.
    You have to use a razor or exacto knife to cut around the area first. Then when you pull it will leave a clean rip. You have to take your time too.

5. Feb 4, 2011 at 10:57 AM
    superwhite10

superwhite10 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Garner, NC
    Thought about doing this but how would you get inside all the letters? Such as the a and o

6. Feb 4, 2011 at 11:03 AM
    jdkeller

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Inland Empire, Ca
    Vehicle:
    Dome light LED, 6000k HID Headlights and fogs, Grillcraft black mesh, rear 5100's, Total Chaos UCA's, 285/75/16 BFG KM2's, Spidertrax spacers, Blacked out emblems, cb,kenwood tm270 ham radio, All Pro 3" leaf pack, Fox 2.0 coilovers, Revenge Fab Sliders, u bolt flip kit, Pioneer avh4200, bed bar with light and antenna, Wet Okoles, Weathertech Mats, Wet Okole Armrests, Rear KR Fab bumper, bed mat, N-Fab spare tire carrier with full size spare on 16" TRD rim, Bedlinered flares and grille. Camburg Spindles, All Pro front fenders.
    Toothpick.

7. Feb 4, 2011 at 11:08 AM
    Nick54

Nick54 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Mentor Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD Sport
    ARB Rear Locker & Compressor, Bakflip F1, Antennex 13" flexable antenna, WeatherTech Floor Liners, WeatherTech Side Window Visors, Tacoma Bed Mat, Demello Rock Crushers, Dynamax Ultraflow SS Muffler, TSB 4-Pak Leaf Springs, AFE Pro Dry Filter, Redline Hood Struts, Color Matched Angry Eyelids, Combo Lock Bed Compartments, Bed Mat, Pop-N-Lock, Wet Okoles, Goodyear Duratracs on ProComp 7033's, M101A2 Trailer, Grillcraft Mesh Grill, Light Racing UCA's, King OEM Performance Remote Reservoir Adjustable Front & Rear Shocks, JVC NT3HDT, Blue Sea Aux Fuse Panel, BAMF Behind Grill Light Bracket, Kragen 55W 7" HID's, CBI Front Receiver, Home Link Garage Door Opener, FlyEyez Light Unit, Bud Built Front to Back Skids...
    Someone suggested a coctail straw or a straw from a WD40 can cut to a point, I think that would work.

8. Feb 4, 2011 at 2:37 PM
    superwhite10

superwhite10 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Garner, NC
    Hm didn't think of that! May have to try this mow when I do my valence. Thanks for the tip

9. Feb 4, 2011 at 2:44 PM
    jdkeller

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Inland Empire, Ca
    Vehicle:
    That's not going to be sharp enough for the valence. It wi look like crap if you try and cut it with that.

10. Oct 16, 2011 at 7:08 PM
    Kevin

Kevin Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    North Mississippi
    Vehicle:
    09 Pre-Runner DCSB
    Just tape off the valence very well and run a knife GENTLY around the edges before pulling it all off. I dipped my badges and valence so far. No complaints yet, but I def plan on doing it the right way and painting everything. The product is great for a little try before you commit to paint tho.

11. Oct 16, 2011 at 7:12 PM
    Redfox1

Redfox1 'Stralia! Riding Roo's and wrangling koalas

Member:
    First Name:
    Conner
    Santa Paula, CA and SLO
    Vehicle:
    09 Prerunner Sport TRD
    Browning Floor Mats, 275/70/17 BFG All-Terrain T/A's, Procomp 7089 wheels,Rear Spring TSB, Bilstein 5100's, LED roof light, seatbelt chime disabled, CB, UWS Toolbox,
    now that your picture is preview pic for this thread yes it is very misleading ha

12. Oct 16, 2011 at 7:17 PM
    FY01CPO

FY01CPO Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    CT
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4x4
    black tube steps, side marker turn signals, 15% tint and window strip, EGR vent shades, fighter pilot/cockpit mod, console and glove box auto on LED, anytime fog light mod, 3000k HID fogs, bed mat wing nut mod, locking bed storage bin mod, smoked tail lights, plasti-dipped rims, blacked out emblems, black tail pipe, tail gate hose clamp, rear seat utility/dog shelf with rear center console access door.
    When I did mine (<2 yrs ago) I didn't need to use anything to cut the 'dip'. Just make sure when you spray it that you angle the can as best as you can to ensure the spray gets all around the edges. For whatever reason, it just pulls off the paint and miraculously 'cuts' itself away from the letters. And x2 on the toothpick for the inside of the letters. It will also be needed in the small areas between letters. I would really be careful trying to use a knife or anything like that if you decide to do that. Oh, and make sure you really give it a good cleaning prior to spraying with rubbing alcohol or something to remove any grease, dirt, oils, etc and let the stuff dry for a good hour or more. Haste WILL make waste if you don't.

I can't speak for using something sharp around the valance either.

To Top