1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

YOU GOTTA SEE THIS...Apache chopper crash Astan

Discussion in 'Military' started by GrIlLa, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Mar 25, 2012 at 7:35 AM
    Airborne09

Airborne09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Fort Richardson, AK
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    4" Rough Country, flat black alluminum wheels, 33" BFG A/T, custom exhaust
    Ha, I'm actually on this FOB right now (Sharana) and I was in the shi**er when that thing came in. When it hit the ground, I'll tell you it wasn't pretty lol

Especially cleaning up the mess they made.

2. Mar 25, 2012 at 11:55 AM
    wrmathis

wrmathis Dark Lord of the Sith

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Bonaire, GA
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma TRD OR 4x4
    parts and stuff
    38 million is an exaggeration on price. the Apache is about 25-30 million per unit

3. Mar 25, 2012 at 11:56 AM
    THExBUSxDRIVER

THExBUSxDRIVER Victory is reserved...

Member:
    First Name:
    GOO5E
    Vehicle:
    Old Man Tan!
    Not enough.
    What if they had an equivalent package to the TX PRO??

4. Mar 25, 2012 at 4:54 PM
    dbronzo

dbronzo Protected by Armor Tech Offroad

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    Fayetteville, NC
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Sport 4x4 w/ some Mods
    King Coilovers, LR UCA's, All Pro Sliders, ATO Full Skids, Pioneer AVH-P4300, 4.56 Gears, Front and Rear ARB Air Lockers, ATO Full Wrap High Clearance Bumper w/ Tire Carrier, ATO Hybrid Bumper, Smittybuilt XRC 8, Lightforce 240 Blitz, Rock Lights
    That's because they added in the cost of the munitions that were on board.

5. Mar 25, 2012 at 5:00 PM
    PWhite13

PWhite13 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Prescott
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    06 Silverado Crew Cab 5.3
    So you were actually there when this happened? That must have been insane!

6. Mar 25, 2012 at 5:03 PM
    Darth_Yota

Darth_Yota I intend to live forever, or die trying.

Member:
    First Name:
    Cam-moron
    Somewhere USA
    Vehicle:
    Dented, broken-down ‘08 hoopty
    Ain’t good’nuff for insta
    There are old pilots, and then there are bold pilots. There are no old, bold pilots.

7. Mar 25, 2012 at 5:09 PM
    Fightnfire

Fightnfire Recklessly tired

Member:
    Marysville, WA
    Vehicle:
    2021 GMC Sierra 1500 AT4 (Prev 09 Access Cab V6 4X4)
    Starting over with a new GMC AT4 Satin Steel Metallic Softopper, Bilstein 5100's @ 1.75 in the front, TSB Rear, 17x8.5 Lvl 8 Guardians, 265/70-17 Falken Wildpeak AT3W, Scooped, Anytime fog mod, Osram Nightbreakers, LED Interior lights, Debadged, Painted valance, Removed rear head rests, De-flapped, Hidden Hitch installed, Weather Techs, Flyzeye'd A/W/A, Cover Kings.
    That's insane .. but I gotta say. When I was 16 I did a doughnut in my Nova in an intersection near my house. I spun around about 3 times and at the last second while straightening out I lost control and popped the rear fender of the car I was now facing.

I know, cool story bro.

The moral? I was 16. I think I stopped showing off for others while in a vehicle somewhere around 19 or 20.

I'm glad he's alive, I'll call him a douchebag. I'm more glad he didn't kill other people.

8. Mar 26, 2012 at 10:52 AM
    optimuspeterson

optimuspeterson Custom User Title

Member:
    Germany
    Vehicle:
    08 DC SPORT 4WD
    DDX-512 BU Camera Kenwood 10" self powered sub Weather Tech mats BHLM Grillcraft Grill Reversed turn/parking
    I was stationed in Sharana in mid/late 2010 and flew out of there every day. First, this doesn't look like either side of the base (granted I spend the majority of my time on the aviation side). Second, the mountains are not nearly that close and Sharana really sits up on high ground. I was never there with snow on the ground so maybe it changes the perspective.

This is a highly visible video, especially within the aviation community right now. If you are not actually stationed at one of the few FOB's around Sharana please let me know which one it happened at.

9. Mar 26, 2012 at 11:13 PM
    Twizter68

Twizter68 AMS1(AW), USN retired

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Weatherford, TX and Fahad al-Ahmed, Kuwait
    Vehicle:
    08 Crew Cab Prerunner
    I can fix that.

Hammer out the dents, some rivets here, some epoxy there, little bit of safety wire, judicious use of speed/ordie tape, she'll be good as new!

Seriously, glad no one bought it on that one...the pilot needs his ass kicked for putting all the ground grunts at risk.

Edit: And considering where I work, we fix the tail rotors for those, I can expect to see them when?

10. Mar 27, 2012 at 6:00 AM
    docjake

docjake Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fredericksburg VA

It wasn't at Sharana. North East of there just outside the ten mile ring.

11. Mar 27, 2012 at 6:14 AM
    jgwheeler17

jgwheeler17 I'm a zit. Get it?

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    07 Double Cab TRD Off-Road 4x4
    neglect, mostly.
    you fo realz homie?

12. Mar 28, 2012 at 6:29 AM
    optimuspeterson

optimuspeterson Custom User Title

Member:
    Germany
    Vehicle:
    08 DC SPORT 4WD
    DDX-512 BU Camera Kenwood 10" self powered sub Weather Tech mats BHLM Grillcraft Grill Reversed turn/parking
    Thanks.

13. Mar 28, 2012 at 8:06 PM
    vamunoz

vamunoz RLTW

Member:
    First Name:
    Vic
    KY
    Vehicle:
    '10 4WD DC MGM Tacoma
    I just saw this post and read everyone's comments and I am appalled to have read this on the forum among so many military members. There are so many blatant untruths I honestly dont know where to begin. But I feel the need to clarify some things on behalf of my friend that is now at Brooke Army Medical Center for treatment.

First of all, my friend did not lose his arm in the crash, he broke his right leg/tibia, broke his wrist, and tore his MCL/ACL.

Second, they were not "showing off"... they were asked by ground elements to conduct a show of force in the local area. (the maneuver is called a return to target) Pilots are trained in combat maneuvers and conduct them on a regular basis. Unfortunately, in that area of Afghanistan, the room for error is much smaller due to the restrictions put on the aircraft from the elevation/terrain.

Third, the Army accident investigation team has not released any information so how could any of you know if the pilots were being brought up on any charges? All of that crap is just hearsay.

Come on guys, don't do these guys a disservice by talking about them when you weren't there, and have no idea what was going on at the time. All you are doing is making yourself sound like an idiot, and making worse a situation that has already been horribly portrayed by the media.

I recommend that you gather all the facts before you pass judgement on those people that chose to serve and put themselves in harms way.

14. Mar 30, 2012 at 11:47 AM
    Taco Gunner

Taco Gunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2006 Access Cab TRD Offroad
    An RTT for who? If there were enemy in the area, why were there people just walking around...and why in the hell would some dude be filming?

If it was a "show of force" what was the purpose of narrowly missing the building in the video? And if he was familiar with the area, why did he not plan for the reduced power margin? (He is pulling the shit out of that thing based on the rotors.)

From what little I see and based on what I know about both the Apache (crewed one) and helicopter operations (crewman on one), this crew did is guilty of one of two things: showing off and busting up a perfectly good helicopter or lacking proper judgement in maneuvering the aircraft beyonds its capabilites for the environment in which they were operating. Either way, they destroyed a good bird due to lack of good airmanship.

By the way, you are basing your comments on reportedly what this crew told you. I am sure the pilot did not tell the investigator "yeah...we were screwing off and bent metal. My bad."

If there was indeed a SOF requested, they will find out who requested it, why, and the sitrep during the event. If I were the investigator, I would ask those in the area why they were just milling around if there was a concern of enemy activity within 200 yards (based on what the position and altitude of the -64) of their position.

My money says they were screwing off.

15. Mar 31, 2012 at 9:31 AM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.

Products Discussed in